1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Thread 120

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Happy New Year!

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Happy New Year!

4. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Happy New Year! :beer:

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Here's a rant. I am SICK of these robocall scammers, often saying they have some medicare benefit, or from "patient care services" that call early in the morning and hang up if I question them.
    What I'm just as sick of is the people who condescendingly tell me "just don't answer the call from an unknown number" as if I'm a dumb little kid and the solution is obvious.
    That is NOT a workable solution.
    My mother is dying, and I have to be available to take calls from doctors or the hospice service. They often call from a personal cell phone instead of a recognizable number, especially since she was moved to the hospice. I don't recognize most of those numbers. For that matter, at least two scammers have spoofed an 847-618 number from NorthWest Community Hospital (NWCH) (NWCH has the entire 618 prefix in the 847 area code. They have had those numbers for over 40 years back before they started rationing numbers) but hung up when I asked too many questions.
    For that matter, I've only had temp jobs since COVID, and I just finished one before Christmas. Until my mom went in the hospital the Thursday before Christmas I was actively job searching for a full time job.
    I never know when a recruiter is going to call me for a job interview, and considering how it is when you apply on a website, it will always be an unknown number.

So I'm sick of people telling me "just don't answer calls from an unknown number." I don't know if the unknown number is a robocall scammer, a recruiter looking to hire me, or the hospice telling me to get over there NOW if I want to see my mother alive again because she's going now.
    I find that bit of advice about as useful and realistic as "Just ignore the bullying and it will stop." Works about as well too.

So any other advice on dealing with these damn robocallers, one of whom thought it was a good idea to call me at 7:30am on a Saturday to try to send me some back support device that medicare will pay for, they just need some information. Oh, and I haven't been sleeping well because of the depression over losing my mom.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  6. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If any call is important enough people will leave a message. The job thing not answering might be a bad idea, so not much advice here :beer:

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sometimes putting your number (yet again...) on the do not call list will help. I've had to resubmit my number to the list a few times.

The problem comes that if you inquired about some medical item, the companies can bypass the do not call list. I have had to tell each caller to add me to their do not call list. That can take a few weeks and still may not take care of the issue.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I'm wondering if I'm starting to get too dependent on my smart phone, or leaning too much on it as a crutch.
    Today it was dark and extremely foggy around O'Hare airport. I was doing a gig job in Norridge, IL, which is on the opposite side of O'Hare from me.
    When I was driving home, I was having trouble reading the road/guide signs, so I left my phone's navigation going with Google Maps and relied on it to tell me which lanes to use to stay on I-90. I would have relied on it to tell me when to get off, but the fog ended abruptly as I was passing Elmhurst Road and thus was able to follow the signs to get off (at the next exit).

Is that being smart so I don't wind up in Rockford or go onto I-94, or is that being too dependent on the phone? Again, the fog was so thick near O'Hare that I had trouble reading the green guide signs until they were really close, and only had a second or two to read them.
    Normally I turn off my GPS as soon as I get on a major road I know like I-90, I-290 or I-355.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What's wrong with using technology to help you? The problem is when you rely on technology to the point that when IT fails you are lost.

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'll admit, sometimes Google Maps through Android Auto has been a lifesaver when I've been driving through a city with which I have no prior familiarity.

But yeah, it's still a challenge keeping your eyes on both the map and on what's in front of you.

11. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, I sort of did that for some jobs in Chicago for Huntingon Bank last spring and summer. Instead of carrying bus schedules and written directions I was completely dependent on my phone to tell me which buses or CTA trains (the El) I could take to get me from the [Metra's Ogilvie Transportation Center] train station to the site and back.
    Considering that I needed the phone to connect to a "bridge line" to perform the server upgrade, as well as send before and after photos, and to punch in and out with the timeclock app, I'd be screwed either way if my phone was OOC. Yes, I carried a charger to the site just in case.
    I'm not even sure if you can get paper maps and schedules anymore. I know you can't find road maps of the local area in gas stations anymore. I was trying to find an updated one of Mt. Prospect & Elk grove back in 2021 so I could try to figure an alternate route to avoid horrible road construction since all the roads I knew or could coax out of Google Maps were under construction, but I couldn't find one.

I swear I've spent as much time in Chicago since COVID started as my entire life before COVID with some temp jobs.
    That said, I rarely go to Chicago proper and do not really know the city that well, and I certainly don't really know the CTA system. The only part of the Metra system I know is the train line near my home, I don't know the other lines.
    My grandfather tried to teach me at one point, I vaguely recall spending an entire day back when I was around 8 with him playing tour guide as he showed me the El system with a couple of all-day passes and we rode all over Chicago, but that was over 35 years ago. I honestly don't recall using the El again from the 1980's until early-mid March of 2020 when I was sent to help prepare a building for The Shutdown (that's what a lot of people in Chicagoland like to call the "Shelter in Place" order that started in mid March 2020 and basically shut down most businesses in the State). Busses a few times, but not the El.

The point was that I neglected to bring alternatives to the technology to reduce the amount of stuff I had to carry on the streets since I already had to bring some tools and a drink. If the phone failed, I would have been screwed unless somebody could give me directions to Ogilvie.
    On the other hand, worst case scenario I could probably call a cab (I don't know how to use Uber without a working phone) and they would know where the train station was.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Strange that it didn't give you a warning. I have my phone on (connected to a screen in my car) and I'll see exits in Chicago and suburbs in advance. I also get the warning of "stay in the right two lanes to exit...." at least a quarter mile in advance. I use an iPhone but Google maps should be the same.

Perhaps it was just a poor signal at the time so you didn't get the proper warning.

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I'm not sure what you mean, I was saying that I was relying on the phone telling me exactly what you just said due to the heavy fog making it difficult to read the guide signs until they were practically directly overhead.
    So it would say "Stay in the left two lanes to remain on I-90".

14. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Playing IWD2 with the Enhanced Edition mod lately and having a blast. Thought of you guys. Glad to see this place still around like a comfy old bar.

Taluntain likes this.
  15. Beren

Media:
    Stick around when you can. You missed out on some really good discussions that took place recently about IWD2 Enhanced Edition. Btw, good to see you again too. :)

16. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Good to see you too! I was just reading our IWD2 guide for nostalgia's sake. Where can I find these great discussions?

17. Beren

Media:
  18. Sorvo

Media:
    Comfy old bar, heh :beer:
    Having lamest B-day ever :(

19. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's your birthday Sorv? Happy birthday. Mine is in a few days.

20. Sorvo

Media:
    Have a Happy one! :beer:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.