1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weregator vs werecroc

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Eyebreaker7, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm looking for help in coming up with a 3.5 weregator. I've started with the werecrocodile in the Monsters of Faerun page 92. One problem that immediately jumps out is they have no hybrid form? Just humanoid and animal forms.
    The werecroc has Str +16, Dex +2, Con +8, Int +2, Wis +2
    What sort of changes should I make for my weregator? I can use the basic croc write up for the gator part. I just need to figure what to change. I don't know anything about crocs or gators so I would LOVE any impute you all would like to provide.

CROCODILE
    Size/Type: Medium Animal
    Hit Dice: 3d8+9 (22 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+6
    Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+6) or tail slap +6 melee (1d12+6)
    Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+6) or tail slap +6 melee (1d12+6)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Improved grab
    Special Qualities: Hold breath, low-light vision
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 19, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
    Skills: Hide +7*, Listen +4, Spot +4, Swim +12
    Feats: Alertness, Skill Focus (Hide)
    Environment: Warm marshes
    Organization: Solitary or colony (6–11)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 4–5 HD (Medium)
    Level Adjustment:

Crocodiles are aggressive predators 11 to 12 feet long. They lie mostly submerged in rivers or marshes, with only their eyes and nostrils showing, waiting for prey to come within reach.

COMBAT
    Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a crocodile must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, the crocodile establishes a hold on the opponent with its mouth and drags it into deep water, attempting to pin it to the bottom.

Hold Breath (Ex): A crocodile can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 x its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Skills: A crocodile has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

*A crocodile gains a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks when in the water. Further, a crocodile can lie in the water with only its eyes and nostrils showing, gaining a +10 cover bonus on Hide checks.

WERECROCODILE
    Size/Type:
    Medium Animal
    Hit Dice: 7d8+7 (38 hp)
    Initiative: +1 (Dex) as crocodile
    Speed: 30 ft.; 20 ft., swim 30 ft. as crocodile
    Armor Class: 10; 18 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +9 natural) as crocodile,; touch ??, flat-footed ??
    Base Attack/Grapple: +?/+?
    Attack: Bite +11 melee (2d8+12) or tail slap +11 melee (1d12+4)
    Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d8+12) or tail slap +11 melee (1d12+4)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.; 5ft. by 20 ft. / 10 ft. as crocodile
    Special Attacks: Crocodile empathy; plus grab, curse of lycanthropy as crocodile
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/silver as crocodile
    Saves: Fort +11, Ref +6, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 27, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 10
    Skills: Hide +0*, Listen +9, Spot +9 as crocodile
    Feats: Blind-Fight, Power Attack as crocodile
    Environment: Warm marshes
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral evil
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment:

This is the info I have found for the werecroc so far. I would greatly appreciate it if someone(s) could offer input as to how to change what for a weregator. The alignment for the werecroc says always neutral evil but I'd like the weregator to be non-evil. Even if it's just true neutral. Besides, we all know evil races sometimes have rogue members that are not evil. At least that's what Drizzt told me the other day when we last talked.
    I'm in need of a write-up for all 3 forms, alligator, hunanoid, and hybrid. Actually I can skip the humanoid part because he's a Lizard folk bitten by a weregator. It happend a couple months back and he's been struggling since.

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    First, I have no clue about crocodiles or alligators in the context of D&D.

Alligators are just a subspecies of crocodilia, of which crocodiles and caiman are also subspecies. The american alligator is pretty large, but there are larger species of crocodiles. Also, males are usually significantly larger than the females.

So, if you're feeling creative, you can change the stats here and there for a weregator. But it's probably better to let you creativity guide you, because actual differences between either species are perhaps not that significant. I'd suggest that a difference based on if your character is male or female could make more sense, perhaps.

I see no reason why any animal would be evil, rather they'd kind of by default be true neutral. I guess the were-variant could be evil, but there is no reason not to let your character struggle with the animalistic side and try to be good as best he can. Alignment is more of a guideline, anyway.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.