Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > General Gaming Forums > The Forum of Holding > Fallout Series

Notices

Fallout Series For posts concerning the Fallout series of games (Fallout 1-4, New Vegas, their expansions, spin-offs and DLC).

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Sat, 17th Oct '09, 10:23pm   #1
olimikrig
SPS Account Holder
Distinguished Member
Mod Reviewer
Cavalier of War

Like: 28
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,528
Level: 21
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
olimikrig will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to olimikrig
Default Fallout: Rebirth

Anyone seen this?

Fallout with Crysis graphics. Could be interesting if they actually finish it
Old Sat, 17th Oct '09, 10:58pm   #2
Morgoth
SPS Account Holder
La lune ne garde aucune rancune

Like: 10
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 8,465
Level: 27
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Morgoth has much to be proud ofMorgoth has much to be proud ofMorgoth has much to be proud ofMorgoth has much to be proud ofMorgoth has much to be proud ofMorgoth has much to be proud ofMorgoth has much to be proud ofMorgoth has much to be proud ofMorgoth has much to be proud ofMorgoth has much to be proud of

*If* they actually finish it yes. Since the original game was 2D, the amount of details they must add will be immense. I don't understand why they don't use the Fallout 3 game to begin with, they only need to add the story and characters then.
Old Sun, 18th Oct '09, 12:04pm   #3
Caradhras
I may be bad... but I feel gooood!

Like: 9
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 10,435
Level: 30
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Junior BloggerBlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM Experienced
Caradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud of

Truth be told I don't see the point of such a mod. Is it for those who can't play Fallout 1 because of its outdated graphics? It's their loss. Those who've been playing Fallout 1 for years don't need a conversion.

Quote:
• SPECIAL Charcter Creation System
• Inventory System
• Quest System complete with reputation and character statistics effects
• Looting System with randomised item drop tables
• Character Skills and Perks System
• Full Turn-Based Combat System
• Fallout style 3rd Person Camera
I don't know if it is realistic just to be thinking of adding all these elements to Crysis. When I look at all these things they want to implement it seems to me that they should have modded Fallout 1 to make it look better rather than modifying a game like Crysis to make it look (and work) like Fallout.

Modding Fallout 1 stories and quest into Fallout 3 would already be a lot of work so that it would require an entire team of modders dedicated to make it happen.
Old Mon, 19th Oct '09, 9:35am   #4
olimikrig
SPS Account Holder
Distinguished Member
Mod Reviewer
Cavalier of War

Like: 28
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,528
Level: 21
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
olimikrig will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to olimikrig

I think it's mostly just a matter of showing off. If they could actually manage to pull it off it would be pretty impressive after all, considering the amount of work it would require. And I must admit that if I could play FO1 with the Crysis graphics I'd take that any day (not that I really mind the outdated graphics too much, mind you. It's not that bad with the widescreen mod, really).

Quote:
Truth be told I don't see the point of such a mod. Is it for those who can't play Fallout 1 because of its outdated graphics? It's their loss. Those who've been playing Fallout 1 for years don't need a conversion.
That's really the point though. I think that the group this mod is aimed at isn't really those who has been playing Fallout for years, but rather those who haven't. You have got to put things in perspective here. You were actually playing this game back when it came out; the group I believe this mod is aimed at was probably not old enough to be playing much of anything back then .

I can understand if people have difficulties adjusting to the outdated graphics if they weren't playing the game, or similar games, back when it was released.
Old Mon, 19th Oct '09, 2:26pm   #5
Caradhras

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Caradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud ofCaradhras has much to be proud of

I'm pretty sure they were already playing peekaboo.

Anyway, I feel like an old fart reading your post because I was playing that game in 97.

I must be nuts but 12 years later I still enjoy the way it looks and the fun of the animations. Watching the little guys move always make me smile. Especially the supermutants rubbing their behinds and smelling their hands (gross!) or the one of the supermutant looking into the barrel of the RPG (not the game, the other one).

