1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Suggestions for spell picks for Buffy chars for RP purposes rather than powergaming

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Apr 15, 2011.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Two years ago I started a Buffy the Vampire Slayer themed party using some soundsets tailor made for this purpose I found on the internet.
    I haven't spent as much time playing BG because I got my hands on the Neverwinter Nights and the Knights of the Old Republic games.

Now I'm ready to start Throne of Bhaal, and I thought I'd try something different.
    Instead of picking the same old spells, I thought I'd try using the spells that the characters would be using.
    My party is described in this thread:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49197&highlight=buffy
    Basically, I have Oz as a Shapechanger (druid), Guiles as a Skauld, and Willow as a Magic User.

Obviously I'm giving Giles the demon summoning spell, and the wizard eye spell. What other spells should I give him?
    What about Willow?
    I gave Giles an INT of 17, so no more than 14 spells/level for him, while Willow gets 18 spell picks/level.

What spells should Oz memorize?

Keep in mind that I do need to memorize some key spells, such as Breach and the spells to remove protections from mages, as I don't want to make the game too challenging. Also keep in mind that I've been saving and recharging all the wands I came across, so I don't need fireball (wand of fire), cloudkill (wand of cloudkill), or horror (wand of fear).

So, what should I give them in ToB?

I might just decide to start over and play through SoA with those spell picks as well, but that's more difficult as finding the spells is half the fun.

Do I need to mention that I'm taking Imoen into my party and treating her the same way Buffy treated Dawn after learning the truth about Dawn's origins. I'm not as concerned about spell picks for Imoen, since I can always have Imoen fill in the gaps.

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Oz should not have attack spells. He is not the type to call lightnings on enemies or swarms of insects or other stuff. He can use spells to buff himself and others, and maybe to summon. If you have spell revisions mods, druid spells are nice, barkskin grants AC bonus and is actually a very useful buff to have, etc.

Giles should have mostly anti-mage spells, his remove magic will be very potent since he can level up fast. Throw in some buffs to better ready the group and some illusions and enchantments to fool enemies and he's good to go.

Willow should focus on more damaging and protection spells, however I still think she should have cleric levels as well, since she prays to a Goddess to power her spells too, she could heal wounds, and she has even went so far to 'ressurect' Buffy after she has been dead in her grave for some time. (she was clearly decomposed)

Tara could very well fit as a naive and timid LG cleric with 'nice' spells to protect and heal. Obviously having her with Oz might not make much sense.

Also, who's gonna be the protagonist? Buffy does not have to be the protagonist as she was canonically 'dead' for a couple of times, and this would mean game over if she is the protagonist. Also Bhaal stuff does not suit any Scooby Gang. You can create your own player character as the protagonist and the Scooby Gang can be your allies and friends in a strange world/dimension they have been sent somehow. Think of your game as a long season of Buffy, heh, just a thought.

Hope this helps. :) Share your experiences with us.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Anya could be a Bhaalspawn :p

Or possibly Fred from Angel after she goes blue (Illyria).

Oz should memorise self buffs primarily and the odd party oriented spell, he's more combat than caster.

Giles the Skald (How American, I'm removing 'U's :p) should probably have summons and offensive spells.

Willow whatever she damn well likes to be honest :lol:

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I wanted Xander to be the protagonist, just because it would be funny to have him be happier to be the son of the God of Murder rather than the son of Tony Harris.
    Maybe I've read too much fanfic on TTH, because I don't recall him saying this in canon, but I've seen a lot of times in fanon when Xander says he hopes he's a bastard.
    I'm thinking of starting over in SoA anyays just to remake Willow into a Cleric/Mage, as having recently seen several episodes where she does prey, I am convinced it is a better fit. I'll have to make her half-elf rather than human for game mechanics, but you can't have everything. I was thinking of making Buffy a dwarf, gnome, or halfling for the height.

As for Giles being a Skald, it's the one that seems to fit the best. He's obviously a type of bard, but focused on demon and magical lore. More combat than spellcasting after the trouble he got into in his youth. I know a case could be made for him also being a Mage->Fighter, but his ability to call out demon weaknesses to help the scoobies fight works much like the skald's song, and he is very good at identifying strange magical items. Hence the skald choice.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Heh, nice and hillarious idea for Xander to be the Bhaalspawn. Though since he's going to end up as the weakest member (as he should) protecting him might make your game a little more challenging, which is never a bad thing IMHO.

You can make Willow a human and change her appearance to human female mage via SK, this will suit her better. Then make Buffy a dwarf with half-elf appearance via SK, she will be shorter than the rest (but not as fugly as dwarven avatars) and will have neat saving throw bonuses which compliments her well.

I would love to see some screenshots from your game. :thumb:

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Willow is kind of like a wiccan, no? Thats a nature based religion, I belive. And since druids in the forgotten realms has to have a nature based patron diety, Druid might be the class that makes the most sense for her.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Druids don't have to follow *any* deity. Clerics can follow nature deities and any commoner can worship a nature deity as well ;)

Also the show uses wiccan to mean any witch.

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Druids has to follow a nature diety in the forgotten realms setting (says so specifficly in the book). Its not mentioned in the players handbook, however.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.