Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > D&D Games Forums > Baldur's Gate

Notices

Baldur's Gate For posts concerning the first part of the Baldur's Gate saga and the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion.
NOTE: If you have installed the BG1Tutu or BG Trilogy mods, or intend to play with them installed, you should be posting in our ToB forum!

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Sat, 11th Feb '12, 12:06am   #1
Paracelsi
Gems: 15/31
Latest gem: Waterstar

Like: 9
Liked 54 Times in 49 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,799
Level: 14
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Paper WeightI'm Not Alone!Posting ProfessionalPosting GuruHappy Anniversary!
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Paracelsi will become famous soon enoughParacelsi will become famous soon enough
Default Your Tactical/Quirky BG1 Parties

Over my last few runs I realized I'd been creating the same parties over and over so to break the loop I wanted to hear how everyone built their BG1 parties. I'm especially interested in tactical parties and just plain weirdly-themed ones. If you have an idea for a party you haven't tried feel free to post just as long as you (explicitly) state that you haven't tested it yet.

I'll start by sharing the three variations I usually go with:

Lotsa Archers
Example:
Fighter/Thief PC
Coran
Kivan
Khalid - Good tank early, and an excellent archer later on.
Jaheira - Healer and Tank.
Edwin - Magic Missiles.
-Ranged weapons are just that powerful in BG1.

Heavy Magic
Example:
Bard PC - Dump nuke spell scrolls here.
Garrick - Dump nuke spell scrolls here.
Xan - As far as arcane spells go, everything else.
Yeslick-
Faldorn - Level 5 divine spells.
Imoen (dualed early)
-Used Khalid/Jaheira until Faldorn.

Flavor of the moment
Example: (Me, the crazy guy and the little people)
Human Druid PC - Me
Xzar - the crazy guy
Alora- eeny
Montaron - meeny
Quayle - miny
Tiax - moe
-Besides teaching a valuable lesson on how a druid, a fighter-thief and a mage could could do so well early game, lots of interesting interaction once the party reaches Baldur's Gate.
Paracelsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 11th Feb '12, 12:24am   #2
Deathmage
Arrr!

Like: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 4,852
Level: 21
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements BlogbieNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Deathmage is a jewel in the roughDeathmage is a jewel in the roughDeathmage is a jewel in the rough

This is the most fun I've ever had with BG1. I heartily encourage giving it a go. http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49500
(In short, you can't reload, ever, and you have to kick out NPCs when they die.)
Deathmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 11th Feb '12, 12:43am   #3
damedog
Gems: 13/31
Latest gem: Ziose

Like: 12
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,450
Level: 12
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Posting ProfessionalLet's Talk...Happy Anniversary!Posting GuruWriters Cramp
damedog is just really nicedamedog is just really nicedamedog is just really nicedamedog is just really nice

An ironman game? Sounds fun, i'm tempted to try it out.
Old Sat, 11th Feb '12, 2:58am   #4
Paracelsi
Gems: 15/31
Latest gem: Waterstar

Like: 9
Liked 54 Times in 49 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 1,799
Level: 14
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Paper WeightI'm Not Alone!Posting ProfessionalPosting GuruHappy Anniversary!
Awards Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Paracelsi will become famous soon enoughParacelsi will become famous soon enough

It would be an interesting experience. Maybe after a complete test run...
Paracelsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 11th Feb '12, 3:54am   #5
T2Bruno Points for Reputation (Received)
SPS Account Holder
The only source of knowledge is experience

Like: 37
Liked 127 Times in 97 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 22,856
Level: 42
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
T2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond reputeT2Bruno has a reputation beyond repute

Xzar and Monteron are a riot to have in a party. I would like to get Larry, Darryl, and Darryl for a bit ... too bad they don't join you.

I've never been able to handle Alora's voice -- I want to kill her when every time she comments.
Old Sun, 12th Feb '12, 12:53am   #6
Son of Imoen
Gems: 4/31
Latest gem: Sunstone

Like: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 391
Level: 7
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
Son of Imoen is on a distinguished road

My most theme-related party got it's inspiration from the UN, and countries cooperating together. It's called the United Races party. Basic rule: create a party of 6 representing all possible BG1-races (actually, I run the Tutu engine, I don't now if a half-orc barbarian is possible in vanilla). I came up with:

Zulecha (half-orc Barbarian, as only the PC can choose the half-orc race),
Kagain (dwarf)
Branwen (human),
Alora (halfling),
Quayle (gnome),
Xan (elf)

Edit: tactically speaking, I always created balanced parties, so most will have at least 1-and-1/2 warrior, 1 divine caster, 1/2 thief and 1-and-1/2 mage as a minimum (1/2 classes meaning half of a multi- or dualclass of course).
Son of Imoen is offline   Reply With Quote