1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

More IWD2 spell discussion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by SlickRCBD, May 12, 2022.

1. Jamesworkshop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I find crits pretty important so physical keeps pace, improved criticals, executioner eyes, all the luck boosting which i'd be doing anyway since it rolls up all the damage and to hit rolls.

x3 crits is great as it sums up all sources of bonus damage and multiplies them all, gauntlets of weapon expertise (2) emotion hope (2) holy power (4) 30 strength (10) thats like 54 extra crit.

big black flying-death hits 69 (nice) 1.5x 2 hander str bonus

doesn't all have to be ranged weapons the 2d8 halberd of hate x3 crits does monster damage when you can force it to roll 16 base damage every time.

damage resistance isn't much of an issue, slashing, piercing, bludgeoning all have x3 crit weapons available to wield.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    While it is true that fewer monsters resist blunt damage, I find that the greater number of attacks per round of bows will in general outdo the damage of slings and crossbows.
    Yes, there are specific monsters that will resist, but you can have your back lines have a backup sling or just let somebody with a mace or hammer take care of those foes.
    That said, I don't go out of my way to get feats/proficiencies for spellcasters. If the wizard or cleric is an elf I might give them a long bow, but otherwise I'll give them a crossbow or sling.
    I like to try to have at least one character that can use each type of magical projectile you collect because they are so expensive and there are foes that need magic weapons to be hit.
    I tend to default to bows because you get the most of both them and arrows, and because only some classes come with proficiency to use them while anybody can use a sling and most can use a crossbow (in IWD2). It is particularly true about finding TONS of normal arrows for free to the point where I don't think I've ever bought arrows in any Infinity Engine game save possibly my first run of BG1, although I have bought bullets and darts. Of course, I also use the ease-of-use/G3 Tweaks/Tweaks Anthology mod to allow me stack virtually infinite arrows of the same type.
    I haven't run out of normal arrows in any of the Infinity Engine games despite never buying them and favoring them over magical ones unless an enemy is resistant.
    Although that doesn't stop me from having one archer use the returning target arrow in IWD2. I just assign the normal arrows to other archers and give whoever tends to shoot the most the target arrow. (Also in BG2 I give the quiver of plenty with the magical arrows to whoever has the highest THAC0, usually the thief since all the NPC thieves (Nalia, Jan, Ioen, Yoshimo) use shortbows. Warriors like Minsc keep the 2,500-5,000 normal arrows I've picked up by then.)

I feel if I have all six party members use slings there wouldn't be enough magical bullets to go around, even if I do favor normal bullets when possible. So I tend to have as many bowmen as possible, and strive (though rarely achieve this) to have 1 crossbowman, 1 slinger, and four archers, with two party members using darts or axes as a backup weapon. Usually I wind up with 2 archers, a slinger, a crossbowman, somebody using darts, and my front-line tank using throwing axes (get rid of the normal 4lb ones first, and never buy axes, then switch to halft-over-head) as their rarely-used ranged option, and carry the party's worst bow as a backup for when more range is needed like when shooting the orcs behind the barrels in the first part of the Shangarne).

3. Jamesworkshop Gems: 3/31

Bows don't especially get more attacks per round although they did in some I.E games.
    Slings, Bows, Select magic crossbows, Throwing weapons. all can hit 5 APR.

Everlast arrows are pretty available, the Icewall and both floors of the Ice temple do have 1 fixed container so three are easy to get early.

Returning flame bullets +1 are a bit trickier, 2 from Lord Pyros gifts are the easy ones but quite deep into the game; Aruma Blane and Limha can drop them as random loot; White wyrm nest can save scum for them.

Returning throwing weapons show up consistently, chapter 1 bludgeoning axe, mage killer from Ennelia, Shocking burst from battlesquares, ice temple throwing darts (mediocre but do return) Lamia's Tongue in River caves, Throwing hammer of thunder from Underdark dwarf merchant. Flying-death two hander axe Kuldahar merchant, Poisonfang in Serpent temple.

My item break down is slings/throwing mixed onto clerics. wiz/sorc lean on bows or Hagnen's Folly from Andora village
    save scum top of the war tower for Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy +4 , as a treat

Iyachtu Xvim, Isair, Madae all weak to electric and cold so a target for all those frost and sparkling crossbow bolts

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I honestly only remember two everlast arrows, but it's been a while.

5. Jamesworkshop Gems: 3/31

yeah been taking more notes on things

1 is west of the entrance to the temple ar4100
    1 is in the hidden rooms right after entering the temple ar4101
    1 is in a crate inside the locked room you need Oria's temple key on the second floor ar4102

Only upgrade to Everlast arrows is Returning poison arrows but they only seem to be random loot.

Can't believe i'd overlooked it for so long but Galloway trade depot (Targos) does sell a basic returning throwing hammer

Goblin warrens has the first returning throwing dart of frost, Nickademus cabinet has one too.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
    gibberishh likes this.
  6. gibberishh Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I can attest to this. I've been playing IWD2 recently (two runs actually) and was actually irritated by the number of returning projectiles the game threw at me (on HoF). Though I haven't been taking notes as @Jamesworkshop has, there are tons of returning weapons/ammo in the game. From memory, there are many even without HoF.

As an addendum, this whole discussion is (imo) about secondary damage. Therefore it really doesn't matter. We're into super-optimization territory here. At least in my play-style, primary damage is always melee, unless I manage to capture a horde of monsters in Entangle+Web (or Stunned or something similar). For secondary damage, I don't really care about anything other than the fact that I am doing damage. That's why my focus on damage type vs APR or crits. Of course, if I want to fireball everyone then this whole discussion is moot. Same reason why I default to slings for everyone when I'm feeling lazy during Character Creation.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.