1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling 115

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Splunge,
    giving testimony to the fact that I write English faaaaar more often than I speak it.

Ofelix,
    my apologies to the extent they are necessary. I am currently in one of these moods. I fully expected my 'PC Über Alles' stance to not be taken seriously; it wasn't even meant that way.

2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Nor was my comment to be taken seriously, you did notice the "cocky" mood in fabulous purple near my name, right ? For the record; I was not nor am I offended by anything you said or thought. I just don't understand the fervor some people have regarding their video game platform of choice. Surely there's validity in each point of view no ? Also on a petty-er (is that even a word ?) note why do people even care about other's choices .

I do, however, enjoy a good civilized debate. That is, arguments entrenched in logic or backed by reliable sources. On the other hand I believe someone loose all credibility when they resort to Argumentum ad hominem or other such nonsense. You know the kind of stupid arguments like

- I think all PC gamers are pretentious holier than thou type
    - Person X is a PC gamer
    - Therefore person X is a pretentious holier than thou type

Edit: what does it say about us when we've taken time in each post to assure to other party what we said wasn't meant to be offensive ? Go team Civilized ! Weeee :roll:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I second the pc über alles stance.

My dislike for consoles is big. Mostly due to the fact that games are dumbed down for consoles. Many developers make games for multiple platform, and that results in mediocre games that must be playable on all platforms.

Games have become shorter, linear, more scripted and contain hours of cut-scenes. Sometimes more than actual game play. if I want to watch a movie.....

Graphic wise gaming is at a standstill. dx11is around, but the consoles still run dx9 meaning that the graphics are toned down, stopping progress. There is no need to push the boundries forward when console dx9 good is good enough.

Saving is often an issue in console style made games. How many times I had to replay half a level before a level boss appears, or that difficult jump that require 30 tries.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Y'know... If only there was a recent topic on the subject :p

5. Ofelix

Media:
    You know what 8? I think there is, I'm pretty much in the minority here and I doubt I could convince anyone otherwise. That being said, allow me one last comment;

Since when does "complexity" equals fun or better ? Is a "complex"' game automatically more fun ? Why does some people look down unsophisticated game ? You're afraid your cool PC clique will think less of you or what ? You cannot say tetris is complex, yet no one can deny its awesomeness.

Well I hope you're please with yourself you elitist pretentious holier than thou PC-gamer-master-race, now I'm prouder than ever to own a console ! :lol:

Shall we resume our usual semi-sentient babbling about random stuff ? Let me begin

Err... I ate a grilled cheesed sandwich with some salt & vinegar chips for lunch; it was quite good. You know, the kind with extra cheese ? Awesome. I might take nap soon, my jaw/tooth is still numb from the dentist.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually, I found tetris completely boring. I didn't find it fun at all. I deny that it is awesome.

7. Ofelix

Media:
    What ? Then I move you are not a real human being. Have you oiled your joint recently, you robot? :lol: * --

* Ugh, must I put a stupid smiley face every time I'm sarcastic ? Can't we agree sarcasm is the Flix's main (perhaps even the only) method of communication ?

edit: I should've seen this comming, this is the internet we're talking about, whenever and wherever someone says something along the line "no one can say/deny/whatever x" there's inevitably going to be someone to do just the opposite. Oh well.

8. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    It is interesting that the use of smileys tends to make their lack of use denote 'serious business.' ;)

Also, I like first person shooters. Even third person shooters. (btw, what would a second person shooter be - looking at your character from a right angle?)

9. Ofelix

Media:
    Umm... a second person shooter ? Nah I think you would control your character but seeing what an ally sees. That would be... awkward at best.

Ok this numbness makes drinking and smoking cigarettes very difficult indeed. When you think about it I paid a complete stranger to drill into a tooth and fill the gaping hole with a synthetic material. 's weird no ?

