1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

No Rest For the Wicked

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Caradhras, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    [Well, for a start he is NE, not CE. So he is not a raving lunatic. The most evil deed so far has been killing Firebead but at that point his reputation was still at 6. I decided not to give money to temples, it doesn't feel right to me for that game. I guess Jaheira has doubts but she has promised to watch over him and now she may be watching him as well... Here is the next instalment:]

We finally got to the mines south of Nashkel. There we fought the bounty hunter Greywolf and we got hold of some nice stuff when the famous artist Prism died. His last words were about some elf called Ellesime. The name does ring a bell and is vaguely familiar. It's a pity I don't have access to the library to refresh my memory. Imoen can't help me she never cared that much about books although she seems to have developped a very odd interest for Tarnesh's spellbook. I don't know if I should encourage her, she is useless enough as a rogue, she might be even worse as a spellcaster. One day she may amount to something. In the meantime I have to make do with what companions I have.

We stormed the mines without encountering any dangerous foe. We freed an elf . I've never beheld such a puny whelp. I could have killed him to put him out of his misery but I thought that letting him wallow in his despair and live on his pathetic existence for a little more was a better punishment. I got hold of his moonblade but it won't let me wield it. I need to find a way to unlock its powers.

Tiax greatly enjoyed slaying the blasphemer Mulahey, the cleric who ran the operation down the mine. But that follower of the Dark Sun was not at the bottom of this conspiracy, somebody else is pulling the strings of this puppet show.

Back in Nashkel we ran into a widow whose husband had disappeared in the mines. I never met with so much ingratitude...

We were attacked by another assassin, one called Nimbul . I found another note on his corpse. At last my enemy is taking me seriously! I AM dangerous!!!

Anyway we went back to Beregost to find the half-orc Mulahey's accomplice, a *mage* called Tranzig. We got rid of him very easily. It seems the person responsible for the iron crisis and for the attacks on my person are the same! The plot thickens!

This adventuring business is starting to be profitable. We're becoming famous, even kids in Beregost know who we are. There must be a way to make some gold out of this fame.

The old man we met on the road introduced himself. It's Elminster! I'd wager he is the "E." who wrote the letter that sent us on our way with Gorion... Therefore he must know Khalid and Jaheira although they didn't acknowledge knowing him.

There is only one explanation. Gorion, Jaheira and Khalid must belong to the secret society known as the Harpers or the meddlers. If that is the case I have to be careful. I don't want to be a pawn in their games...

2. Caradhras

Media:
    We left Beregost and went North to find the bandit camp. In the woods a dark elf asked for our protection. As if I cared. I don't need a useless drow who can't even fend out for herself in my party!

I had another strange dream. It was so real. I was back in the mines. My power is growing I can feel it... I don't know what is happening to me but it's exhilarating.

Khalid fell during the battle outside the camp, he was slain by a fierce warrior in a heavy plate armour. The final confrontation was rather disappointing. Our foes were certainly not up to the task. Their chief, Tazok, wasn't even there. As it turns out he is but a minion of a greater foe. Our next target is the Cloakwood. Somebody named Davaeorn has the answers we seek but the real puppet master is called Sarevok ...

We took Khalid's remains back to the temple at the Friendly Arm. Elminster was waiting for me there. He was as cryptic and mysterious as before. I won't fall into his game. He claims neutrality but I believe he's to blame for the situation as it is. If he was so righteous and *good* why didn't he tell me what he knew? He is wilfully keeping me in the dark and I see no reason to confide in him.

I had a chat with Tiax . His crudeness is refreshing and it's a great joy to have him with us, if only to hear the others complain about his presence in our midst...

I had another very strange dream. My power is growing so fast. I desire it but I'm afraid it might consume me if I'm not wary.

I ran into some other groups of assassins in the wilds. They were no match for me.

We collected 5,000 gold for the head of the mad cleric Bassilus . Tiax relished the killing. He hates blasphemers who are unworthy to worship his deity with a fierce fervour.

I did some ogre killing but got no reward for my efforts. I was really angry. But the dwarf Sarhedra got away before I could get my money. This hero job is definitely not worth the trouble. Such ingratitude...

I decided to explore Durlag's tower. The dungeon was well guarded with battle horrors and other monstrosities. Once we got inside we were able to collect some loot from the upper tiers of the dungeon. I freed a succubus named Kirinhale by trapping another dungeon crawler in the tower for all eternity. It's too bad that once she was free she didn't give me any reward! It would seem that a succubus is not to be trusted. I won't fall again for such a cheap trick, that's for sure!

