1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Berserker/Cleric VS Berserker/Druid

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Caradhras, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

I disagree.
    It is not "very easy" to roll 92 with a Berserker who has 9-3-3-3-3-3 as the minimum stats. "Very easy" would IMHO be rolling maybe ten times before getting what you want. To get 92 with a Berserker you're going to have to spend a *lot* more time than that.

I'd suggest these stats (89 total):
    STR 18/xx DEX 6 CON 18 INT 11 WIS 18 CHA 18
    He really needs the Gauntlets of Dexterity. In the meantime you've got a use for all those Potions of Agility. :)

2. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@Earl: I will agree with you on lower dex and higher con, but all those 18s is a bit unrealistic. How about STR 18/xx DEX 8 CON 16 INT 12 WIS 18 CHA 17. A strong, hardy warrior that is used to trudging around in plate rather than leather.

@Caradhras: I have started a new Druid character, with what I think are more realistic stats. It was a 91 roll, which is actually quite easy for Druid, and I put them like this STR 13 DEX 17 CON 15 INT 12 WIS 18 CHA 16. I only normally go with 10 in INT, but taking what you said into consideration I have gone with 12 in INT and lowered DEX and CON by a point each.

[ August 18, 2004, 23:43: Message edited by: Bard ]

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @Bard: You have a point, the PC is a child of Bhaal, but actually all Bhaalspawns are not as powerful as Sarevok (far from it)
    about DEX, I agree with what you say up to a certain point, but a low DEX would penalize any marksman...
    Which kit did you pick for your druid? (just curious)
    Low CON: I like to play a pale and ill fighter who had grown up in a stuffed library in Candlekeep and didn't go out very often. ;)

@Earl Grey: I'd rather sacrifice CON since this character with a low DEX will have a hard time as a druid (can't wear the best armours)

It's rather a matter of personal taste... I understand that you prefer a high CON (in that case 16 would be the minimum), I'd rather go with the high DEX and give the bracers to Edwin or some other clumsy NPC. Besides this character will not be able to use the gauntlets of weapon expertise...

4. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@Caradhras: Totemic Druid. I like the Avenger, but never shapechange anyway. I didn't want to play as a werewolf, so I thought I would have a change. I do like the summons and any cannon-fodder is better than none. I was very tempted to make a Berserker/Druid, but I couldn't justify the dice-roll I would want to make it practical.

Ah, but he recieved weapons training from the guards and priests there. So he would have been reasonably fit.

But seriously, go with the low CON as at least it's a handicap. You could of been munchkin about it and just made INT way lower, so I like what you've done.

It does make character more interesting this way.

5. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Edwin's CON is 16 because Conjurers are required to have that much CON. Try rolling one up yourself and you'll have a minimum of 16 CON everytime.

6. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i voted B/D for sheer power

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

B[13]/D with minimum stats of 15-3-18-12-18-18 = 84 would be more than easily possible. Just have to get the Gaultlets of Dex and Str Belts early on. He will weild two handed weapons hoping that the shield bearer takes all the hits.

8. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I like B/C but that's because I like the Cleric spells more. I'm also a big fan of Turn Undead.

9. Drathir Darthirii Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I have voted for Berserker/Druid because druids get those really useful lv7 spells later in the game. I find that Nature's Beauty and the insect spell, which I can't remember the name of, are really excellent. Clerics are good too, though, but they only have a couple of extra restoration/healing spells.

10. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I must go for B/C. One mean tank with lots of buffs and few interesting offensive spells (Sanctuary+Blade Barrier= :evil: )

11. Darkstrike Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Personally id sacrifice Dex and Int for higher wis/cha/str/con but thats just me! Im playing as a B/C right now and Im getting tempted to start over as a B/D but since I love Crom Fayr and Flail of Ages I think Ill stick with my B/C.

12. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I guess it depends on the character's role. Since both can tank like crazy with buffs and protection spells, it comes down to their secondary role. I'm a big fan of characters who can make life hell for wizards; I'd give the B/D the nod.

That's not to say that B/Cs suck - they're awesome, and are less restricted weapons-wise, have better healing and defensive magics (with the exception of Iron Skins), better summoning spells until the highest levels, and get a nifty bonus item in ToB. They are also much more effective against the undead.

On Berserkers... to be fair, I don't see them as necessarily having to be slobbering maniacs when using their berserker ability. They could just go into a battle-trance where they don't feel pain, don't think, just react and fight; I can easily see a legitimate RPing way to have that character become a druid. Legitimate within the time-frame of BG2... well, maybe that's stretching it (unless Lady J is exerting a strong influence over the character).

B/Cs make a better RPing fit - plus you get to righteously smite things!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.