1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Empirical studies into Beer.

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Ragusa, May 16, 2010.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Since I have grown fond of trying out new sorts of beer, and since beer is a remarkably interesting topic, and there is a great variety of beer, I thought it might be interesting for more people than just me. So I decided to devise 'metrics' to structure my completely subjective assessment of the beers that I drink:

#1 name
    #2 brewery
    #3 type of beer
    #4 colour
    #5 foam
    #6 scent
    #7 taste
    #8 voltage
    #9 notes in the margin

Rating: excellent, good, average, poor, rotten

Starting today, I'll cover some of the beers that I try, and I invite other posters to join in. Spelling mistakes due to drunkenness are welcome. I'll start with this one:
    :yum: :beer: :yum:

Last edited: May 16, 2010
    Caradhras likes this.
  2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Two things...

What do you mean by 'voltage'?

Also, will you add a bitterness (hops) meter? I hate bitter beer, and hops in general.

3. Ragusa

Media:
    Hehe, 'voltage', is obviously, volume-percent alcohol - and bitterness ought to be assessed in the ... taste section. For comparison, that beer I tried, Bush, has a strength like wine. Besides, Bush is getting to my head (where are the puns already?), and it has only been a third of a litre.

4. Kitrax

Media:
    Ah, okay...so voltage = awesomeness. :grin:

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Great thread, by the way I have to say that "voltage" isn't everything (you just have to drink more that's all).

Next time you're in Belgium you've got to try the Chouffe Ragusa! :)

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Here we go again:

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  7. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Wait - there's bad beer? Nay I say, 'tis a legend!

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've even had generic beer....

The best beer is a free beer.

Blades of Vanatar and Caradhras like this.
  9. Kitrax

Media:
    Ever heard of Budweiser, Coors, Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR), Keystone, Natural Light (Naty Light), Miller Genuine Draft (MGD), Michelob, and pretty much every Sam Adams beer? They're all gross, nasty, putrid, colored water. [​IMG]

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    That reminded me of the old joke about some beer being like making love in a canoe.

Still beats drinking water IMHO. :p

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hey dude, stop thrashing PBR. It is the beer every teenager can fall back on because it is so cheap. a.k.a. the back-up case! I had several very nice nights growing up with my good friend PBR. Bud on the otherhand does very bad things to me. Yuck! Super hangover beer.

I myself like a nice, frosty Amstel Light when it comes to buying beer at the bar/rest. But when I buy it for home use, I like some nice Fat Tire, Summer Ale. Yummy!:beer:

12. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    IMO the key to drinking PBR is to only drink it from a bottle. Canned PBR is just awful, but if you have to drink it, make sure it's iced down to 33 degrees fahrenheit and drink the entire can in at most three gulps, over a span of no more than 1 minute. ;)

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Gaear, drinking it from the bottle defeats the purpose of getting cheap beer, it MUST BE CANS!:D

14. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Truth! :rolling:

15. Ragusa

Media:
    Nah, from the tab and in glasses or plastic mugs, as you get it in really rotten bars. I remember that one night, when I was drunk already, and went to that bar and just couldn't drink any more facing their beer. Frightening actually. And the result is reproducible - whenever I ended up in that bar, the beer was just that bad. Admittedly, I never went there sober.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  16. Kitrax

Media:
    You would last about 2 seconds at any of the parties I throw/attend. If it's a BYOB type of party, it is considered *VERY* impolite to bring a case of PBR, Natty Light, or Keystone....and if you're not kicked out on first sight, you're definitely *not* going to be taking any girl home...and you'll be subjected to endless, "Who's the cheap b*****d who brought PBR?!?!?" comments. And yes, people have been kicked out of parties in the past...we're at a point now, where we know all the cheapskates who do that kind of crap, and we don't invite them anymore. :D

17. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I love the Chouffe too! We have it here. The first one I drank was the red one but i'm not too keen on reds. But ever since I tasted the blond brand, I've loved it! :)

Caradhras likes this.
  18. Blades of Vanatar

That's pretty funny Kit. I was referring to when we were kids, as in High school days, not now. I would love to see somebody get ejected for bringing the cheap crap, frigging hilarious!:clap: But in the old days, PBR and Natty served its purpose.

