1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo 3 - "No Mods, Online-Only, Cash Trades"

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Aug 1, 2011.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]The embargo has lifted on a recent Blizzard press event and details on Diablo III are flowing as a result. The quote in the heading is from Rock, Paper, Shotgun, who obviously don't like some of the revelations:

The morning brings a trio of horror-news about Diablo III. I'm outright bewildered about what Blizzard have done, and shuddering about the likely reaction in comments. I won't muck around here, and instead shall just wade straight into the things that are probably going to end up being PC gaming's biggest controversy of 2011.

1) The game requires a constant internet connection. It cannot be played offline.
    2) Mods are "expressly prohibited."
    3) Items in the auction house are bought and sold for real-life money.

Uh-oh.​
    Eurogamer has a full preview and the real-money-Auction-House is also a critical part of their coverage:

The big shock is an officially sanctioned real money auction house - an in-game eBay - where players will be able to sell loot to each other in their local currency. This development is so daring, complex and potentially controversial, we'll discuss it separately in a full article soon. There'll be a separate but functionally identical auction house where players can trade using game gold.​
    IncGamers has a summary and Diablo Fans also has a preview.

In the meantime, we'll be picking up jaws from the floor. It's quite obvious that Blizzard is going for an all-or-nothing approach - something that their market position certainly enables them to do, but will this not-so-small revolution end up exploding in their face?

But then again, given that Diablo 2 was basically a free MMORPG for everyone playing it for the last 10 years, the news that Blizzard wants to cash in on that is not surprising at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hmm interesting idea with the real-money auction house. To be honest they might as well. People are already selling their items to each other for real cash, so why not provide a safer enviornment for the to do it in (and profit from it while they're at it).

3. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I already vented my anger on another siter, so I'll keep it short:

It sucketh!

I could stomach the no mods thing. But always online is a big nono!And makking real-money deals for ingame items??!?!

Wold of no!

D3 is no more for me!

4. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    The real money auction house is an interesting idea. Play game, get item, sell for £5. Rinse & repeat.

5. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    This is going to facilitate some interesting farming. You just know the system will be abused and expand to its limits. I wonder what practical economic effects it will have.

Essentially, though, it allows you to sit at home all day, play D3, and legitimately claim to be working!

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well the Chinese are already doing it in wow, why not you? :p

7. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If its online only, I won`t touch it. Zero chance.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.