1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

No Rest For the Wicked

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Caradhras, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I sure am trying... :evil:

I forgot to mention the mods! Sorry. I have Unfinished Business, the Questpack and Keto along with the Fixpack and BG2 tweaks. I also have the Spell 50 component.

2. Caradhras

Media:
    It's been more than a year since I updated this thread. I lost my save, it wouldn't load and I did try (copied everything from my old computer but still) and I finally gathered the will to start over SoA.

A good thing I kept this screenshot of my character at the early stage in Irenicus Dungeon. I SKed the Golden Pantaloons and the starting XP and stats from BG1. I lost many spells my character had learned in BG1, something I can blame Irenicus for! :mad:

Here is Olath Faern once again in Irenicus Dungeon only this time he shall get a little help from a Bard who shall remain nameless (Olath Faern doesn't like the competition).

I took advantage of this new start to add a few mods: Xan, Hubelpot, Iylos (for ToB), Alassa, Ghareth, Tiax, Angelo, Dungeon Crawl, Shards of Ice, Tower of Deception, Assassinations... I might have got carried away a little but we shall see (all the same I wanted to try these mods and I haven't played BG2 for a year).

I hope things won't go awry and that my computer will not mess with me like the old one did.

Now I have to play through my last posts and hopefully I'll start updating Olath Faern's progress very soon.

Olath Faern will return!

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Resurrecting a year-old thread.

Talk about wicked!

:p

4. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Oooohh! This certainly looks nice!

:banana:

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Truth be told, I had forgotten about this. Good to see you getting going again- I'll be watching with interest.

Especially from that Haer' Dalis jackass!

He's got a lot to make up for- got to start somewhere!

6. Caradhras

Media:
    Thanks guys.

@Splunge: I'm still trying to get that Necromancer degree but when you work full time it's not that easy.

You got it... Especially since my game ended prematurely when Olath Faern was going to demonstrate the superiority of the Jester over the Blade.

Still enjoying the scenery at the Promenade. ;)

Edit: now at the Harpers compound, I've already done Baron Ployer's curse (triggered it by accident). It's been so long I had forgotten how fun it is to play that game. Had a hard time re-adjusting to my former tactics and I had to reload the first fight with Mencar Pebblecrusher and his goons, although I always did that fight right after getting out of Irenicus Dungeon. Still, it's coming back to me now.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  7. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

This is great fun, as Minsc (or Gromnir) would say - can't wait for more installments.
    I just installed RE for a laugh and am busy whoring my way around Athkatla - maybe I should do a Belle de Jour-style blog, lol.

8. Caradhras

Media:
    I've been doing some quests from the Assassinations mod, but I don't consider expanding on the subject since I don't want to spoil this mod for people who haven't played it yet. So far it does the trick, allowing you to act as a hitman in Athkatla, should I post about it, I'll indicate the possible spoilers so you can avoid reading the mod related information.

I didn't install RE because it didn't seem to suit the mood of my bard (not to mention the fact that he would certainly get into trouble with Jaheira). ;)

Here is the long overdue installment for Olath Faern's adventures in Amn:

With Minsc gone, I decided to go back to the Government District. Our little band was one man short and I needed someone else to carry our loot around. I noticed an elf who looked vaguely familiar. The helpless whelp who was prisoner in the mines in Nashkel. How did he make his way to Amn? I also noticed he had recovered his moonblade. The very moonblade I had tried so long to attune to my own self to! How did he recover it from the equipment that had been stolen from us after we were captured. Well, this will remain a mystery since I parted the elf from his sword. I wonder though how he made it that far south...

Anyway, we got into the prison and managed to negotiate an early release for the gnomish smuggler, Jan Jansen. Jan is rather short in comparison to Minsc but he makes up for his diminutive size with his useless chatter. The guard was intensely relieved to see him go. He might not see his coins again though.

We met a strange woman who offered us her "help" she looks ominous enough but I might consider it. Soon enough the Shadow Thieves came up with another deal to match this new offer. I find all this hassle troublesome and I think I'd rather get the information I need from the Cowled Wizards themselves. The problem is that there is no certainty as to whether or not they are ready to oblige and divulge what I need to know once I comply to their terms.

Anyway, I got some clue regarding the whereabouts of the fugitive Valygar, according to his former lover who doesn't seem to be on congenial terms with him now, Valygar owns some property in the Umar Hills. Before I leave the city on such a wild goose chase I still had a few things to attend to.

