1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What class is Imoen?

Discussion in 'BG:EE - Siege of Dragonspear' started by Sorvo, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Is she still a thief, in the midst of dual, or has she leaped into T/M? I don't like how they have her as a guide like how BGII starts. At least there she was actually in your party! :beer:

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It implies that she's in the process of retraining to become a mage.
    Unlike in the CRPGs where the class change is immediate, in 2nd edition P&P to dual class you need to find/hire a trainer/teacher and spend several weeks learning the basics of your new class. I believe it varies by class, but it's been 25 years since I played and we house ruled a lot of things because we thought the "cannot use the abilities of their old class until their level in the new class surpasses the old" was stupid. You don't get worse at swinging a sword because you started learning magic, thievery, or joined the clergy, then suddenly can use the sword again after gaining a certain amount of proficiency in magic, thievery, or your religious studies (in P&P weapon restrictions depended on the deity, the blunt weapon restrictions was just the default. Clerics of Tempus could use axes and clerics of Helm could use swords).
    So I can't tell you the rules because I can't recall what's official and what was a house rule for my group, I just know that in the original rules you had to spend time training, and Imoen implies she's in the middle of that period.
    Which is also why she isn't helping you directly, she's inactivated her thief levels and is still learning to cast 1st level mage spells safely and reliably. She's probably learning the Cantrip spell (a first level spell in 2nd edition).
    At best she's dualed and is a 1st level mage.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  3. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm well aware of the P&P version but thanks for the explanation. I didn't start yet because I'm still finishing up BG. I'll go with your theory is correct and not dual her(saves a lot of hassle). Thanx again Slickster :beer:

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    As long as you take another thief along, you could dual her. I always wait as long as possible before dualing Imoen such that she maxes out her mage level when regaining her thief skills.
    Then again, I've never had an issue hitting the level cap for BG1. Heck, I never had an issue hitting the level cap for BG2:SoA while still in the SoA portion of the game.

5. Sorvo

Media:
    I'm running an original party thru for nostalgia, so I'm just gonna keep her a thief. I might even drop her off at the FAI and pick up Safana. I ran a few minutes and see that Imoen is in training so no real use anyway. :beer:

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I'm not clear, are you playing BG1/ToTSC and planning for SoD, or are you playing SoD? I thought it was the former, which is why I mentioned you could dual her anyways. However SoD implies she dual-classes after defeating Saravok and is in fact actually in the process of doing so with training time according to P&P rules, instead of the instant class changes used in the game.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It doesn't matter what you do with her in the base game. The expansion is gonna have her as a T/M dual in-training since that's what she ultimately is in BG2. And she won't be in your party anyway.

8. Sorvo

Media:
    I understand this, I'm just trying to ride the wave :beer:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.