1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looking for a desk phone rec: backlit caller-ID

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Jul 21, 2023.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    My desk phone kept giving me static, and replacing the cords and handset had no effect, but plugging a different phone in did clear up the static.
    So I went to replace it, but none of the local stores sell desk phones with backlit callerID anymore.
    I bought a cheap $15 replacement, but I can't read the caller ID in most lighting conditions unless I put the phone in an inconvenient place. I do have a lamp I can turn on, but I don't normally need the light unless I'm trying to read the caller ID on the phone, or messing with stuff on some shelves and need extra light (which is what the lamp was put there for when I had the backlit phone).
    I don't recall what the model of the previous phone was, I already took it to Best Buy to be recycled.

Could anybody suggest a reasonably priced ($25 or less including S&H preferred, certainly no more than $40) desk phone with a caller-ID that lights up when somebody is calling, but doesn't produce light when the phone is not in use?
    Also on the really want is a redial button, speakerphone, mute, volume control (to deal alternately with the people who shout into the phone, or the callers who mumble quietly and get annoyed at me saying "please speak up, I can't hear you") and a caller ID log.

The problem is the online listings make it hard to tell if the LCD is backlit all the time or just when somebody is calling. This phone sits on my desk near my bed, so I don't want the lights keeping me up all night.
    Otherwise I might just order one of the first options on ebay like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/3643190937...2tRymd6fMomVWEB8xuX3kuvhH+qe|tkp:BFBM1J-Z365i
    However I can't tell if the backlight will be on all the time or just when somebody is calling.

With a store I might be able to read that detail on the box, or return it easily if it is lit all the time. I might even be allowed to open the box and look at the manual (if it exists). However a lot of online listings aren't so easy to read the boxes and don't list everything on the description pages.

So any suggestions?

Oh, local stores that sell phones off the top of my head that do "ship to store":
    Walmart, Target, Best Buy, ABT, Staples, Office Depot, Maybe Costco.
    I know I'm forgetting a couple that I should be putting on my list, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head for phones. The AT&T store now only sells cell phones, unlike in the '80s.
    Oh, and there is no reason I can't order from online retailers like Amazon, Ebay, or what's left of Sears.
    Any suggestions should be for some place that ships to the NW suburbs of Chicago. I'm not saying I'm limited to that list, just that if you pick a store from the above I don't have to pay S&H to do "ship to store".

Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.