That put me in a rotten mood and I didn't look kindly at the halfling thief who tried to steal my purse in Beregost. I also got into an argument with Silke, I'm afraid that the late thespian extraordinaire won't give any performance before the Dukes in Baldur's gate.

[ April 12, 2007, 21:19: Message edited by: Caradhras ]

3. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Greatly enjoying the exploitations of Olath here. :D Please, do continue.

4. Caradhras

Media:
    [Thanks :) ]

Since I was in no hurry to get to the Cloakwood I decided to explore the Sword Coast. We met many interesting folks there and we rid the Realms of many fools.

Two of these fools were Vax and Zal the self proclaimed fastest dart thrower. We also dispatched an Amnish hunting party led by Sendai a pompous southerner. Next was Borda a crook who tried to con us into buying dubious magical wares.

We slaughtered an entire Xvart village and it was a lot of fun to hear them scream as we killed them without mercy.

Many bandits fell under our blades: Neville and his hobgobelins, Zargal and his hobgobelins, Ba'ruk and his... hobgobelins. Bandits seem to like having hobgobelins as henchmen. I can't see why since they're not worthy adversaries.

We met a paladin named Laurel who asked for our help. I politely declined. It is not my duty to prevent another from attaining fame through valorous deeds or (as it seems more likely in this paladin's case) perish in the attempt.

I found a talking chicken who requested that we should take him back to his mentor, the mage Thalantyr. I did so and got 50 gold pieces for my efforts but I might have forgotten to tell the mage that the chicken was actually his *apprentice* it doesn't bother me however since I'm sure the mage will relish his next meal. I gave him a special recipe of mine: chicken soup with turnips (yummy).

I stumbled upon Laryssa and Brage and brought them both to justice at the end of my sword. Since I couldn't collect the bounty from the big fool in Nashkel I took Brage's corpse to the temple of Helm. Nalin was so grateful. It's always a good idea to have friends in the right places and it never hurts to be friendly with a high ranking cleric of Helm.

I struck an agreement with Gallor to steal some idol from an ancient tomb which was excavated by Charleston Nib. I got rid of the Doomsayer, an avenging spirit and recovered the idol. Gallor was so annoying that I decided to slay him instead.

We rescued Ardrouine's son from worgs at the abandonned lighthouse. She paid us a paltry sum, 60 gold pieces. I shouldn't even bother rescuing peasants. A noble would have offered a hefty reward. Well what's done is done.

I killed a fortune teller who was pestering me and a mad gnome who was insisting that I should give him some ring that I had found in a shipwreck. I'm starting to hoard a few cursed items, they might be useful some day.

I met a mage called the Surgeon who confessed being Davaeorn's brother. He assured me that he was not in league with my enemy. I decided to kill him all the same. One can never be too careful.

I'm getting annoyed with Khalid and Jaheira. Khalid is such a whelp. He is always complaining. It's not my fault that Jaheira is always running out of healing spells. I just used Larloch's Minor Drain on him to heal me, I thought they would understand. But they made such a fuss about it. It's a good thing after all that I didn't use Vampiric Touch. I wonder what they would have said. They're such bores...

5. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

LOL loving it!

6. Caradhras

Media:
    We visited the ruins of Ulcaster, an absolutely charming scenery. Our travels led us to confront numerous foes: Cattack and his hobgobelins, Mutamin and his basilisks, Kirian and her adventuring party...

I enjoy killing adventurers and mages. Bandits are too boring, they can't fight properly.

I eventually found a way to get rid of the bothersome Khalid. During the night I coaxed him into using a cursed scroll of petrification. As a consequence and to jaheira's dismay he was turned into stone . The fool has his own statue now. Since many basilisks were roaming in the wood it was easy to put the blame on a monster on the prowl. Jaheira is utterly crushed by her loss. This is so utterly enjoyable!

We have a new companion. A fierce female warrior called Shar-Teel, she is mean and aggressive and a great addition to our *merry* little band. I don't believe she can be trusted but she is a mercenary and as such she respects wealth and strength. As long as she knows that I'm the master she should be fine. I'll keep up on a tight leash for now. She seems to have a total lack of respect for men. If she offends me I'll find some use for the Girlde of Masculinity/Feminity, that should give her some insight about gender and teach her a lesson if need be.