Nowadays, I like the Goose, though I like it with crushed Ice and a splash of Fresca. Though, I will settle for some Stoli's if I have too, twist my bad arm!;) A good Scotch is always nice as well.

19. Ragusa

Media:
    Get serious people! There is work to be done! Thanks to me having gone out tonight I can introduce you to:
    Shared that bottle of 0,75l with a friend, and it was very delightful, and it did indeed, as to be expected from a double bock bier, to our heads. Cheers! :)

20. Kitrax

Media:
    Yuck. I can't stand Stoli...it's too "gritty". I tried it straight, and it's the only vodka I've ever spit out because it was too gross. I made the mistake of using it for Jell-O shots (it was on sale...and I was broke at the time). I had to apologize to everyone after we all did shots because they were so gross. :doh:

I've found that Finlandia makes for some excellent Jell-O shots.

My (semi) secret Jell-O recipe of awesomeness:
    1 (3oz) box - Cranberry Jell-O
    1 (3oz) box - Pineapple Jell-O
    1 (375ml) bottle - Best vodka you can afford...chilled (again, I use Finlandia)(put the bottle in the freezer over night to get it nice and cold. You need it as cold as possible for later)
    2 (US Cups) - Boiling hot Water
    .5 (US Cups (118ml)) chilled Raspberry/Cranberry (also called Cran-Raspberry) juice cocktail stuff...it's down the juice isle of the grocery store.
    1 cooking pot capable of holding 5-6+ cups
    1 package of 1oz or 1.5oz flexible plastic cups (get them at a party store)
    1 pitcher & spoon (for filling the shot glasses & to keep everything thoroughly mixed)

Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a pot, then pour in the two boxes of Jell-O and turn off the heat. Vigorously stir (without splashing) until all the powder is *fully* dissolved. Put the pot on something that's not hot so it mix can start to cool.

Pour the butt-cold* vodka into a measuring cup. 375ml = about 1.5 cups...but you need 2 cups of something cold...this is what makes my Jell-O shots awesome. Most people use water to fill the 2 cup measurement the rest of the way. Blah. Get your Cran-Raspberry juice and fill the measuring cup by .5 cups (118ml). You should now have 2 full cups of a vodka & juice mix. IT's still butt-cold right? Good...keep it that way.

Once the Jell-O mix is quite hot to the touch (but not unbearably hot), pour the vodka & juice mix in all at once. (You want the temperature to rapidly drop.)

Now stir like crazy (again, without splashing, because at this point the Jell-O + Juice + alcohol mix stains like a sonofab**ch).

How you choose to fill the shot glasses is up to you. I like to pour everything in to a pitcher with a spout. That way I can constantly stir the mix and easily pour.

Put all the filled shot glasses on a baking tray (or something hard and flat) and place in the refrigerator until the Jell-O has set. (A few hours or so.)

Enjoy!

Be aware that some plastic shot glasses are a pain when trying to suck out the sweet goodness inside. For this reason, I provide my guests with plastic toothpicks in the shape of spears or swords...depending on what the party store has. :grin:

( * note - "butt-cold" is a 'Kitrax approved unit of measurement'. In this case it's any temperature below the freezing point of water but above the freezing point of vodka. :D )

Anyway...that was :yot:
    Back to beer.......

This thread made me actually want a beer...so I went out and bought a 6 pack of Corona Extra and a thingy of pure lime juice. :yum:
    [​IMG]
    #1 name: Corona Extra
    #2 brewery: Several breweries across Mexico
    #3 type: Mexican pale lager
    #4 color: golden
    #5 foam: light...but it never goes away, and clings to the bottle
    #6 scent: Ummm...beer-ish? I can't really describe it. Maybe others here can. I think most beer smells nasty because of the yeast/hops used...but what do I know?
    #7 taste: Slightly bitter hoppiness, light malt taste. Lime*
    #8 voltage: in Utah: 3.2% everywhere else: 4.6%
    #9 notes in the margin: You must add a squirt of real lime juice to a Corona. Without the lime juice, it's not all too good. With the lime juice, it's very drinkable.

Rating: Better than any American lager I've ever tried...but that doesn't say much on the world stage. :p Apparently, it's the 5th most purchased been in the world...so a lot of people *must* like it. :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.