1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Evil Interactions, Captain Yurst

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Drawing, Jul 20, 2023.

1. Drawing Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

There is always something new to be discovered in this game. This time around I made my Evil Cleric the spokeperson of my party and there was an option to trick poor Captain Yurst into drinking a Potion of Explosions. The game even rewarded me with 525 experience points for it. I really like how there are different interactions in the game related to who is speaking to an NPC and so I decided to post this one.

Evil Banite Cleric: Can I offer you this potion of explos- uhhh, *healing* potion to drink? I found it in my friend Oswald’s airship. It should *warm* you quite nicely

Afterwards: You tricked Captain Yurst into drinking a Potion of Explosions. 525 XP.

Taluntain likes this.
  2. Mati Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Two things I discovered one time:
    - I rescued those villagers in Shengaerne, took exp and other stuff as a prize, then killed them. Bad idea, they were later reanimated and accted as cannon fodder at the bridge.
    - My LN priestess of Bane talked to imprisoned priest of Ilmater. Usually I have both good and evil options in dialogue. No this time, though - priest turned hostile :(

3. Drawing Gems: 1/31

Ha! I didn't know about any of those, although I really liked the Banite interaction in the medical tent in Targos. When my priest discovered one of the priest was worshipping the Red Knight, a newly established deity under Helm the Banite replied something along the lines of: Spare me the drivel, your mewling gods crying out in the cosmic womb of the universe can never compare to the glory of Lord Bane.

4. Mati Gems: 2/31

Personally I find final paladin response to Madae more intimidating. Something like: "If the light of truth won't show you the way, then maybe will be enough to burn you". OK, it makes your character sound like crazed zealot, but still.

5. Drawing Gems: 1/31

Oh, cool quote, I didn’t know about it. Spoiler ahead for those who haven't finished the game, but the two things that have bummed me out the most in IWD2 were:

1: The Widow Inn ghost never appearing again in a later chapter to enable some important choice or grant aid. (The Widow said we will meet again at a distant land. I know she might mean after death, but I was always hoping during the campaign that she foresaw us meeting in the Hand.)

2: There was no peaceful resolution through dialogue check in the final battle. Once again I was hoping that speaking to Mother Egenia and promising to grant mercy to her adopted children if that is possible would trigger a very difficult speech check that will allow you to persuade the siblings to stop. I was very disappointed that wasn’t the case and the siblings were hell-bent to enslave the world because one guy poisoned their cake.

SlickRCBD likes this.
  6. Mati Gems: 2/31

Peaceful resolution with those psychopaths? When you have all the cards? Only if they surrender immediately (very low probability).

7. Drawing Gems: 1/31

It’s because the game didn’t convince me that their actions had a lot of impact. The heroes from Targos put an end to most of their schemes either shortly after they were put in motion or during the start of their operations. Also the mindsets of Isaer and Madae were more that of a child with godly powers throwing a tantrum than an evil mastermind that could understand what they were doing and was driven by greed. Maybe it is the flawed character development that didn't do it for me. The twins went through being charged with the death of their adoptive mother, being homeless, were trained as assassins and the thing that broke them was holy water put in a cake? I wasn't convinced of their true villainy. I would have been more entitled to put them down if they just wanted world domination for world domination and not because they felt insulted by a bad prank. The alchemists turning people into monsters were far worse in my opinion.

8. Mati Gems: 2/31

For me it's the opposite. Someone taking power for sake of power is no different than any other ruler. Self-righetous folks excusing their own misdeeds with some whining about mistreatment and discrimination? This thing usually ends up very bad, so to hell with them.

9. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Doesn't that kill Yurst outright and cause a huge net loss in EXP awarded by not saving him?

Then again, I didn't think you can stall saving him all the way to the end of Chapter 4 but it turns out you can.

10. Drawing Gems: 1/31

Yes, it is not worth the EXP loss killing him, but I like that there is an evil option available even if players will rarely use it. I wish there were more evil flavor interactions than they are in the game, perhaps connected with evil alignment characters interacting with the Duergar, the Driders and the Drow, some evil side-missions in the Underdark would have truly elevated the chapter.

Mati likes this.
  11. Mati Gems: 2/31

Yeah, usually it's mostly paladin being triggered by anything.

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yep, the price of being evil. I'm pretty sure if you have a Paladin do that he will fall as well.

13. Jamesworkshop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i'm not sure it is possible to get a fallen pally in iwd2

I've managed it in the first game so I know it works there

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.