Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > General Gaming Forums > The Forum of Holding > Fallout Series

Notices

Fallout Series For posts concerning the Fallout series of games (Fallout 1-4, New Vegas, their expansions, spin-offs and DLC).

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Thu, 10th Jul '08, 3:17am   #1
Aikanaro
Gems: 31/31
Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 11,757
Level: 31
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Aikanaro has a spectacular aura aboutAikanaro has a spectacular aura aboutAikanaro has a spectacular aura about
Default Fallout 3 - Banned in Australia

Fallout 3 has been refused classification in Australia, due to the general idiocy of our censorship bureau and the dumb**** fundie South Australian Attorney-General who blocks the introduction of an R18+ rating for games.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/...australia.html

(this might belong in the Alley, actually, but I guess the Fallout forum needs some love)
Aikanaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 10th Jul '08, 4:57am   #2
Bahir the Red
Gems: 18/31
Latest gem: Horn Coral

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,832
Level: 17
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Bahir the Red is on a distinguished road

Well that sucks, particularly since I'm in Australia now. Nevertheless, I'm not sure I would buy the game anyway.
Bahir the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 11th Jul '08, 1:36am   #3
lwelyk
Gems: 3/31
Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 482
Level: 7
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
lwelyk is on a distinguished road

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/...australia.html

there's why. Not the blood and gore, but the drugs. Yeah...
lwelyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 14th Jul '08, 11:41pm   #4
Deathmage
Arrr!

Like: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,853
Level: 21
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements BlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Deathmage is a jewel in the roughDeathmage is a jewel in the roughDeathmage is a jewel in the rough

Well, sucks to be you.
This might possibly mean that it'll be banned over here in NZ as well. Mind you, a PS2 game I see all the time called "BMX XXX" is happily labelled "Banned in Australia!".

If the government really thinks that people will go out and do drugs because a freaking video game - in a post-apocalyptic world with mutants - allows them to do so, then they're probably crazy. Hell, there were drugs in Morrowind and Oblivion too...
Deathmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 11th Dec '08, 6:34am   #5
Dice Points for Social Group Discussions
SPS Account Holder

Like: 84
Liked 77 Times in 48 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 11,815
Level: 32
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Bronzed Blogging God(dess)Wanna ShareJunior BloggerBlogbieNew Delivery
Dice is a jewel in the roughDice is a jewel in the roughDice is a jewel in the roughDice is a jewel in the rough

What is funny is that they are so concerned about drugs but it doesn't matter that you can go and blow the heads off of people and steal all of their possessions with little more than bad karma for a repercussion.
Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, 11th Dec '08, 11:59am   #6
Caradhras
I may be bad... but I feel gooood!

Like: 9
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 10,432
Level: 30
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Junior BloggerBlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM Experienced
Caradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud of

I think that what poses a problem is the way you deal with addiction in game. All you need is a shot and you're good. Anyone who has watched a movie about drug abuse or experienced some form of addiction first hand knows that it doesn't work that way. What they wanted was to make the cure available for casual gamers without being a hassle and I believe that is a mistake.

That being said the game is rather prude on the sex level, you can't even bond with a significant other. I don't mean that it should be graphic but there should be at least some dialogue options
Spoiler!

Truth be told if it wasn't for the graphic violence (and the point I made about addictions) the game would be suitable for a teen audience. I think most people will laugh about the gore but it is also a reminder that violence is messy and disturbing.

There is also the fact that you can play a sadistic cannibal...
Old Thu, 11th Dec '08, 12:04pm   #7
Darion
SPS Account Holder
Resident Dissident

Like: 27
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,037
Level: 14
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Posting ProfessionalA Little Bird Told MePosting GuruNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
Darion has a spectacular aura aboutDarion has a spectacular aura about

Germany is also pretty tight assed about such stuff!

I've been buying imported games since I was of legal age!

It is pretty sucky! Hope you Aussies will somehow manage it!
Old Sat, 13th Dec '08, 12:30am   #8
Sir Belisarius
SPS Account Holder
Distinguished Member
Treasurer
Viconia's Boy Toy

Location: If there is a bright center of the universe, I'm in the city it's farthest from!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 10,552
vBActivity - Bars
Sir Belisarius will become famous soon enough

No mention of sneaking up on enemies and planting grenades in their pockets, either?!?!? (Personally, one of my favorite and funniest ways to kill people now that my sneak skills is up to 100!!!!)
Old Sat, 13th Dec '08, 1:52am   #9
Caradhras

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Caradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Belisarius View Post
No mention of sneaking up on enemies and planting grenades in their pockets, either?!?!? (Personally, one of my favorite and funniest ways to kill people now that my sneak skills is up to 100!!!!)
You could do that in Fallout 1 with explosives. It also had the gore moreover it had specific references to drugs and sex (Fallout 2 also included condoms which was a great idea).

I don't see anything that makes Fallout 3 worse (in that sense) except the fact that addictions were pretty hard to cure. In Fallout 1 you had to go cold turkey and Fallout 2 introduced the Jet, the worst drug in the wastelands. Fallout 3 just made it too easy to deal with drug consumption. There are no consequences and that is a bad choice.
Old Sat, 13th Dec '08, 4:54am   #10
The Magister
SPS Account Holder
Gentlemanly Wizard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,537
Level: 23
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Junior BloggerBlogbieHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
The Magister is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to The Magister

You guys do know it's no longer banned in Aus right?
The major problem with the drugs was the morphine (which they changed to Med-X) and the actual use of the drugs. They renamed the drug and removed the animation (however if you watch some NPCs they still do the animation of using a Stimpack to heal.
Old Sat, 13th Dec '08, 11:39am   #11
Caradhras

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Ok then it's really silly. I don't see the problem with names or animations, IMO it's just PC crap.

Getting a shot (an injection) in the arm is bad, but knocking someone's head with a sledgehammer or blowing up an atomic bomb are not?

That is complete nonsense.