Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > General Gaming Forums > The Playground > Fallout Series

Notices

Fallout Series For posts concerning the Fallout series of games (Fallout 1-4, New Vegas, their expansions, spin-offs and DLC).

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Fri, 10th Jul '09, 11:01pm   #51
Death Rabbit
SPS Account Holder
Straight, no chaser

Like: 21
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 16,845
Level: 37
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!
Death Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I never had crashing problems with Oblivion, but Fallout 3 crashes on me every 15 minutes or so (often when I bust out the Pip Boy, or enter VATS). I purchased it via Steam download (they ran a 50% off special on 4th of July weekend, so I got it for $25), so I don't have any discs, and I don't know what version of the game it is (though I would assume it's the latest patch, considering the format). I'm going to download the latest patch anyway, update all drivers (even though I did so recently) and finally get around to buying more RAM, see if that helps.

But I LOVE this game. I'm only to Megaton and already I'm more excited about this game than I've been in a long time.
Old Sat, 11th Jul '09, 12:49pm   #52
Cal Jones
I'm not dead yet

Bubble Trouble Champion! Stack The Cats Champion!
Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 831
Level: 10
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
Cal Jones will become famous soon enough

Yeah, it's possible it's down to needing a patch.
I've had one CTD in VATS and a couple on exiting the game (this happened in Oblivion as well). The worst was a complete lock-up which meant I had to hit the reset button. But (tough wood) it's been fairly stable so far.
I've got my own tin shack in Megaton now and a few nice weapons, but am constantly running out of ammo. That's the annoying thing - having to carry around a small arsenal in order to make sure I have something I can use if the ammo on my favourite gun runs out. Of course, if you go 100% melee, that's not an issue. But in Fallout, guns are cool.
Cal Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 11th Jul '09, 1:44pm   #53
Son of Bhaal
Gems: 17/31
Latest gem: Star Diopside

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,316
Level: 15
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Son of Bhaal is on a distinguished road

Check the version of patch you have I had similar issues when I first got the game and then realised it was crazily out of date patch wise and then the crazy crashing fits stopped and all was happy in the waste land again... well kinda *evil snigger*
Son of Bhaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 11th Jul '09, 5:04pm   #54
Death Rabbit
SPS Account Holder
Straight, no chaser

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!
Death Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeDeath Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I just updated my nVidia drivers, Realtek sound drivers, patched to v1.6, and upgraded from 1 to 3gb of RAM. That seems to have done the trick, though I don't know which one of those was the magic pill.
Old Mon, 13th Jul '09, 1:29pm   #55
Sir Belisarius
SPS Account Holder
Distinguished Member
Treasurer
Viconia's Boy Toy

Location: If there is a bright center of the universe, I'm in the city it's farthest from!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 10,560
Level: 30
vBActivity - Bars
Sir Belisarius will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Rabbit View Post
I just updated my nVidia drivers, Realtek sound drivers, patched to v1.6, and upgraded from 1 to 3gb of RAM. That seems to have done the trick, though I don't know which one of those was the magic pill.
Did the same thing, installed every patch and driver I could find. But once I updated my Nvidia drivers, that seemed to do the trick. At least, I played for about 2 hours last night with no crashing...WhooHoo!
Old Tue, 14th Jul '09, 11:52am   #56
Son of Bhaal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

After reading this thread recently decided to have a dig at a bit more or a diplomatic build with having a CHA of 9 to start off with. It actually suprised me how much it opens the game up with extra dialogue in comparison to other titles.
Old Tue, 14th Jul '09, 7:29pm   #57
Death Rabbit
SPS Account Holder
Straight, no chaser

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Yes, that seems to be the case. I always play do-gooder characters, so the "dropping charisma and telling everyone to eat it" style of play never works for me. I'm level 8 right now, my speech is around 30 and my charisma is at either 6 or 7. I do okay in conversations, but they always seem to fail when I need them the most (it's rare when my success percentage is above 50%). I think in my next run-through, I'll bump that up quite a bit more. I've missed out on better rewards fairly often, and while the game is still playable, I'm a "squeeze every drop" kind of player, and hate the thought that I've missed out on something.

I'm near 50 in both Small Guns and Energy Weapons, and I don't know if I see the need for big guns at this point, at least not with this build (I'm more of a sneaky/sniping type).

EDIT: By the way, I've not had a single crash (or even slowdown) since the hardware and software updates. Game runs like buttah.
Old Wed, 15th Jul '09, 10:59am   #58
Son of Bhaal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Glad to hear your running smoothly now.

On another note I noticed how well Perception helps out in the open field for checking for nearby enemies, I normally have Perception at 9 but I almost halved it this time round and have found how often enemies can sneak up on you, I'm constantly checking my six when I run through the wastes!