1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3.5 Edition Ranger

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by T2Bruno, Jan 4, 2010.

1. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I been playing with Grey Wolf's 3.5 Edition Ranger which makes the following changes to the ranger:

1. A d8 is used for hit die.
    2. Skill points are 6 + Intelligence Modifier.
    3. Combat Style feat at second level (either Two Weapon Fighting/Ambidexterity for the default 2da or Point Blank Shot for the archery 2da).
    4. Advanced Combat Style feat at sixth level (either Improved Two Weapon Fighting or Rapid Shot).
    5. Evasion at 9th level.
    6. Hide in Plain Sight at 17th level.
    7. Discipline as a class skill.​

The ranged combat option is a good enhancement for those wanting an arcane archer, but I chose the melee oriented option. Not listed above is that the 3.5 edition ranger has both fortitude and reflex as primary saving throws and the 3.5 edition ranger does not have medium armor proficiency.

Playing through the OC was a breeze (... but isn't that always the case ...)and I actually found the henchmen to be a liability in nearly every situation. I often left chests and traps only to drag Tomi to the location, but once he did his duty I released him again.

Waiting until 2nd level to gain dual wield was not an inconvience -- using only light armor a ranger needs a shield at 1st level to stay alive. I did not significantly dual wield until 6th level -- by that time my ranger (Dargon Cain) had several good weapons to use including the Uthgardt Ceremonial Blade (which was a staple for early in the game).

Favored enemy was great. By the end of the game I was doing +4 damage to humans, undead, constructs, and giants. I chose humans due to the sheer number of human enemies in the OC, but I'm considering going into HotU with this character and would recommend not taking it (probably taking outsider or aberration for the 4th selection). Obviously, for those who like PvP human, elf, gnome, dwarf, half-elf and half-orc would be the choices. Favored enemy gives an intial +1 plus an additional +1 for every five levels of ranger (+5 at 20th level) -- add Bane of Enemies (+2 to hit, +2d6 damage against favored enemy) to that and you have some serious damage capability.

Many guides recommend choosing dragons as a favored enemy -- while tempting it is not necessary for the 3.5 edition ranger. Once the ranger hit 9th level the evasion feat makes the dragon breath attack useless. Dargon killed all the dragons in the game solo without reloads for any dragon battle (I rarely use potions, but did resort to endurance, bull's strength, aid, and barkskin for the dragons -- I did need one heal potion during the corrupted dragons fight).

I made Dargon Cain to be a stealthy ranger; maxing on discipline, hide-in-shadows and move silently. This allowed the ranger to have first strike in nearly every battle and choose where to begin any particular battle -- waltzing past warriors to begin the battle by attacking a mage or cleric became a standard tactic. The initial strike capability of the stealthy ranger made fewer hit points (d8 vice d10) inconsequential. With six skill points (+ int mod) I was able to focus on many skills and make a very well rounded character (heal and lore were secondary skills; while animal empathy, search, spot, listen, and set traps were not far behind).

Feats were chosen to make the character versatile in battle: exotic weapons, dodge, mobility, spring attack, power attack, cleave, toughness and blind fighting. The combination of power attack and evasion made Tomi obsolete. Dargon could open anything with power attack and evasion made most traps harmless. Dargon used the best weapons available for any particular combat; hence, weapon focus was not taken.

I got Hide in Plain Sight during the final battles in the source stone and I never tried it (it's only supposed to work outdoors for the 3.5 ed. ranger). I need to try Hide in Plain Sight in dungeon environments along with seeing if dual wielding works with medium armor -- they're not supposed to work, but the description above leads me to believe they will. The downside of the heavier armors is the negative impact they would have on the reflex save (which is key to evasion).

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hide in Plain Sight works everywhere. They did code dual wielding correct and there is a penalty for using medium or heavy armor. Favored Enemy can be taken at the epic ranger bonus feats (23rd and every three levels thereafter, plus every fifth level). There's not many good ones to choose from so gaining +2 to hit and 2d6 damage (bane of enemies) plus favored enemy damage (currently +6) to entire classes of enemies is good choice. I would like to have seen improved evasion as an epic feat choice -- although it's probably not necessary, I rarely take damage on anything requiring a reflex save.

With outsiders, constructs, undead, and aberations as some of my favored enemies Dargon Cain is a killing machine in the underdark. Even with a lower armor class, the 3.5 ed ranger is a better killer than my weapon master was -- and I haven't even gotten any good weapon upgrades yet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.