1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate: The Sword Coast Chronicles PW Interview at Sorcerer's Place

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Urithrand, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]An interview with a NWN2 persistent world, the Sword Coast Chronicles, has been posted right here at home at Sorcerer's Place, conducted by yours truly. Take a look:

2. SP: Designing a PW set in such a famously used region of the Sword Coast must have been challenging. How have you made sure you've stayed true to the original Baldur's Gate series while still providing players with new and fun RP ideas to play with?

Jlf2n: We have gathered and used a ton of Forgotten Realms source material. From maps to paper backs, to web based supplements. We have scoured it all in the attempt to be as accurate as possible. We have also borrowed ideas from the original Baldur's Gate PC game which is widely recognized as one of the greatest RPGs of all time. We took what we thought was the best from both the video game and Pen and Paper worlds and built the foundation on which the PW sits.

3. SP: Having seen some of the areas first hand, I can vouch for the exceptional attention to detail when compared to BG. How long did it take you to make these infamous areas?

Jlf2n: I started building these areas in November of 2007. Luckily for me there wasn’t much of a learning curve with the toolkit. I have used a few similar ones in the past with other games and most of the techniques I have picked up over the years were easily applied. Even though I had no idea how to build out the mechanics side of the online world, I figured if I built enough areas someone would feel sorry for me and help me out. :) Enter Driller, who is a well known PW builder of NWN fame. Driller was crucial in the early stages of development. Without his help the PW could have very easily ended up as a single player module.

Check it out from the comfort of your own homepage!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Azereki Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I am actually very interested in checking this out!

3. Broham1 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The very best....

I have played on Baldur's Gate: TSCC for about 6 months now...This is the BEST gaming experience I have had! The PW is beautifully built, attention to detail is immaculate! If you are a fan of the Forgotten Realms then this PW is a MUST! It is an ever growing and changing world full of danger and excitement! The DM's on the PW are constantly in play, popping up surprises at every turn. And with the player base growing almost daily, it is impossible to play without runnin into dozens of different characters. The RP is AWESOME! Most of the players are very, very good at immersing themselves into their characters! And I have seen those that hack and slash convert to a RP play style. But if RP is not for you there are great places to go test the mettle of your character!

I could go on and on about this place! (it has become a second home to me :)) But don't take my word for it.....COME CHECK IT OUT!!!!! You won't be disappointed!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  4. Luridel Gems: 1/31

As far as NWN2 PWs go, TSCC is pretty high quality. The DMs are dedicated and run frequent events, combat is more or less balanced, etcetera. I've been playing there for a few weeks now, and I'd definitely recommend checking it out - it's worth a try and you might like it.

5. Cort Gems: 1/31

I've been playing here since July, and it's probably the most rewarding experience I've had in gaming. I knew nothing about rp in games before I came here, and learned everything I know from the players on this server.
    My advice is that if you're a veteran rp'er or never done it in your life you should check this place out! I only give one warning, and that is you WILL get addicted very quickly:D

6. Broham2 Gems: 1/31

I too came to the server about 6 months ago, and have been hooked ever since. The people you will meet and interact with are great, the DMs are active, and the DEVs are constantly working to make the place even better. Just in the past 6 months alone we’ve seen so many new areas, new monsters, new items, quests, etc that I couldn’t even begin to list them. The place grows by leaps and bounds and still manages to maintain it all lag-free and with minimal technical issues (a huge improvement from when I first arrived).

The RP can’t be beat, and is good without being elitist and overly intimidating. You will meet everything from average farm hands to slippery assassins, from shining holy knights to questionable foppish dandies.. each played with their own quirks, their own personalities and ambitions. The guilds are many and varied, and continue to grow with the player base. The players behind these characters are all great people as well, and what you don’t know can easily be taught.

I have never played the BG games so I can’t compare this server to that game, but I have been a long time player in Forgotten Realms paper-based campaigns and this server absolutely delivers that realms feel that you’d expect. Come give it a try.

7. Sel Darkmore Gems: 1/31

*A Shadow figure in hood and cloak travels from the city of Baulder's Gate to the Sorcerer's Place for he stalks an elf who has twice before gave the man a *Bump of trouble* feeling.*

"BROHAM2! I find you ..prepare your weapons!" *While in an intense battle with the elf he turns to the staff of the Sorcerer's Place and glares while coldly saying..*

BGTSCC is my second life..The staff and team has put their love into the PW..and as a player feels that love and commitment playing in the world itself. The other 60+ players and DMs are the reason the staff can sit back looking at their computer screens an say "WOOT"!

BGTSCC is a must! The world in its self truly makes the player want to build not only his toon..attitude. I highly advise before joining BGTSCC, make sure you have nothing to do for the day, for you will be late for work, school, meeting, gathering etc. I am surprise I still have a RL job! The experience of the interactions and Dm events is ...something I can't even explain. Farewell until swords part may your travel be safe.!

*Continues his fight with broham2 by unleashing a series of attacks, stiking low and high with his rapier and dagger..but missing for the agile elf is aleart and sees the attack coming, however after quickly ducking broham2's counter swipe to the head... and seeing that the elven ranger is a more season fighter, he uses his ability of the dark arts of the Assassin to temporary blind and confuse the ranger to make his escape.*

*As the the area is suddenly shrouded in Darkness, the Elven warrior will..............((broham2 continues his part))

I learned all that from playing in BGTSCC.!!!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.