We met a ranger named Fahrington who gave us a cursed scroll, I killed him for this mischief.

There was a party of Red Wizards hiding in the woods. They seemed surprised that we found them. I was disappointed. I had expected them to be tougher than that. I cast a Fireball spell and we promptly finished them off with a few arrows. Red Mages are not what they're said to be.

We met Lena in a forest infested with gibberlings. She asked us to take Samuel to the temple of Wisdom. We delivered him to the Flaming Fist for 50 gold pieces. Jaheira was still grieving over the loss of her husband. I pointed out the fact that the man is a deserter and that such an offence shouldn't go unpunished. Am I the only one to believe in justice?

A crazy warrior challenged us to a fight. He claimed to be the best swordsman of the Sword Coast. He might have been. I stunned him with a spell and we slaughtered him. He was wearing some fine bracers of weapon expertise which I donned to improve my skills.

The Realms are filled with fools with an oversized ego. We met an ogre mage named Kahrk who claimed he was the most powerful of his kind. Fair enough he was powerful but he wasn't that powerful.

Shar-Teel seems desirous to know me better, I'm tempted. She is certainly not as pretty as Imoen but she is a real woman.

7. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    :D Hah, classic! Keep writing!

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Truly a fine example of 'smart' evil. Keep up the good, er, evil work. :D

9. cmorgan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Great stuff, through a mirror darkly... I hope he goes for the Shar-Teel Romance. That is some damn fine writing, and some very interesting random possibilities, but i have never actually played or playtested it. it would be great to see how it really works with smart playing.

10. Caradhras

Media:
    [Thanks for reading so far! I'd like to give the Shar Teel romance a try. The work that has been done on NPCs is awesome. It feels so 'right', so in character. I don't know the ins and outs of the NPC mod so I guess I'm in for a surprise. ;) ]

We explored the ruins under the Firewine bridge and discovered a passage leading to the halfling village of Gullykin. We met an annoying halfling lass by the name of Alora . It's a good thing that she left because she was beginning to get on my nerves. I hate halflings they're so pathetic...

We were attacked by another group of bounty hunters. They were so confident and I enjoyed a great deal the diversion they offered. Their cries of agony and pain were delightful.

It seems Imoen is turning into a real mage. She seems to be a natural. I would have never expected her to show such prowess in the arcane arts. She isn't that good yet but it's very promising so far. If she lives long enough she will probably become a spellcaster to be reckoned with. Gorion would have been proud.

Shar-Teel doesn't get on well with Imoen. It's good because it keeps them both sharp, on the edge. In fact now that I come to think about this I don't believe Shar-Teel gets on well with anyone in the party. I can't say I'm surprised though. She has a loud mouth.

We fought a druid renegade. It appears that all druids are not as weak willed and benevolent as my *friend* Jaheira. This is good to know.

Our party went Ankheg hunting it proved an excellent training albeit a rather dangerous one.

I became embroiled in a rivalry between fishermen and a priestess of Umberlee. I decided to retrieve the relic and deliver it to the priestess. There's no way I'll ever work for peasants and fishermen, they're a complete waste of time. I didn't got anything from the priestess yet, but she promised me a reward. Debts are nevertheless meant to be settled, and the sooner is the better. The reward has better be munificent or else she won't find me very magnanimous.

11. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

LOL - keep it up!

12. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

:grin:

13. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Looking good Caradhras! You've long been at the forefront in supporting playing evil in BG, it is good to see how one of your games unfolds.

14. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Third day without another episode. I am about to go into trauma being deprived of this adventure. Please, Caradhras, which is more important real life or posting your marvelous adventure? :eek:

15. Caradhras

Media:
    [Well RL can be boring and time consuming... Not to worry, Olath Faern will return!]

So we made our way through the Cloakwood Forest. We ran into a hunter named Coran. He told us about a reward for a wyvern's head. I decided to get the reward for myself. No need to share it with such a whelp.

A nobleman called Aldeth Sashenstar asked for our protection from a ban of savages. By his looks it was obvious that he could pay us well so we complied. However it turned out he was facing a band of druids...

I decided to change sides. I looted the noble's corpse and found a handsome reward for my efforts.

The druid leader is one called Seniyad he asked for Jaheira's help. I was reluctant but Jaheira made it clear that she would leave if we didn't help him.

