1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

characters will not resurrect

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Moongypsy, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Moongypsy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have lost Jaheria and Tashia b/c they will not resurrect. Both times I had entered a new area in which the character died during a battle. The mods I have are 'ease of use', dungeon be gone, Sola, Kelsey, Tashia, Valen, and happy patch. I have the ToB installed but am playing SoA. Also when I tried to resurrect Tashia with Viconia in the party she suddenly turned yellow. Is there a cure for this? Thanks.

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've never played Tashia but I'm assuming she's an elf? If so, you can't resurrect them with the normal spell as elves have no soul. You need to find a temple and pay for the more expensive version of resurrection there.

3. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    That's weird.
    First because I've resurrected Viconia and Aerie a dozen times normally, and second because Elves really don't have souls? :confused:
    All their years really don't amount to much in the end, then...

4. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Elves do have souls, or why would irenicus need one in the beginning? :rolleyes:

remember hat the seldarine took his soul. i bet the guy who said elves dont have souls got confused by this, because elves do have souls.

my guess is that the guy have messed around with some item that drains his stats until his characters died. if this happened there is no way of ressurecting the character.

but i might be wrong though.

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The rod of terror comes to mind.

No character can be ressurrected with any score at 0.

6. david w Gems: 19/31

Strictly speaking, Irenicus isn't an elf because the Seldarine stripped his elfhood (for want of a better word) from him when they took his soul.

Ignore what I said about about the soul bit. I must have been thinking of something else.

But if that's the case, why are there two different resurrection spells in temples? If everyone can be resurrected with the cheaper spell, why is there a more expensive version?

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Maybe because they do the same thing as the two different cleric spells for resurecting? IIRC, there is Raise Dead, which is level 5, which brings the character back to life with 1 hit point. Then there is resurection, which is a level 7 spell, which brings them back to life and gives them full hit points.

8. david w Gems: 19/31

Ah, maybe. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I paid for the more expensive version. And whenever I have Jaheira in my party, she's usually the only one with resurrection spells so if she dies, I just reload from my previous save as carting her dead body to a temple is way too much hassle.

9. Moongypsy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanx for the help to my resurrection problem, it was the rod of terror, I guess I should read the fine print on the negative effects of items.

10. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

With the two different spells the differance is that Raise Dead only gives the person one hit point, Ressurect completly heals them.

11. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Correct me if I'm wrong, which may likely be. I have a clear memory (but memory is never trustworthy) that an elf can't be resurrected with Raise Dead. An elf needs to have Resurrection. I remember being quite annoyed about that, because I had Raise Dead and couln't afford Resurrection. But then, either a patch or TOB changed that, and Raise Dead works with Elves too. So, could anyone confirm that ? It didn't work on elves at the beginning until it was changed either through the expansion or a patch ?

12. david w Gems: 19/31

That's kind of what I was thinking, although I just checked in my latest game and Aerie and Viconia can be resurrected with the normal cheap spell.

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

It worked on elves in BGII:SoA unpatched without ToB. No patch changed this.

Raise Dead is not supposed to work on elves. This was never implemented in any version of the game, however.

14. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Hm, so it's true that Raise Dead shouldn't wake elves from the dead. Maybe I've read that. Then one of my elves died. I thought, ooops, can't use Raise Dead. Can't afford/don't have Resurrection or in spellhold, no clue where the nearest temple is...Dam I have to reload.... But actually, that rule was never implemented.... :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

15. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Just buy the Rods of Ressurection from Ribald. Or steal them from the Wizard that has Haer kidnapped.

16. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I noticed that, and I thought the whole resurrection thing was a bit odd. I played the Icewind Dale games before I ever got to try the Baldur's Gate games, and I was always a bit puzzled at why in BG2 and TOB you could raise elven characters with the simpler "Raise Dead" spell.

17. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Pardon my ignorance, and maybe I missed it, but why wouldn't you be able to use a Raise Dead spell on elves? And would/could/does this apply to half elves?

18. david w Gems: 19/31

I seem to think Raise Dead doesn't work on elves in Icewind Dale, which is one of the reasons that I never take any elves with me. I always assumed the same applied to the BG games.

19. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@Jaguar: I seem to recal something in the manual saying that they have different physiologies, and the Raise Dead scroll wont (or shouldn't in BG) work on elves. THey got it right for IWD, but they must have just missed it for SOA and TOB games.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.