Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > D&D Games Forums > Icewind Dale

Notices

Icewind Dale For posts concerning Black Isle Studios' Icewind Dale and the Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster expansions. (Check out our IWD Online Walkthrough).

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Fri, 22nd Jul '11, 8:42am   #1
DCD
Gems: 2/31
Latest gem: Fire Agate

Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 483
Level: 7
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
DCD is on a distinguished road
Default Icewind Dale video rendering in Win 7 XP Mode

Hey everyone, it's been years.

I just bought IWD for the first time, and tried to run it in Windows 7, 64 bit (sadly, didn't seem to work very well with multiplayer). There was a ton of problems, Infinity Engine didn't like Windows 7 much.

So I switched to Windows XP Mode, which seemed to work except I can't get the videos to render, and the game crashes.

When trying to play movies, I get crash boxes likes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win95 Interplay MVE File PLayer
DirectDraw Init FAILED
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Assertion failed in ChVideo.cpp at line number 5683
Programmer says: No valid video modes supported
I dunno what to do, or what to download. I got the latest Direct X and Service Pack (for Win XP Mode), and I don't think I have any hardware problems. This computer is overkill for even full effect BG2.

Give me some direction.
DCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, 24th Jul '11, 7:48am   #2
Paracelsi
Gems: 15/31
Latest gem: Waterstar

Like: 9
Liked 55 Times in 49 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,800
Level: 14
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Paper WeightI'm Not Alone!Posting ProfessionalPosting GuruHappy Anniversary!
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Paracelsi will become famous soon enoughParacelsi will become famous soon enough

The Infinity Engine games don't work well with newer OS and components. Have you tried disabling 3D acceleration/reducing hardware acceleration?

There are fan-made fixes for this here but results are not guaranteed.
Paracelsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, 24th Jul '11, 6:54pm   #3
gorgon82
Gems: 3/31
Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Like: 2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 346
Level: 6
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
gorgon82 is on a distinguished road

Make sure your video drivers and DirectX are up to date. Disable DEP. Run programs as Administrator without compatability modes. This worked for me for ALL the Infinity Engine games on Windows 7.
gorgon82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, 26th Jul '11, 2:24am   #4
DCD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

So just to clarify, are we talking about running IWD under XP Mode, or Windows 7?

I've managed to get IWD working under Virtual Box's emulation of Windows XP and Windows 2000, though I stopped using XP because it heated up my computer pretty quickly. However, my friends will be using XP Mode, so I want to know how to troubleshoot their running woes.

Incidentally, I noticed that my custom sounds (.wav) don't seem to work in IWD. They worked under BG, do I have to convert them to .acm using NI or Team BG tools or something?
Old Sun, 31st Jul '11, 3:13pm   #5
Taluntain Points for Posts
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

Like: 266
Liked 176 Times in 110 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 53,940
Level: 58
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Wanna ShareJunior BloggerBlogbieNew DeliveryThe Popular One
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Taluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant future

No, all the IE games use the same wav files for custom soundsets... so it's more likely that your wavs aren't proper wavs...

Join the Sorcerer's Place page!
Taluntain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, 3rd Aug '11, 1:30am   #6
DCD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluntain View Post
No, all the IE games use the same wav files for custom soundsets... so it's more likely that your wavs aren't proper wavs...
No, that can't be it. If they work in BG and BG2, they should work in IWD as well.

I seem to have fixed the problem by duplicating my files over and over and getting a complete set of files. Apparently, if you're missing anything less than the 32 files to compile the sound set, the game doesn't recognize it as functional. This is different from BG where if one didn't have sounds, it would just play silence where the sound was supposed to be.