1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Boards Upgraded - New Features!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Earlier today I've upgraded our message boards to the latest available version. Consequently, there's a significant batch of new features to explore. Here's a short list of the most important user-side ones:

* Recently updated albums
    * Album to album picture moving
    * Social group discussions (basically, like threads in a forum; SGs are not limited to a single big discussion any more)
    * Social group categories
    * Social group icons
    * Social group transfers
    * Private message sorting and filtering
    * Private message history (when you receive a message from another user that is in reply to something you sent them, you can now view a history of replies)
    * Private message quick reply
    * Private message reporting
    * Quick edit for newer types of content (visitor messages and picture comments)
    * Profile privacy (limit blocks to a subset of users; I suggest you all go over this and make your choices)

Please note that the viewing of public albums by UNREGISTERED OR LOGGED OUT USERS is now ENABLED by default! However, by going to your profile privacy page, you can simply select "Registered Members" from the dropdown menu next to "Albums:" and only registered members will be able to see your albums.

The distinction between public and private albums as specified by you remains untouched - those albums that you have marked as private will not be viewable by the general public now. The above setting only applies to albums marked "public".

If you have any questions or comments about the new features, please post them here!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Profile privacy... that's pretty sweet.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Is it just me or are the YOUTUBE links just giving white boxes now?

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Works fine for me.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I like the "Recently updated albums" feature...cool stuff.

The only upgrades left I could think of would be to increase the maximum # of photos allowed and possibly the resolution/file size of pictures...even something like 1280x1024 would be better than the current 1024x768... Maybe make it an SPS perk...

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No issues with the ones I've checked... you normally see white boxes before the video loads though. This is something that wasn't touched in the upgrade so I don't think there should be any issues with it. Can you load the YT site normally?

That's easy enough to do if there's a need for it... are you maxed out on your pics already? I intentionally had it scale down pics larger than 1024x768 so that they can be viewed on a 1280 resolution without scrolling in all directions as I don't think that vB automatically resizes them to fit the screen...

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I went to YouTube just to see if something weird happened to my setup, and I was able to play videos there just fine. Image links were loading fine too, but the YOUTUBE links weren't. I'll check again when I get home to see if it's cleared up; maybe my internet connection was slow temporarily or something.

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Looks like it was just slow; the white boxes eventually filled in.

Now that the social group threads have posts in the reverse order they used to (and now in the same order as normal threads), can you put a page selection link next to the main thread link just like the regular threads have?

As it is now you need to click on the group thread link wait for it to load then select the last page to read the latest post right? Or did I miss some fancier way to get to the latest post?

9. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually, you did - just click on the [​IMG] button in the "Last Post" column. I don't know what the rationale behind not having the page navigation on top of the discussions and on the list of discussions too is though... probably to make a point that they're not the same as forums...

10. Kitrax

Media:
    I maxed out with my Win7 album... :bad:

As for resolution, I've seen albums that show a lower resolution (such as 1024x768), but you can click on them to get a bigger view...not sure if vB can support that kind of scripting...

11. Taluntain

Media:
    I'm sure there's a hack for it, but it's not done natively, I checked. I guess it's a question of whether there's a good reason to have pics larger than 1024 up... can you think of any instances where it'd make much difference?

As for maxing out on pics, I'll check what the current limits are.

Edit: I've raised the limit to 200 pics or 27MB, whichever you hit first. Let me know when you hit the limit again. :D

Oh, and is anyone else hitting any limitations with any other features here on the boards? I've raised most caps recently, but if you still hit any invisible walls, do let me know!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  12. Kitrax

Media:
    I like to count the nose hairs in random people's pictures...kind of hard to do with 1024x768. :shake:
    Well, now that the cap is raised, I think I'm good....but I do know some mimes that could *really* use your help. :grin: :shake:

13. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

o.0 I got a message at the top of my screen saying I needed to visit this thread... did I do something bad? Or is it just a system message letting me know I should see this?

14. Kitrax

Media:
    I just got it too...looks like Tal has a new way of saying, "Hey b****es, check this s*** out!" :p :shake:

15. Taluntain

Media:
    Yes, occasionally you'll be seeing those cute notices around here from this point on as they're quite handy. Unless there's a particular reason not to allow it, they will be dismissible by clicking on the red X in their top right corner.

16. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Oh, cool. Haha I was just surprised, I was like "ohcrapohcrap what did I say?" and then it took me here, haha.

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well!

I realize I might not be the most popular person here, but when the message says "Splunge, please f*ck off and never come back", I tend to get a bit offended. Especially when the "*" is actually a "u" (apparently the Board's censor isn't perfect).

:p

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Oops, I thought I disabled that one... :shake:

19. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    :lol: The notice is certainly impossible to miss... "Loreseeker, ..."

For a moment I got a flashback of my mom using my full name in RL - that's never good, btw.

20. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Good thing you mentioned how to dismiss them Tal... for some reason I failed to notice the big impossible to miss red X in the corner and was wondering why the thing kept telling me to come and read this thread and when it would go away by itself... :shake:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.