1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starting a Ps:T game [NO SPOILERS PLEASE]

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Caradhras, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    At last, I'm starting Planescape: Torment.

Apart from the fix I downloaded from the link on SP. Is there anything else I'd need? I'm not interested into "fixes" that allow unlimited stacking or things like that. I've downloaded the maximum HP per level fix from SP (always liked having the maximum).

I've only browsed through the manual, it's written that the appendix is filled with spoilers!

My first question is about screenshots, do I have to exit the game to paste in paint or some other program or is there a way to take screenshots directly in game.

My second question is about the widescreen mod, I wonder if anyone has tried this mod for PsT. I'm not used to the graphics of the game yet, they are not bad but I know they could be better, I'm concerned about playability and the interface being distorted so the text might become too small to be read. So if anyone could provide advice or suggestions about this mod, I'd sure appreciate.

I was slightly surprised by the character creation (although I already knew about the amnesia). I'm going for an all brains and no brawn concept.

The game started pretty well with Morte being awfully helpful...

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I strongly recommend Platter's Fixpack.

Yes, just press the Print Screen key. Screenshots are saved in the subdirectory ScrnShot under your install directory.

Unfortunately this doesn't work in dialogue mode; you'll have to ALT+TAB to the desktop and paste those screenshots into Paint. :(

Sorry, I haven't tried the Widescreen mod.

Good choice! :thumb:

And good luck! Enjoy! :)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] As I explained in the other thread regarding screenshots, you take them as per the Screenshot-taking guide on SP, except for any screens with dialogue on, which require an external program to capture them. The guide on SP explains to use IrfanView for that (easiest way).

The widescreen mod has been discussed in this forum; dig around a bit and you should find the thread. There is a mod to make text more readable available on SP.

Edit: Montresor beat me to it.

4. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Platter's Fixpack is a good choice, like Montresor said.

There are also Qwinn's PS:T mods (Fixpack, Unfinished business and Tweaks), which are newer. I have them installed on my current PS:T run and so far, everything runs smoothly.
    Since this is your first run of the game - there is some content added with some of the components of these mods, but you don't have to install those bits. IIRC, the info and readme of the mods is rather detailed - all added content is plainly marked as such - so you shouldn't have problems seeing what is new.

As for widescreen mod, I tried it, but uninstalled it - the text was too tiny with it for my liking, and PS:T has a lot of text - and story. However, this is just my opinion - you might like the way it looks with the mod better.

And Brain over Brawns and Everything Else is definitely the best pick for PS:T. ;)

Have fun with your game. :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  5. Caradhras

Media:
    Thanks for the recommandations. I've already installed the fixes, I will instal the other mods when I'll restart the game. First time without mods is the way to go.

I'll try the Widescreen Mod later then. Graphics aren't that bad (somehow it reminded me of Lionheart).

Been banging around the 'ive looking for some jink and lost memories. Some barmies walking the streets. Got to be careful. I'm no berk so I think I'll keep rattling my bone-box until I find what I'm looking for.

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Can't believe you haven't played PS:T yet! I'm sure you will love it :).

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Amazing game. The best RPG out there by a country mile.

8. Caradhras

Media:
    Thanks cutters. I'm loving it. The setting is great and I know quite a bit from PnP so it's not that hard to get my bearings.

I remember seeing PST on the shelves when it first got out but at that time my PC couldn't run it and I thought there was nothing wrong in waiting a year or two so the price would go down and I would upgrade my rig. Plus I wanted that game in English and not in French so no point in hurrying.

It's been years and during all that time I've only heard good things about it so it's high time I played that game. So far it's flawless. I'm just annoyed by the graphics (now I can understand people who find it hard to get into Fallout because of its outdated graphics).

Might give the Widescreen mod a try.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You can also just play it in a window and it'll look much better (though smaller).

10. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Planescape is The Ultimate Setting, PnP or otherwise, IMO.
    And this game does it justice.

I knew you'd love it. It's near impossible not to.

11. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Heh, welcome to my world :p. Seriously though, resolution mod does wonders.

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    A new thread on PST and I'm late to the party :(

I was going to suggest using Qwinn's fixpack, as it has all Platter's plus a few other ones, but if you've already started the game just keep going and enjoy :)

To be honest the graphics never bothered me. The resolution isn't the best but the style is so unique that I quickly forget I'm playing at 640x480. Besides most of the game is about reading text anyway :)

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    It's like you're 'playing' a book, but can countrol where the story goes. Only, it's one of the best 'books' you're ever likely to come across.

14. Caradhras

Media:
    Thanks for the tips. I tried the UI mod, it works but I guess my screen isn't big enough (17" not bad for a laptop but still) the texts are too small so it's back to normal for now (might try windowed mode but I generally find it a bit distracting).

I'm taking my time to explore the hive, so many people to talk to. Got into a bit of a scape and killed some berks as well.

I've taken some screenshots and I will select a few for a new album. ;)

15. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    This is the best way to play the game. Don't rush, take your time, absorb the game's atmosphere. The first playthrough's the best IMO.

16. Caradhras

Media:
    Getting used to the graphics. Did some fighting, died a few times. Didn't really care about not dying to be honest (so different from BG in which the PC's death means game over).

Some really good and well thought NPCs in there. I found Sere really interesting. Others stand out as well like Dak'kon, Ebb Creakknees, Candrian, Fell... You can appreciate the difference with the Baldur's Gate series in that respect since we depart from the more basic sword and sorcery genre (the basic staple of the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons franchise closer to Conan the Barbarian or the Lord of the Rings) to enter the realm of dark fantasy (somewhat Lovecraftian if we consider the similarities with the Great Old Ones and the Dreamlands).

Some of you have already pointed out the use of the Planescape setting in game. I must say I'm impressed on that account. It manages to translate it accurately from Pnp and at the same time present it as being complex, twisted and compelling.

I sure hope I didn't mess things up so far... The Nameless One can be bad tempered. :grin:

EDIT: updated the album with a few screenshots feel free to comment, thanks.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/album.php?albumid=104

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  17. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I just hope for the poor Sigillians that you're not playing an "Olath Fearn"! :grin:

18. Caradhras

Media:
    I mean to finish my BG2 run after I complete PST (I have to start over from Irenicus Dungeon since I lost my saves and that is annoying).

Don't worry my Nameless protagonist is rather friendly. So far I've not been thinking in terms of evil or good (although in the logic of the planes it makes sense to use the alignment system). In my game the Nameless doesn't care much for money but he can hold a grudge.

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    Without giving anything away, you'll learn LOADS about The Nameless One and his previous 'incarnations' and it's fascinating. Damn, you've made me want to play it through again!

20. Caradhras

Media:
    Then I'm glad. ;)

Time for more experiments...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.