1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Explore Baldur's Gate or go to Ulgoth's Beard?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by Sorvo, Sep 10, 2023.

1. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Just got done flooding Cloakwood Mines and am trying to decide what to do next. The main reason I ask is because I'm not sure if my party is strong enough for Werewolf Isle or Durlag's Tower. Everyone is level 6 and Immy 7 but I think her thief skills could use another level :beer:

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'd clear out all the other areas NOT added by ToTSC before going to Ulgoth's Beard.
    Save Durlag's Tower for last, and make sure your thief has at least 90% (preferably more) in find/disarm traps and should also have 85% in open locks.
    I think I recall reading that those numbers can be reduced by 5% each, but then you have chances of failure and the traps are the toughest in Durlag's Tower. They are at Throne of Baal levels of difficulty and deadliness.

Also you can explore Baldur's Gate, just don't goto the palace or the Iron Throne. There's quite a bit to do there to get a few extra levels. Also there are quite a few shops selling some end-game items (although there are end-game items in Bergost as well, such as the Dagger of Venom, full plate mail, and adament plate). Those would be useful. The Eagle's Bow is one example, but there are many more. Not all end-game items are in stores, things like Spider's Bane can be found elsewhere.
    There are a couple items to watch for, most notably the bastard sword designed to kill shapeshifters. You will want to equip that before going to werewolf island. There are probably other weapons you might want for more general purposes, but that bastard sword will come in handy against werewolves.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
  3. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Thanx Slickster! I did go to the Beard just to do mage island but I'm going to wait to kill Shandalar for the rep hit! In the city now and already got Dex tome and Eagle bow :) I could kill Marek when he 1st introduced himself. Hope that doesn't mess things up for later?

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You need both Marek and Lothander alive for the main quest, as far as I know. If you go to Balduran's Isle while poisoned, you won't be able to make it back alive.

Exploring the Merchant's League prior to starting Mendas' quest for the Isle of Balduran will net you some extra XP from the guard and the blink dogs.

Other than that, the order doesn't matter.

5. Sorvo

Media:
    Do you get poisoned the 1st time you meet him?

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I think the timer starts the first time you talk to Lothander and get a quest entry in your journal but I'm not sure.

7. Sorvo

Media:
    I can easily wipe them out when we first talk. Will I miss much or am I just getting to the end quicker?

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    No idea. They're key characters in the main storyline. If you kill them, you might either find a copy of them later on or you might lock yourself out of completing the game altogether.

9. Sorvo

Media:
    hmmm, Guess I'll keep that save :beer:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.