I wish I had another healer so I could leave this headstrong woman behind. Anyway I complied with a curt remark that her druid friends had tricked us into killing Aldeth Sashenstar. I hit a nerve since Jaheira doesn't share Seniyad's view on outsiders.

Boring tree huggers!

We went through a part of the woods that was infested with spiders. We met a man who asked us to look for his brother. I wasn't interested until he mentioned a weapon named Spider's Bane. I do hate spiders.

We found the blade and it's a very efficient weapon against spiders... It was hidden in the lair of a cursed creature named Centeol . She told us she had been cursed by some archmage. I forgot his name. It's of no consequence anyhow.

Eventually we reached the Shadow Druids hideout. We killed Laskal who mistook us for mercenaries affiliated to the Iron Throne. The enemies of my enemies should be my friends however it's not the case and we kill him all the same.

We killed the archdruid and his cronies.

In a cave we found some crazed Ranger training baby wyverns as pets . He went down quietly.

In the heart of the woods we found the wyvern's lair. It was worth our time to hunt them and kill them, we received 2,000 gold pieces as a reward for a head from Kelddath in Beregost.

Back in the woods our path crossed Seniyad's and this time I got really bored. I got into an argument with him and killed him. Jaheira got mad at me but I told her that this druid was a killer and a murderer and that he had to be brought to justice. Of course she disagreed but my arguments brought doubt in her mind as to whether Seniyad was a threat or not.

Jaheira is certainly growing restless.

We found the secret mines in the woods. There we fought a group of mercenaries led by a man called Drasus. They died quickly and quietly. So many foes and not one to match us!

They were working for someone named Rieltar. We now have some clues regarding the identity of our foes.

In the mines I was able to help a miner. I was feeling rather generous !

But then we met a slave named Rill who asked us for 100 gold to bribe the guards. I declined but Jaheira gave him the gold anyway... So I had to take some action to retrieve my money.

Hopefully she was too far away to see what I did. She's becoming a real nuisance!

We slaughtered the mage Davaeorn who was in charge of the operations. I found some scrolls about their operation in the woods linking them to the iron shortage. Davaeorn's apprentice, a puny mageling named Stephan, gave us some information about the mines. He begged for mercy. I killed him nevertheless.

I retrieved the key and we flooded the mines, drowning the last of Davaeorn's lackeys in the tunnels.

Then we headed back to the Friendly Arm. I had another strange dream. My power is growing day after day...

Now we can at last enter the city of Baldur's Gate!

[ April 25, 2007, 00:39: Message edited by: Caradhras ]

16. Nakia

Media:
    :) Thank you, Caradhras. Trauma is gone. All is well in the world of Faerun.

17. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

For a brief moment you scared me. :p

BTW Caradhras, do you use your Jester's song ?
    In conjunction with invisibility it could be very useful in some situations (like getting an "innocent" killed without loss of rep.).
    It could open up some interesting possibilities. ;)

18. Caradhras

Media:
    [Of course a bard has to use every option at his disposal! At lower levels the Jester song isn't that good however. Now it's beginning to pay off.
    I have a hard time keeping the reputation above 3...]

At the gates of the city a man named Scar hired us to investigate the Seven Suns. We're now working for the Flaming Fist. What irony!

I delayed our visit of the city for a little while. There was a problem with zombies, we got rid of the undead and received a small amount of gold. Farmers don't have the funds to hire heroes.

We visited the little fishing village of Ulgoth Beard. A dwarf asked us to find a dagger in Durlag's Tower. He promised us a hammer in exchange. I picked it from him when he wasn't looking. I'm not going to explore an entire dungeon to ingratiate an old senile dwarf!

In the middle of the village a pompous mage called Shandalar assaulted us. He sent us to a mysterious island in the middle of nowhere to retrieve a cloak that belonged to him. There we fought many spellcasters who had gone insane after being trapped in that cold island.

Back in Ulgoth Beard we confronted Shandalar. We used some of the items we had found on the island to incapacitate him. I finished him myself, chopping him to pieces with my scimitars.

This revenge from the arrogant fool who slighted us put me in a good mood so I listened to the whining of a woman who had lost her son and I decided to help a stranger by the name of Mendas to get a hold of maritime charts from the merchants in Baldur's Gate.