I'm aware of the guild war and I've witnessed some fights between Shadow Thieves and vampires. I wonder who is behind this feud. If I could convince Tolgerias then I wouldn't have to depend on the Shadow Thieves or their opposition for the answers I need. I'd rather cut the middleman and in order to get the favours of the Shadow Thieves (and hopefully bypass Gaelan) I have to expose Mae'var and gain his trust. I met his right hand man who is none other than Edwin the Red Mage from Thay. That wizard is a conceited fool with delusions of greatness and I have but spite for him.

He ordered me to dispose of a Cowled Wizard who has been breathing down his neck. I had no choice but to comply. I don't mind killing another wizard, but I resent Edwin's way of ordering me about. I must bide my time and follow his orders, for now...

I killed Rayic Gethras, the mage proved a worthy foe and when I reported his death to Edwin, the latter sent us to retrieve some incriminating scrolls from a bloated fool at the Sea's Bounty. I bumped into the man and picked his pockets, he certainly didn't notice anything.

Now it's time to report back to Edwin. I'm getting sick and tired of all this fetch and carry business, it's better be over soon or I'm seriously considering carving his chest open with my blade so this mageling can really turn red.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  9. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Much appreciated!

10. Caradhras

Media:
    Warning: I have decided to include Angelo in my party. I will put a spoiler warning for any important turn of events introduced by the mod, in the following post you won't learn more than what the readme would tell you (and probably less, but still I thought it would be fair to give you a warning).

We reported back ou success to Edwin. The cur still had a chore for us and he told us to consult Mae'var who wanted us to dispose of a thief called Embarl. It was just business, nothing personal. While at the Sea's Bounty we discovered a pirate hideout and plundered it.

Back to Mae'var's guild, we had another chat with Edwin. It seems the Red Wizard knew all along what we were up to and he decided to join us. I relented to get the incrimitaing evidence. But I hadn't forgot what I owed him. The Mage from Thay got what he deserved.

Renal Bloodscalp was pleased with our endeavours, the proof that Mae'var was getting into an alliance with the Night Masks was a death warrant. We merely executed the order. The fight with Mae'var was a rather bloody one. Jan got the worse of it but Jaheira was able to call him from the dead before it was too late. I know for sure why I keep her around and put up with her pathetic wailings over Khalid's death.

I find Jan more and more amusing. Anomen is too proud and I can't taunt him directly, the would be knight wouldn't accept that. I must limit myself to irony and veiled sarcasm. Jan is not so subtle and I relish their quips. My gnomish friend has a way with words and Anomen is quite incapable of finding a proper response, I find that hilarious.

I was disapointed to find out that Renal couldn't offer us a way to avoid dealing with the annoying Gaelan. Still the money he gave us for our services will certainly prove quite useful;

Back to the Copper Coronet I ran into an ill tempered dwarf named Korgan who suggested to go treasure hunting with him. I accepted. The dwarf has a bloody streak and I don't trust him but so far he has proven his worth. We got down the crypts and we got rid of the undead monsters haunting the place to find out that it had already been looted by Korgan's former crew. We tracked them to the roof of the Copper Coronet and split the reward with the sullen dwarf before leaving him to sate his thirst for ale there.

There are rumours of a new cult in the temple district. It seems of great concern to the priest of Helm. I don't care much about priests and cults but I know how useful it can be to have the favour of Helm's followers. I remember how the money I gave and the services I rendered to the priest of Helm when I was in Baldur's Gate helped me to get into the right circles and to atone for the reputation I had gained through mischief. I might consider helping them out provided the fee is high enough. I know for sure that my reputation would benefit from that.

I also heard of a place called Watcher's Keep down south. It seems that heroes are needed everywhere these days. For now I have my hands full in the city but I will consider it in the future.

Anomen was summoned to his trial by Sir Ryan Trawl. The judgement of Torm was without appeal and Anomen was cast away as being unworthy of becoming a knight. I never thought Anomen would grow a spine, the man is full of surprises! If it wasn't for me he would have confronted the knights in combat right away. His anger and his rage will serve me well. He is a man whose dreams and lifelong ambitions have been crushed and he has lost his last remaining purpose in life. A desperate man can be dangerous, I'll have to find him a new purpose and sharpen his hatred of the knights and his thirst for revenge so that he'll fight for me no matter what.

