1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Project Eternity - The Game That Almost Wasn’t - An Interview with Adam Brennecke

Discussion in 'Pillars of Eternity' started by Marceror, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG][​IMG]I had the propitious opportunity to head down to Obsidian Studios in Irvine California today (10/19/2012) to speak with Adam Brennecke, the Project Director for the upcoming Project Eternity title. If you’ve been living under a rock for the past month and somehow aren’t familiar with Project Eternity, this is a new project that was funded by the fans to the tune of $4.1 million dollars, using Kickstarter and PayPal. Project Eternity is an isometric, party-based computer RPG set in a new fantasy world developed by Obsidian Entertainment. For more details, see my information guide here. --Marceror

[​IMG]
    Project Eternity's team of crazed environment artists have been working hard on developing our first environment for the game. Early on in the Kickstarter campaign, we told you that we wanted to make maps the Infinity Engine way. That is, we wanted to build 3D levels, render them out as 2D images, and then have our artists paint in beautiful details, highlights, and color-tweaks before they went into the game. Looking back at the levels some of us worked on for Icewind Dale, we were still thrilled with the quality that we could achieve with this approach. For Project Eternity, we're using 10 years of improvements in rendering technology and hardware to get the job done, but we still love what we can do the "old-fashioned" way. We hope you share our enthusiasm.

Click here to see this beautiful screenshot in high resolution. This sure ain't your dad's 2D isometric game!

Note: the interview with Adam was very casual and very conversational. For this reason many of the questions and responses have been edited to ensure a focused read.

Without further ado, I present my interview with Adam:

[​IMG]Here are five of the characters that you will meet on your journey in Project Eternity (assuming they survive this encounter). Edair is on the left. Aloth is next to him. Then Forton and Cadegund. Sagani is on the right. It has not yet been confirmed which of these will be willing to join your party.

Click here to see this amazing artwork in high resolution.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thanks, Marceror, that was a very interesting read.

3. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Wow, cool interview!

Kudos maestro!

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Excellent interview, Marceror... :thumb:

5. Vorak

Vorak Terra-Arcanum Staff

Great interview.

I can't help but wonder how many levels they had ready to go on that The Endless Paths of Od Nua picture as they keep adding them. Maybe they will release the whole image.

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, they started with 3, and I think Rob Nessler (the Art Director) had it ready up to 6, maybe 7. Those updates were quickly posted on the Kickstarter site when the requirements were met. After that Feargus mentioned in the Kickstarter comments section that he had Rob doing the artwork for up to 10 levels. The next 3 levels came so fast that an 11 level dungeon was never posted. It went straight to 12. 13 was seemingly ready as it didn't take too long to get that one posted. Feargus has mentioned a couple of times that Rob is working on the finalized 15 level artwork, but I get the impression that Rob needed a bit of a break from it.

Incidentally, I met Rob when I when I was at the Obsidian offices last week. He struck me as a man who takes his tea very seriously. :p

7. Marceror

Media:
    I got some feedback from Adam this morning that indicated he was really happy with how the interview came out. I'm going to see if I can turn these into a series with him, and do a few more before the game is released. So stay tuned on that. :)

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  9. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Nice interview :).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.