1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager

Discussion in 'Playground' started by kmonster, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I would like to play in fullscreen, but how do I tell? I'm not real familiar with DosBox.

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I thought I had DOSBox installed on the laptop, but apparently I don't. I'll send you a more in-depth reply when I get home. In the meantime, the easy way to switch to fullscreen is Ctrl+Enter. Is this what you tried when the game got buggy? In any case, can you describe what you mean by "game went buggy" in more detail? DOSBox usually needs some tweaking for different games.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There was some details on switching around the resolution in the "Edit Configuration" file in DosBox, reached via Start>Programs>DosBox>Edit Configuration. It was detailed stuff and probably a little beyond me. I tried to fiddle with it, but when I started the game after making some basic, recommended changes, the screen in game was changing colors and then crashing out. Otherwise, I can play it from the default settings, it's just in a really small window.

Anyway, you are saying once I open DosBox, Mount in Shattered Lands and start the program, I can then change the size of the windowed program from the keyboard, by pressing CTL+Enter? That is an easy fix if so. :) I will try it in when I get home as well. I'll post in a couple of hours when I do either way. Thanks Ziad.

4. Ziad

Media:
    Before thanking me, make sure it works :p

CTL+Enter doesn't change the window size, it switches from windowed to full-screen. It's not the same thing. It will also be problematic unless you change a couple of things: a) your graphic settings in Windows need to be set so that when an image at a resolution lower than your screen's is stretched to full-screen it maintains the aspect ratio (I'm assuming you're using a widescreen LCD here - you can forget about this if you're using a CRT) and b) there's an aspect ratio settings in DOSBox itself that needs to be set. We'll worry about these if the games does run properly when you switch to full-screen, otherwise we'll need to do some config changes. I don't remember there being an "Edit Configuration" option, unless this just opens dosbox.conf in Notepad.

The screen changing colours and crashing sounds like incorrect settings for output method... is that one of the things you changed?

5. Blades of Vanatar

I do have a 21.5 widescreen LCD. And yes, it did open in a notepad. No, I didn't change the output, but I changed 2 things to "True" from "False", as recommended in the configuration notes itself. I don't rememeber which lines exactly, but I will check it out as soon as I get home(pending my girls cooperating!) and post immediately.

The thanks is for the effort and suggestions, whether they work or not, it's appreciated.

6. Ziad

Media:
    :doh: Of course you do, I even commented about it a few hours ago! :doh:

And you're very welcome :) I have had a lot of headaches trying to get some games working in DOSBox and I'm always glad to save others from the trouble. Unfortunately I don't have DS2 but I think we can get it working regardless. I'll be home too by then so I'll be have my own dosbox.conf to compare.

It might be easier if you get into the chatroom (if the girls allow you of course :)), it'll make comparing notes much easier and faster.

7. Blades of Vanatar

Ok Ziad, going into the chatrooms now. Minstrel/

8. Blades of Vanatar

Shattered Lands down, Wake of the Ravager to go! Wish I could give my Thri-Kreen 4 El's Drinkers, she would be an unstoppable blender.

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I'm playing "Wake of the Ravager" now.
    I'm quite early in the game and only the multiclass character hasn't reached the level cap yet. There's plenty of XP to be gained in the game.

2 weapons with special spell like abilities disappeared from the inventory, the toothed club and the beast club.
    My conclusion is that they have limited charges. My questions:

Is there a way to see how many charges a weapon has ?
    Can weapons get recharged ?
    Which weapons have how many charges ? Are there some with unlimited charges ? Will El's drinker disappear too ?

10. Blades of Vanatar

None of those weapons have charges. The game is old and buggy. I would go back to a previous save.

11. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I went back to a previous save. The weapon disappeared again after a few hits. It has exactly 5 charges left and after the 5th hit you can even see the special animation on the target (it's the same which you see when a target gets paralyzed by a tri-kreen bite for example) when the weapon disappears.

12. Blades of Vanatar

I never had a weapon run out of "charges" in either game. The manual does not show anything about htis either. I ahve used El's drinker many times, always my main weapon and have never run out of charges. I have also used Lifetaker, Jasmine, Crystal Sword, etc... never had it happen. Has to be bug in your download or something to that effect. I still play/install off the original CDs I have. Did you download the game from a site?

13. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I'm playing version 1.1, I guess it's the disk version I downloaded somewhere. Do you have version 1.0 ?

It's possible that that you play differently and didn't use the weapons that often or at all (for me battles are usually 100 percent melee), the +2 toothed club lasted for many attacks, the +2 beast club disappeared earlier. I don't want to use +2 life stealer since I fear the disintegrate spell might destroy useful items. I've just gotten El's drinker, while I still have to find Lifetaker, Jasmine, Crystal Sword.

14. Blades of Vanatar

I am at work, so not usre of the version. But trust me, the game is buggy, the items don't have charges. You can get Els Drinker in Shattered Lands as well and import your character into Wake of the Ravager with it from the start. Two Els drinker on a Half Giant Gladiator is devasting! I am also a melee guy in those games, though I used Psionics A LOT as well. The items don't dissappear after so many uses. It is the crappy design of an old game is all. I remember having some buggy problems when playing it years ago. Losing items, corrupted save files, etc... Just something you have to live with when playing old games.

15. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I've tested it many times now. The animation seems to be a coincidence.
    In the savegame I always have 5 hits (charges are only subtracted when you hit) left with the +2 toothed club.

If you have only 1 charge left and more than 1 attack per round with this weapon it will execute all attacks you have with it this round and disappear afterwards.

16. Blades of Vanatar

I can only reiterate, I never experienced it while playing. I have used Els Drinker with imported characters from Shattered Lands from start to finish w/out incident, except when the game went buggy. I have finished the game with a dual wielding Els Drinker Half-Giant Gladiator for the Final Battle, he was a monster. Personally, I would reinstall and start over.

17. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I'll continue playing, there are so many bugs in the game that I'll never finish if I restart when I encounter one.
    Those two weapons aren't too important. I've already found enough weapons to have everyone dualwield at least +2 ones, my party looks powerful enough to beat whatever is in their way and the harder enemies will probably be immune to the special effects anyway.

I don't think the limited weapon charges are a bug which can be solved by restarting, rather bad intended game design.
    Maybe the limited charges only apply to the toothed club +2 and the beast club +2. I'll continue to use El's drinker, if it lasted for you it should last for me too. It seems to be special.
    Did you ever play a game where your warrior used the toothed club +2 in the main hand from the point you found it until the end ?

18. Blades of Vanatar

I would think with all the other awesome weapons, no I didn't. use the toothed club from initail finding to finish. But I hasted constantly, so I am sure I hit with it more than 5 times. I had trouble sometimes with weapons disappearing, but also many inventory items just not showing up after some time playing. When I started over, that problem went away, hence my calling it a bug. Or the game being "Glitchy". Nothing is immune to Els sucking the life-force from them and healing the wielder.....

19. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I used the +2 spiked club more than 5 times, maybe even over 1000 times, there are just only 5 charges left in the savegame.
    I don't have any problems with other items disappearing from the inventory, the only game breaking bug which occurred was two ingredients disappeared when I was trying to get out from the tapestry (ironic that the patch readme claimed that you can't get stuck there anymore), but I was wise enough to save before entering.

20. Blades of Vanatar

Did you finish? Did you have any other issues with the other weapons disappearing?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.