1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tori Stafford Murder Trial

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by reepnorp, May 12, 2012.

1. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

He didn't actually try to prevent it, he heard about it an hour or so after the attempt and then did it. I'm not particularly friends with this guy and so i'm not going to defend what he did, but I see a large degree of difference between something like this and other forms of unprovoked violent offense. I'm certainly not going to cry about a bunch of would-be rapists and I see no reason to be against rehabilitation strategies in crimes like this that, while are still crimes, don't automatically condemn someone to being irredeemable filthy scum. At least in my mind. Besides the statistics on how many rapists go to jail are really bad, I believe the number is out of every 100 rapes only 12 will lead to an arrest and only 9 will actually get prosecuted. For this reason I can somewhat sympathize with someone who, in an understandable fit of rage, decided to take matters into his own hands. I'm not saying it was right, but it's not worthy of absolute condemnation IMO. People like that may not be violent in everyday life and something like this could very well be an exception that deserves a more merciful approach that focuses on rehabilitation rather than punishment for the sake of revenge.

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Different degree, same neighborhood. Both are violent crimes. Personally I'd prefer that my Uncle Freddy the tax fraud lawyer served his time with Bernie Madoff rather than Carlos the Jackal. And the rapist street-justice-bringer is closer to Carlos than Bernie in terms of danger.

3. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

And shouldn't different degrees offer different punishments relative to the severity of the crime? We already do this to an extent, murder has different degrees depending on the circumstances. Obviously both are violent crimes but they do not offer the same amount of justified certainty of repeat offense. Someone who does something violent just for the heck of it can't be rehabilitated with the same chance of certainty that someone who does something in the heat of the moment after a terrible crime has already been attempted. All i'm advocating is a rehabilitative approach when there is a somewhat reasonable chance of it working. Our repeat offense rates are terrible compared to other parts of the world where more rehabilitative approaches are attempted.

4. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I thought we were just talking about where different offenders get housed, per LKD's remarks.

Seems to me that otherwise, different sentences determine the punishment. e.g. your guy will be out in a couple years, while the child rapist/murderer will be (in a perfect world) there forever. That your guy and the child rapist get stored together in the meantime is a bi-product of the fact that they're both violent criminals, as opposed to Bernie Madoff and Uncle Freddy the tax lawyer.

I think that making 'semi-serious' prisons for offenders who may-be-kinda-crazy-but-are-probably-decent-fellows-at-heart-as-long-as-they-haven't-been-drinking-and-you-don't-piss-them-off is going too far to accommodate them. By that standard we'd have hundreds of tiers of facilities, as every crime and every offender are unique. Most states and even the federal prison system don't have the resources for that.

btw, apologies - I realize this is a Canada thread and not a US thread.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Oh, that's why he went to prison. It was after the fact. At the time he did it, his girlfriend wasn't in danger of being raped. If he had been there when the initial attempt was made, he could have probably beat the crap out of them and not even been charged. It's totally different when your gf is no longer in immediate danger, and you go to where the guys were with the premeditated purpose of beating the hell out of them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.