It must be quite hard to get into old games that don't glitter that much for kids who are used to the amount of eye candy we have nowadays. Still, it's a bit like judging a book by its cover. I'm sure the cover can really sell the book but it won't turn it into a masterpiece.

I don't get why some people get so anal as far as Fallout is concerned. The Bethesda version couldn't be any different (and it could have been much worse) because "Full Turn-Based Combat System" and "Fallout style 3rd Person Camera" are dead. The combat system was living its last hours with Fallout Tactics (which IMO was bad). What the success of Fallout 3 insures is that we'll get to play other sequels. Sequels with all the bling and the eyecandy but sequels nonetheless.

It's a little bit like Star Wars, you may not like the new trilogy that much but you have to admit that Revenge of the Sith is quite good, it may not be The Empire Strikes Back but it is a real Star Wars movie.

Back on topic, you must be right when you say they're showing off. If they weren't, they would either be modding Fallout 1 to make it look better or Fallout 3 so it could be played like Fallout 1.
Old Sat, 24th Oct '09, 12:54pm   #6
Merlanni
SPS Account Holder

Like: 31
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,348
Level: 22
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Posting GodNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
Merlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the rough

I got those old fallouts a few days back, and it graphics are horrible. Call me spoiled if you must.
Merlanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 24th Oct '09, 2:44pm   #7
Caradhras

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlanni View Post
I got those old fallouts a few days back, and it graphics are horrible. Call me spoiled if you must.
Believe me if you can get beyond the graphics you'll find out what is so special about these games and kept me playing them for the last 12 years.

Check this link for the children mod (I guess you have the European version) so you can get all the quests and the Resolution mod (which will make the graphics much better on larger screens).

The original Fallouts have so more depth than Fallout 3 so it would be a shame to miss them. I think that Fallout 2 was spoiled by too many cultural references (just too much Monty Python's jokes and even a reference to one of Elton John's songs and movies -lines from The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Star Wars but also the Blues Brothers) but Fallout 1 is a perfect game. Besides the original Fallouts had great music (the music in Fallout 3 is just Oblivionesque and if it works in Oblivion it is an absolute mood killer in Fallout, at least for me). So you should definitely try and play through Fallout 1, it's definitely worth it.
Old Sat, 1st May '10, 3:22pm   #8
Jesper898
A good surfacer is a dead surfacer

Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 3,136
Level: 18
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Jesper898 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Jesper898

I must admit, I don't really see the point. Why not just recreate Fallout in the Fallout 3 engine?
Jesper898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, 4th May '10, 12:17am   #9
Erod
Gems: 14/31
Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Eastend Arrows Champion! Flying Plane Champion! X-Training Champion! Mordor Mountain Madness Champion! City Jumper: New York Champion! Big Uglies Champion!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,888
Level: 14
vBActivity - Bars
Erod has disabled reputation

Actually they have scrapped the CE2 engine and moved on to Unity3D a few months ago. But this will probably never become anything more than a technology demo. But who knows, maybe they will pull a surprise after a few years.
Erod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 18th Aug '10, 12:11pm   #10
Mirenheart
Swords for everyone! Except you.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 155
Level: 4
vBActivity - Bars
Mirenheart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper898 View Post
I must admit, I don't really see the point. Why not just recreate Fallout in the Fallout 3 engine?
Well, just to say, some one else is already using the Fallout 3 engine to remake the game. In fact, there are at least 2 fallout remakes going on right now, one of which is on a temporary hold. http://www.fallout3mod.com/
Mirenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, 20th Aug '10, 4:00pm   #11
omnigodly
Gems: 17/31
Latest gem: Star Diopside

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 2,817
Level: 17
vBActivity - Bars
omnigodly is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to omnigodly

The old games are pretty fun, but nowhere near as in-depth as everyone told me they were :-/
omnigodly is offline   Reply With Quote