1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Blogs Updated!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I've installed the latest version of our blogging software which brings with it quite a few nice new features. Here's a quick list of some of them, but you'll probably find a few more by looking around:

* Blog Customization - users may customize their blogs in the same manner that they can customize their user profiles
    * Sidebar Blocks - users may create custom blocks to display in their sidebar. These blocks can be rearranged by drag and drop.
    * Custom Pages - users may create custom pages to be displayed in their blog.
    * Tags - tag support has been included.
    * Featured Entry Manager - multiple entries can be featured on the blog home page now.
    * Private Entries - users may set specific entries to be private while leaving their blog open.
    * Blog entry views counters added.
    * Blog entry social bookmarking icons added.

As always - questions or comments welcome!

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since this is relatively soon after the previous update, I'll just reuse this thread to announce another update. This one is mostly bugfixes, but there are a few new features worth mentioning as well:

* Jump to latest new blog comment
    * Comment with quote
    * Blog this Post for every forum thread (spot/make a post on the boards you want to expand on in the blog -> just click the Blog this Post [​IMG] icon)
    * Blog owners' comments on the list of comments now stand out

As always, feel free to ask if you have any questions.

3. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Blogs have been updated again today, but this was a bug-fix update with no new features added.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    So I just had a thought that in my mind would not only make it easier to get to the blogs page, but also remind people that SP *has* blogs.

Why not make a fancy link with white letters that glow red like the main BoM link at the top of every page?

To be honest, the reason I hardly ever blog is because I forget about the blogs page. :doh: I'm not saying that everyone has short term memory loss like me, but a big, bold link couldn't hurt. :thumb:

5. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, that's the forum logo graphic, so I can't really make the blogs link stand out like that - it'd look too much out of place. But the fact that it's very unnoticeable is definitely a problem. I don't know how many people even notice the "Blogs" link next to the User CP link on top left of every page. I've coloured it green in the past but it didn't seem to draw any more attention. I could colour the background and not just the link as well, but that'd really stand out. I'll see what I can come up with.

6. Kitrax

Media:
    True...I like the fact that the main BoM logo is on every single page...I use it quite often to bet back to the main BoM page. But perhaps a similar logo, maybe not as big, for the blogs page could appear on the main BoM page...and only on the main page...perhaps on the opposite side of the page as the BoM logo. I don't think that would look too out of place.

7. Taluntain

Media:
    The Blogs link should be more noticeable now... but I'll also add a small banner for the blogs on the front page of the forums as well, good idea.

Edit: added a blogs button to the top right of every page. How's that?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  8. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Ehh, Tal, don't you think that bigass red button is a bit... overkill?

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Not really, it's the same height as the logo on the left...

10. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It's part of its charm. And at least no one will be able to complain about it being not noticeable :p

11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

There's a huge big massive button up top!

Haha it was the first time I've ever visited the blogs, and it kinda makes me want to write my own, so... it's working!

12. Kitrax

Media:
    Sweet. I like it. It doesn't really blend in with the rest of the site's theme, but it's very noticable. :thumb:

13. Taluntain

Media:
    I'll have to redo all of the graphics at some point in the future anyway.

Good to hear that the button is doing its job! ;)

14. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    It certainly is more noticeable! I was checking the blogs anyway, but I see the button as a good thing. Now must remember to update my own blog!

15. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

A question: I'm planning using my blog for a little project that requires non-members to be able to read it. Is that possible? I took a look at the FAQ, but that didn't answer my question.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Sure, by default the blogs are viewable by anyone anyway. But you also have privacy controls to limit them to either members only, friends/contects or to keep them secret (viewable by mods/admins only). The system is quite flexible.

17. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Very nice. The FAQ speaks only of members, though. It might be good to change that.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Where in the FAQ did you see that exactly?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.