1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate Series Enhanced Editions

Discussion in 'Featured Polls & Comments' started by Taluntain, Jan 8, 2015.

?

Have you played either of the Baldur's Gate series Enhanced Editions?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2015.
  1. Yes, both BG:EE and BG2:EE

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  2. Yes, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Yes, Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Not yet, but I intend to

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. No and I have no intention of playing either

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Played (and enjoyed) IWD:EE as well. No BG:EE yet.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That'll be a different poll. ;)

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Didn't play either, no real desire to do so. From what I have read, they are not significantly better than either BG Tutu (for BG:EE) or a reasonably modded version of TOB (for BG2:EE).

I just don't see the point.

Maybe IWD:EE - I reinstalled my old IWD just to give it a run and it's kinda slow, but there's actually something I like about that. It reminds me of when I got it and how the pacing went at that time. Things could kill you if you weren't careful. I think I still like it. Not sure how much I would like a redo unless it kept intact the feel and difficulty. For example, I think that the BG spell set and sorceror class would make IWD much easier (in that the lack of scrolls made a serious dent in your firepower in the original).

Old One and Hugin like this.
  5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In truth dmc, they really aren't all that different. That was my big complaint when they came out, too. I couldn't believe they had the stones to charge so much for very little new content. An opinion I still hold. I even installed BGT with all the trimmings the other day to see the difference.

Still - it LOOKS better, runs smooth, and there's no loading screens. Plus, I really like the new NPCs, especially Dorn (though I'll never use him, because I always play good).

Mainly I bought them both on a Steam sale at a steep discount. But I've quite enjoyed them both. Nobody's more surprised than me. :)

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    As a player, if you own the old games and are willing to put in some effort to make them optimally playable, there's no real reason to buy or play EEs.

As a modder though, the EE engine offers significant advancements that are worth switching over for.

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The BG EE versions appeared on GoG not too long ago, so if they offer them at a steep discount (say max $3), I'd consider getting them, although there really isn't that much reason for me to get them. Loading times with the games on a SSD are pretty minimal already and the added NPCs mean very little to me since I normally play either solo or with an MP party.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hasn't anyone made a mod that transfers EE content to the original games? Or would Beamdog shut down any such attempts? :shake:

9. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

They wouldn't see the point, and they would work towards making their product irrelevant.

As for the games: I bought them at a steep sales discount, as there was indeed little content added. I wouldn't even claim it looks significantly better. There were widescreen mods who look almost just as good. It's indeed the absence of loading screens that might make it worthwhile to play.

They didn't even bother to change AD&D rules, with their ridiculous negative THAC0 and AC (which is only practical for lower levels). Not that that's a big negative - it's probably better it remained the way it is as many will have complained - but it's more accessible to new people, which is why they made this game.

I will however be buying their 'new' game, as a big % of new content will pull many people in.

10. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I freely admit that part of my calculus was "downloading this once is way easier than installing all those discs again."

Yes, I am that lazy. #sorrynotsorry

Hugin likes this.
  11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Played both. I like the new stuff. The classes that we're added are excellent. Dragon Disciple Sorcerer rocked. So does the Blackguard. It's basically an Assassin with fighter capabilities. IWDEE is also excellent. There have been mods created just for the EE editions that are excellent.

12. Hugin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have played through BGEE and IWDEE, and they are both really good. I enjoy the new functions like Quick Loot and Zoom. Awesome. I am going to get BG2 also, really soon.... Like, today maybe ... :)

I was just lazy and didn't want to search for my old BG discs, and BG also runs pretty good on a tablet...

13. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Have only played BG:EE so far

14. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Not worth paying money for BG:EE when a fully modded Tutu is nearly as good. Besides, I've played through it more times than I care to admit. Not much would get me to return to it for a good long while.

IWD:EE, on the other hand, is excellent and needed a good makeover.

15. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

This. Tutu/BGTrilogy is just as good, potentially even better compared to the 'original' EE releases. Maybe now they're on par. The new content is meh, and only relevant if you've played the original to death.

If IWD:EE is good I might buy that full price. It's true there was almost zero modding for that one. IWD2 is a personal favorite of mine due to the updated D&D rules. My hopes were that BG got that treatment, but alas.

16. polyblip Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

lookin at steam today, apparently i logged over 600 hours in bg:ee lol

17. Swankyval Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I wish that they remade both BG1 and BG2 to be like Dragon Age. BG1 is the best game story I have ever played and I would love to see it like DA. I doubt that will ever happen though, especially since they already released the EE. Which isn't really any different in my opinion. Nice to see it still alive though!

18. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    BG in an engine like DA? Ouch.
    Awkward and repetitive posing during dialog, hit and miss voice acting, bad camera controls and they'd seriously would need to retailor the combat mechanics to work with the BG magic and general combat. And if they keep the level scaling from DA, you can kiss any sense of increase of power of your Bhaalspawn goodbye.

No thanks, I think I'll stick with original BG versions.

Darion likes this.
  19. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

All you had to do in DA:I was to cast the barrier spell and button mash til you won the fight. Zero thinking is required in that game.

20. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I liked DA:I, though combat could have been better, yeah.
    Basically, pick mage for your class, specialize into knight-enchanter, win the game. :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.