Bwuh ? Data is plural ? its singular is datum? who would've thought ? Ah thank you internet for yet again giving me mostly useless knowledge.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  10. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] I've actually played a couple of second person view games. Very weird. There's a flash one on NewGrounds, can't remember it's name but you watch your character through cameras and there's a similar one on Gamers' Gate, I haven't played it myself but you have to guide someone out of rooms by drawing their attention by manipulating electronics.

Arguably platform games that have a fixed point camera can be considered second person view, tbh.

11. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    My friend had been hosting a radio show on the university / community station for three years. I had joined his show in may, but he just got a job that prevents him from doing the show. So I met with the station manager yesterday, and I will take over as host. Yay!

Since it's a community show, I have complete control over it. :)

And so far, I was able to get three friends as commentators. I can't wait for the first show on the 13th.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sounds great, good luck!

13. Ragusa

Media:
    Triactus,
    congrats.

And I have today used the effective technique of chatting and drinking coffee with colleagues and touring the office for an hour to gather a lot of information that will save me a few days of work. Soooo relaxing.

14. Triactus

Media:
    Thanks! And it's a humorous show, so it's right up my alley. :) I have already thought of I will do on the first show for my 10 min spot : a survival guide to time travel in the past.:D

15. Ofelix

Media:
    Sweet Trriactus ! Sweet ! Any chance my early 90s radio player might catch your station ? Weren't you in Ontario or something ? Y'know Montréal isn't that far away from there.

It's amazing how this old thing is still in perfect condition plus it plays cassettes too! It was my sister's before I "inherited" it... when she left the family house oh... some ten years ago ?

Sis: Hey lil' brother I'm moving out and I don't want my old radio/cassette player anymore do you want it ?
    Me: Hum, sure, why not.

Now I'm kinda happy to have since um I dunno why really. Reminds me of my sister when we were younger ?

16. Triactus

Media:
    haha, yeah, I hang on to junk too... :p

Unfortunately, the broadcast area is 100 km from Ottawa, so you won't catch it. And I'm back in Québec too, after a work imposed exhile in Ontario (sort off, hehe. I was lived in Ottawa last year and now am back in Gatineau).

17. Ofelix

Media:
    Junk ? No, no, my vintage 90s boombox isn't junk. It's a classic item from a bygone era. Hold on.

-- Actually turn on the radio --

Eesh sound quality is... hum, questionable, yeah ok it's junk.

I've been (re-re-re-re)playing a lot of Dragon Age Origin recently so....

Mage buff thyself ! wouldn't that make a cool nerdish t-shirt ? You could put an image of like, gandlaf with the caption in medieval style lettering.

Edit: Y'know, playing as a Dalish elf in DA:O I wish I could be more in your face about being a fabulous free roaming elf. Oh well at least I can still stick it to the man, both literally and figuratively.

Alistair's reaction in supporting Jowan's plan to use blood magic to save Conor in Redcliff seemed ridiculous. I mean what did you expected ? You do realise the dalish doesn't follow the Chantry's rule and they're far more tolerant about magic any magic . Hell, each individual clan is pretty much a magocracy since the keeper's a mage. Damn it Alistair, if it's prancing about the forest like an elf...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  18. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Today is September 3rd - used to be my anniversary with my now ex-gf. More importantly, tomorrow is September 4th. One year to the first 7.1 earthquake in Christchurch.

It's been an interesting year. Probably the most interesting one I've had so far.

Also, there's been quite a few strong aftershocks lately... had a few fours on Thursday, a five last night. I hope it's not building up to something big. :/

19. Ragusa

Media:
    I worked from 8:00 till 20:45, and I'm stone tired. On the plus side, I finished my assignment for Monday today, so I can have Monday and Tuesday off :D Worth it.

20. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    An old discussion. PC vs Console.

No need to go on here.

And suddenly the work was done at 7 pm. No more counting pallets full with car-parts. Surprise all around since the whole of Friday past midnight and Saturday was planned.

And I look at the weather and I see a day of sunshine ahead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.