Back in the Bridge District I heard rumours about a killer who preys on the poor. It seems to be such an idiotic thing to do. The poor have nothing of interest, and I can't see what would be the point of robbing them. There must be some evil ritual at work. My curiosity is piqued but I'm not so curious that I'm going to get out of my way to solve that mystery. At the Five Flagons Inn we met a bard by the name of Keto, we had a few drinks and listened to her stories about the hero of the Sword Coast. It was quite entertaining. But we shouldn't have underestimated the intoxicating nature of the large variety of drinks that can be sampled in that place.

Raelis Shai is looking for a missing actor who has disappeared in the city. I would be tempted to act as a patron of the arts but the platry sum she offered is a major deterrent. It's a mere pitance and I have too much on my hands right now to consider it. I might if I have to strive against boredom but it doesn't seem to be the case in the near future.

While we were relaxing, we did some gravedigging in the Graveyard District. It seems an odd custom to bury people alive. I find the scheme interesting. Asking for ransom and dropping your quarry under a heap of dirt sounds like a clever idea to make a few gold coins. Unfortunately for him, the man we unwittingly rescued had nothing to offer. I'm not going to disrupt the local trade if I don't get a major incentive to do so. By major I mean enough gold to keep me occupied for a tenday.

We happened to run into a face from the past. Angelo, my late brother handyman, the very man who sentenced me to die by hanging in Baldur's Gate. Fate marches in mysterious and unpredictable ways. I killed him once, I could kill him a second time if need be. While I was considering which weapon I would soil with his unclean blood he made me an offer I could not refuse. He offered to serve me like he had served my brother. While it's true that Sarevok's corpse is now rotting in th Undercity, I can't contest the fact that he had his share of success before we ran into each other. Angelo Dosan is the right man to second me in my quest to unlock the power of Bhaal. He was familiar with Sarevok's lineage and his lack of principles is refreshing. Jaheira remonstrated but I can't make her see the wisdom in my decision. It was a bold move I admit but I know something that she doesn't but that Angelo is fully aware of. I'm as ruthless as my late brother was and I'll have more than even he could dream of. It's my destiny and nobody will stand between me and what is rightfully mine...

Something Angelo didn't think fit to mention is that he has a bounty on his head. That doesn't bother me. I've been hunted so long, I don't mind killing more bounty hunters.

Yoshimo has betrayed a certain interest in my origins. His curiosity is not surprising, I've been around enough rogues already and I know their prying eyes don't miss much. Still I wonder if the man has an agenda that he keeps hidden from me. I've been watching him ever since we left our captor's dungeon and I suspect that his outgoing nature conceals some dark secret. I rest easy having him in my sight where I can watch him. Thieves are not known for being loyal and yet, so far I have nothing to substantiate these suspicions. Perhaps it's only the consequence of one of the many visions I had lately.

Although Jan's constant chattering is wearing down on almost everyone in the party, he never ceases to amuse me. The gnomish peddler is both irritating and astute and his reputation in Athkatla precedes us wherever we go.

I eventually decided to make a deal with Gaelan Bayle. The Shadow Thieves are the evil I know. They may betray me but they wouldn't benefit from that with the guild war raging in the streets. I don't think I could have had so much trust with the other group. Gaelan gave me a pass so that I can meet up with Aran Linvail, the master of the Shadow Thieves and one of the most powerful men in Faerun. I can't wait.

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Why didn't you keep Korgan?! :p
    Also, slaughtering the Order of the Most Radiant Hearts is very fun. If you have a high-levelled Viconia, you can even control them and make them kill each other! Bahahaha!! Anomen shall have his revenge on the pack of dogs!

12. Gholam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

This is awesome! Keep it up dude!

13. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Huhhwhat? :jawdrop: Viccy can control paladins!? Is this through a mod again?

14. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

It's one of the new things ToB adds to the game, evil clerics can now turn and scare paladins! (so it is not nice to have both Viccy and Keldorn togther anymore)

15. Caradhras

Media:
    I'm sorry but there will be no updates in the near future. It seems that I'm doomed not to go through SoA. I hope to resume posting about Olath Faern's adventures once I get my computer working properly. Anyway, thanks for reading that far.

16. Gholam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

aww, no more olath...

17. Caradhras

Media:
    Hopefully he will return... When I get that [censored] computer working again! :bang:

18. Caradhras

Media:
    My computer works but I lost my save... Although I copied my entire BG2 folder it seems that Vista didn't bother copying compatibility files which means that I'll have to start from the very beginning of SoA one more time. Grumble.

Olath Faern will return.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.