1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

INFO: Mods, Cheats, Editors

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition' started by Ineth, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mods

Installing mods for Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition (IWD:EE) works just like it did for the original Icewind Dale.
    However, since (like all of Beamdog's EE titles) the enhanced edition uses an improved version of the BG2 engine, which is incompatible with the original IWD engine, mods that were made for the original IWD game will not work with IWD:EE unless their authors update them.

On the bright side, many mods made for BG2 may work (or at least will be easy to update), which is great because BG2 has a much richer modding ecosystem than IWD ever had. Also, some popular IWD mods are not needed at all anymore with IWD:EE, because it already includes those enhancements out of the box. Here's what's known so far:

Mods that are no longer needed:
    • Widescreen -- the game automatically adapts to your desktop resolution thanks to its new, scalable UI and zoom feature.
    • IWD/BG2 Fixpack -- the game contains all the latest bug fixes, and will receive patches if new ones are found.
    • IWD Item Upgrade -- this has been integrated into the game.
    • IWD Unfinished Business -- an improved version of this (based on original design documents) has been integrated into the game.

Mods that are known to work:

See the IWD:EE compatible Mods list over at the baldursgate.com forums.

Cheats

Enabling cheats works a little different than in the original IWD game. You need to edit the Baldur.ini file, which is not inside the directory where the game itself is installed, but rather located at:

• "My Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\Baldur.ini" -- on Windows
    • "/home/$USER/.local/share/Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition/Baldur.ini" -- on Linux
    (You will need to run and quit the game at least once, for that file to be created.)

In this file, find the line that reads:
    Code:
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    And add the following new line below it:

Code:
      'Program Options',  'Debug Mode',   '1',
    Once that is done, the cheat console (opened with CTRL+SPACEBAR) should be available the next time you start the game.
    Note that the game uses the BG2 cheat codes, not the original IWD ones.

Editors

For editing savegames (e.g. to modify your character's attribute points or your Sorcerer's spell picks without starting a new game) you can use:

• EE Keeper

Screenshot: [​IMG] (click for larger version)
      Links: introductory forum post, download page
      Compatibility: Version 1.0.2.5 and newer work properly with IWD:EE.
      Instructions:
      To install EE Keeper, simpy download and run the installer. (On Linux, you can run it using Wine.) When you start the program for the first time, you need to complete a set-up window to help it find the correct savegame directory and game data files. To set it up for use with IWD:EE, follow these steps:
      1. In the Game Profile box, type "IWD:EE".
      2. Click Add.
      3. In the Installation Directory box, select the path to the IWD:EE installation. For example, this could be:
        • "C:bad:Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition\" -- on Windows
        • "Z:bad:home\USERNAME\games\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition\game\" -- on Linux
      4. In the Game Language box, select the language that you chose when you installed IWD:EE (e.g. "English").
      5. In the User Save Data Directory box, select the path to the directory which contains the savegame folder, i.e.:
        • "C:bad:users\USERNAME\My Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\" -- on Windows
        • "Z:bad:home\USERNAME\.local\share\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\" -- on Linux
      6. Click Apply, to save the profile.
      7. Click OK, to close the window and use this profile.

For browsing and editing game data files (scripts / items / creatures / etc.), you can use:

• NearInfinity

Screenshot: [​IMG] (click for larger version)
      Links: introductory forum post, download page
      Compatibility: Snapshot 20141101 and newer work well with IWD:EE (although as a pre-release, it's not guaranteed to be stable - so use at your own risk).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Note: I now replaced the "Mods that are known to work" list with a link to a list at the baldursgate.com forums, because those guys are much more dedicated to keeping it up-to-date than I was... :p

Looks like there are already more mods for IWD:EE, than there ever were for the original IWD!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  3. TheSprecher Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

How's it going Ineth, I just got the enhanced edition of BG 2 and I can't get the ee keeper or the cheat to work. I read your instructions and located the Baldur.ini file except my page looks like it's format is messed up. There isint a space below so I tried it twice and to no avail. Please help me

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You need to open the INI file with something other than Notepad (i.e. Notepad++), otherwise it won't display or save correctly.

What's the issue with EE Keeper? That one should be easy enough to set up and use.

5. TheSprecher Gems: 1/31

First of all how do I open the file with Microsoft word. I could only find it by typing it in the search section. As for the ee keeper i can't seem to set up the directory or settings correctly. It acts as if my game doesn't exist.

--

Ok I figured out how to open it with word and right below it I typed in exactly what I saw on your post but I can't bring up the debug in-game menu. Still no luck on the ee keeper

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2016
  6. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Word editors (regardless of which Office suite you're using) are an even worse option than Notepad. They're used for editing word documents, not normal text documents.

You need a text editor that won't append garbage to your file or mess with the spaces and newlines. Something like Notepad++ or vim, not Microsoft Word or Notepad.

For EE Keeper, when creating a new game profile, select the exact folder where your game is installed for the Installation Directory, then tick the Use Custom Save Location checkbox and select the folder in your user documents where the savegames are stored.

Example:
    - Installation Directory: C:bad:Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition\
    - User Save Data Directory: C:bad:Users\John\My Documents\Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition\save\

7. TheSprecher Gems: 1/31

Thanks I did what you said and got the ee keeper to work. I'm going to look into notepad++. I really appreciate your help thank you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.