Finally I had a nice friendly chat with a rapscallion named Calahan. He provided me with some useful information .

It's time for us to head for Baldur's Gate...

19. cmorgan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Wow - you have managed to keep both Jaheira and Minsc. I am pretty darned impressed... by now, I am hoping SharTeel is putting some moves on you. Or vice versa. The flirts alone would be absolutely perfect for this playthrough. Wicked cool (literally).

20. Caradhras

Media:
    [I had to give money to the temple though I didn't want to at first...
    I guess something went wrong with the romance since I had only two lovetalks. I must have missed something. Never mind.]

We barely entered the city when Elmister accosted us. The old coot claims to be neutral but he sure enjoys pulling his strins from afar.

Anyway I learned that the Flaming Fist is in trouble. The crisis is more important than we assumed and its consequences could be dire. The perfect setting for an ingenious rogue with great ambitions.

We met a representative of the local thieves guild, he introduced to the guildmaster. We did some work with the thieves. the two jobs we did with Darkwalk went smoothly and we have a mission to retrieve some artifacts. The pay is good and I always liked to work nights.

In the middle of the city we were attacked by Dabron Sashenstar who claimed we had killed his brother. Funny I don't remember killing him, but I killed so many fools lately I believe I might have killed him all the same. Anyway he seemed quite self confident and I didn't want to disappoint him.

Later on we were attacked by a spellcaster named Entillis Fulsom who claimed he knew about my father ... My *real* father. According to this mage my real father was evil. Am I evil? Who was this mage to judge? I seem to be embroiled in a mystery. Clearly Gorion knew much about my lineage. Elmister didn't tell me anything useful. I doubt Jaheira knows anything. She seems worried nevertheless. I'm free to choose my own destiny and I won't be bullied by all these goody two shoes and self righteous fools. I'll choose my own path...

A priest of Tymora asked us for help. he wanted us to save his child from the temple of Umberlee. I was willing to consider the matter but he had no inclination for negotiations . A pity, a real pity...

We ran into some hassle at the Blade and Stars inn . I wish we could have killed that innkeeper. I wouldn't have the Flaming Fist after my head for that though.

We worked for Ramazith and we got rid of his enemy the mage Ragefast. The pay was rather disappointing so I decided to eliminate Ramazith as well. Good riddance.

Near the mage's tower we encountered a large warrior who was quite a challenge for a change. Jardak could have been a real danger if he hadn't been caught unawares. He wore a very nice helmet. We were lucky enough that there was no dent in it after the beating it received.

Back to the docks we killed a basilisks in a warehouse and then we decided to rest a liitle. Unfortunately we got into a fight with some crazy warrior. She had some nice gauntlets. I gave them to Tiax, the little gnome needs all the help he can get if he is to *conquer* the world.

We also got into a scrape with a mage called Yago. I'm afraid it was all a misunderstanding. But why should I even bother?

I got into so many fights that I had to come to an agreement with the temple of Helm. I gave away a small fortune so that they could put a good word for me. The difference between offerings and bribes is a question of semantics.

I left Tiax and Shar Teel at the Blushing mermaid where we had a nice encounter with a brainless ogre, then we went back to get Eldoth. We *rescued* Skie from her family and then we went to collect the ransom money. I decided to collect the money on my own. I gave a little gift to Eldoth and Skie before we parted. A sort of wedding present, two engagement rings . They're such a nice couple now.

After some haggling for a pint of De'Tranion's Baalor Ale we got the charts from captain Kieres and we took them to Mendas in Ulgoth's Beard. It turned out Mendas had some other assignment for us. I had misgivings and I decided to cast a spell to detect evil. I was right. Mendas was not to be trusted. He was some sort of werewolf, probably the very same beast which lurked at night around these parts. We managed to kill him with some difficulty since our weapons were almost useless against it.

We went back to Baldur's Gate and we investigated the Seven Suns compound. Dopplegangers had replaced all the merchants. Scar paid us well for this work and he introduced us to Duke Eltan who asked us to spy on the Iron Throne.

After a nice fight we got some information about the whereabouts of the Iron Throne leaders... They are in Candlekeep! Save for one named Thaldorn who begged for his life. I politely declined and we dispatched him promptly.

Before going to Candlekeep I decided to have a good night's rest. We went to the Helm and Cloak Inn. There we met some noble lady. She was awfully kind . 189 gold pieces is not that bad after all!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.