1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

[Tutorial] How to make a customizable face with the toolset and use it in game

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Caradhras, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    First you'll need the DAO Toolset which you can dowload here.

The purpose of this short tutorial is to explain as simply as possible how to make a face with the toolset and use that face with a savegame so it overrides the original face. Due to potential memory allocation errors it works better if you modify your save early on as its size may cause the toolset to crash.

With this out of the way I'll assume we'll be making a new character.

We have to make a face using the toolset (the face that we will be using later in game):

First, let's create a new morph

[​IMG]

We have to choose a base next (it should match the gender and race of the character we want to replace in game) let's start with HM (human male)

[​IMG]

So far so good, now a face should appear. Let's play around with the Object Inspector, there are many tabs that we can use to make the face look the way we want.

01 Material

you can blend different textures (base skin textures) change skin colour and add makeup (even for guys)

02 Part selection

eyes colours and textures, hair, beard, tattoos

03 Feature selection

etc...

Here is a tip, if you press ctrl+right click (maintained) you will turn the face around, mouse wheel can be used to zoom in and out.

Here is what I've done:

[​IMG]

Once you're done save as "hm_[name]" in the override folder (should be documents/bioware/dragon age/packages/core/override)

[​IMG]

The first two letter should match the base you've chosen:

[​IMG]

Then right click in the middle of the screen select "post to local"

[​IMG]

Close the toolset, we're almost done.

Now we have to start a new game make sure the gender and race match, save the game in a new slot with a name that we won't forget (I used "test").

Make sure you put the points where you want them, choose the soundset that you want and customize the portrait (sliders and background colour, the new face will use the same expression and the same settings for the ingame portrait).

Here is the Human Male that I've made and saved right after talking to Duncan. His name is Pup and I've just used the All in the Family - HM Cousland Preset but any Human Male preset will do as we won't be using this face for the character anyway.

That's how the character looks in game.

[​IMG]

I saved the game and used "test" which is a rather convenient name for a save.

Ok, so now we have a new game and we've made a face in the toolset, what we need is to edit the save so it will use our custom face instead.

In order to do that we'll have to open the toolset.

Select open file (CTRL+O) browse dragon age/characters/[character name]/saves/slot_1 and open the .das file

In my example it's test.das in dragon age/characters/Pup/saves/slot_1

Here is what the .das file look like in the toolset:

[​IMG]

We need to expand some lines:

[​IMG]

To reach SAVEGAME_APPEARANCE_MORPH_NAME

[​IMG]

We're almost done!

Let's type the name of our mrh file at the end of the line:

[​IMG]

One last thing to do: save the changes we've made to the .das file

[​IMG]

Now let's open the game and see how the character looks like:

[​IMG]

The original was prettier... But we're done here.

What now? Well we can play the game with that face and if we want to modify it simply open the toolset and edit the mrh file, saving and right click post to local will apply the changes.

You can change everything to make the face look like you want without having to modify your save game files.

Last but not least you don't have to worry too much with editing the chargenmorphcfg.xml file to get modded scars, hair and tattoos in game.

If you wish to take things further and make Qunari sized characters, Mages that look like Dwarves or play as a kid you can have a look at this thread: How to make a Qunari sized character and customizable characters

Scythesong Immortal likes this.
  2. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    Ok, it's official... I'll love you forever for posting this :D Thanks a ton!!

One question - if we've downloaded tattoo packs, scar packs, etc., for the toolset, where do we look for them so we can upload them into our mrh file when we're creating a new face?

3. Caradhras

Media:
    You're welcome! :)

I wasn't too specific because I didn't want to post too many details as once you play around with the object inspector and try a few things out it's easy to figure out what the changes do.

Regarding scars and tattoo here is what you can do:

1) scars can be found in the Object Inspector:

->in the first tab 01. Material, scroll down to section 02. Skin Texture, in this category you have:

-01. Base Skin Texture which will be the first skin texture you just have to click on the box on the right and select one among the many textures that are available (more of them with mods like Dr.DJ's Bandit Emporium - Toolset Files) once you've selected the new texture it will show up on your character's face.

-Now you can use the 02. Blend Skin Texture to add another texture (if you want a different set of scars to blend or simply enough another texture to apply (like Bidelles Makeup Studio if you don't want another scar), you can use the sliders under skin texture and skin type to mix both textures for your character.

I did it in my example to get two different sets of scars on that character. Vanilla files already allow for some variety as you can make a very sick looking character (by choosing uh_hed_sica_0d or uh_hed_infa_0d for instance).

2) Tattoos can be found in the second tab of the Object Inspector, 02. Part selection. Scroll down to 3. Tattoo.

->First you have to choose a Tattoo in 01. Tattoo mask.

For a tattoo to show on your character you'll have to choose colours in 02 Tattoo Channel 1 Colour and select the colour intensity with the slider 03. Tattoo 1-R Channel.

Only parts of the tattoo will show up but you can add other colours by selecting Tattoo 2, 3 and 4. You don't need them all for every tattoos, just select colours for the parts you want to show on your character's face.

In that respect the toolset is not as limited as the in game Character Creator as you can decide to have only parts of tattoos, use different colours for different parts or give different parts a different intensity. The great thing is that the toolset is the only way to actually add modded tattoos that can't be used with the ingame character creator (for instance Simple Tattoos).

You can also "RP" the tattoo part by starting out without a tattoo and edit your mrh file later on, giving your character a scary tattoo after giving this character the Reaver speciaization or giving a Dalish tattoo to your character after completing the Brecillian forest part of the game. As I pointed out earlier you don't have to edit your save (the .das file), just open the mrh file in the toolset, apply the tattoo, save and export to local. The changes will show up in game. By editing the mrh file you can also remove tattoos or change them if you want to (the same thing can be done with hair, facial structure, scars, hair colour, hair type, make up, beards, etc).

Last but not least, don't forget to save when you like the face you've made (even if you're not done). Sometimes the toolset crashes (it happened to me only twice but it's annoying to have to start from scratch).

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Good stuff Car. Thanks for pulling this together.

5. Caradhras

Media:
    You're welcome Marceror, I'm glad this is of some use.

6. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Quite. This deserves further looking in to, I've never used the toolset before. :book:

Unfortunately I'm still in the process of doing some tests and playing 3 different games at the same time atm, so...darn chronic restart syndrome. :bang: Will need to stay focused for a while yet.

7. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    Cara - much appreciated on explaining how to add tats & scars - could never figure that out which was a major embarrassment for me because I'm usually quite good at figuring out how to do things just by messing around with programs and it was an 'epic fail' on my part when trying to figure out how to work the toolset.

Cara and I are the president and vice president of the chronic restart syndrome club in regards to DA :shake: You're definitely not alone Scythe!!

8. Caradhras

Media:
    Well, I'm glad this helps. The DAO toolset is not that user friendly but what I've posted shouldn't pose any problem.

When I first started fiddling around with the toolset it actually took me quite some time just to figure how to turn the face around with the mouse...

You can say that again! Although I'm pretty sure it's a really big club and I don't know about being president or vice president (honorary member is good enough as far as I'm concerned). :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.