1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A demon race...!?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Oct 9, 2004.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Kinda like the Gate spell in BG II - protect yourself, cast and get the hell out of there :)

By the way, a demon NPC has been present in one of the RPGs I respect the most, but it would be quite cheap for her to make a cameo in BG III. Although I guess Planescape: Torment takes place before BG II (as you could buy some of the equipment), it's going to be like "Batman meets Spiderman", which IMO is kinda cheap.
    A possible demon NPC might be one with a very strong desire to kill, maim and to all the other nice things to a specific person. I'm not sure in my mythology, but the Erynnies (hope that's how they are spelled) were like that in Greek legends, so I guess it won't be out of character for one to aid you in killing a high-level mage that's been messing in the Blood war, for example. Then it/she disappears with something like "So long, mortal. Hope we never meet again." The only problem for all the demon-lovers here is that I think the erynnies were actually aligned with the Baatezu (devils) and not the Tanar'ri (demons) - but let's not be so picky, ok?
    Aside from that, there are always the imp familiars, if you can't walk around without a little (but big-mouthed) servant from the Abyss :)

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Stop from ripping one's head off? Yes. You don't have to be a mage to stop that either. As long as the summoning circle has no flaws then the creature will be bound and will not be able to harm its summoner.

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yeah, but doesn't finding the name, creating the binding circle and getting the summoning incantation right mean that you are a more-than-decent mage?

4. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yeah, thats what I meant. Sorry for not being more clear. I mean, my level 2 fighter MIGHT take down a level 50 Tanarri IF they both had really weird rolls, but...

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Not necessarily imo but probably. A thief or a warrior could do the summoning after "acquiring" all the aforementioned info and materials.

6. WiZinc Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

That would be awesome. Summoning an imp or other such things and torturing, blackmailing(for another true name for example),
    summoning two and making them fight each other and rewarding winner with anything you got
    and I mean anything (everything), gold, jewels, flesh, releasing them, humans, _anything_, setting them loose in the city...
    Oh... my... god... That would be fantastic.

7. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

calm Wiz, calm

8. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Leave him to his insanity. Me too.
    /chuckles insanely

9. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Maybe this isnt not such a good idea, sanity is running thin nowa-days... mwahahaHAHAAAGGGHHhhhhh...

If you could get a demon as an NPC, how would you get around it being uber level and uncontrolable and just killing everything (including your PC) in sight? Travel to another dimension in a major sub quest to take control of a spawn of a demon? Maybe do a deal with pure evil in the realms of the living to be given the power of a demon ally...?

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

i think the "subquest: find all the crap to summon a demon and be able to summon and bind him for a command" could be worked out much better.

11. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Why does everyone seem to think that all a demon would be interested in killing everything in sight? yes they are evil and bloodthirsty, but most of them are intelligent. And, if they're intelligent, they can decide if it's in their best interests to go on a rampage or not. I could easily imagine a situation where a demon would supress his desire for bloodshed in order to carry out some mission or something. Besides, this is a crpg. He'll get to kill almost everthing you meet anyway.

12. Neimad Snave the Dark Bladed Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

A demon race is probaly one of the best ideas i heard for a long time though unless you start the game on a high level of xp it would be worthless wouldn't it?

13. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Much better simply to have him bound to a gem on black sword. May as well call him Noidacra.

Seriously, though, summoning a demon is an interesting idea, if it's done in an interesting, intelligent way. The further away from pure hack and slash the game is, the more interesting it'll be, IMO.

edit: how many times can you inadvertently fit the word 'interesting' into a sentence?

[ October 24, 2004, 00:18: Message edited by: Midwinter ]

14. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think some of you might not be getting what, exactly, I started this post about. I was referring to MEETING, a demon and having him bound to your control "something like Sarevok in TOB" as I said, as opposed to simply summoning one.

15. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Kind of like the Valen mod in Baldur's Gate II - you get a (fairly) loyal retainer who has a penchant for violence and an appetite for destruction and blood. Still, she'll do what you tell her... most of the time... and if she can get ahead, she will.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Kovalis Darkfire

I had similar thoughts (see my last post). It would probably be workable to have it as a sidequest. Maybe a la Kangaxx the Lich, but instead of vanquishing him, bringing all the required items (incantation, brazier, demon's name, etc.) together would result in a binding with a clause that you could command him to do one thing and then he'd return to whichever hell he came from.

17. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Actually similar to the demon in IWD HOW, where if you use that one planar divination spell (Can't remember the name), you can learn his true name and force him to be bound in a suit of armor that you can safely wear. That was cool armor.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Yeah, that was actually what was in my head too hehe :D

19. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

@Enagonios

Hey ya man, i think a side quest in which you meet the beast would work great. Perhaps you could do a quest for a powerful sorcerer and then the sorcerer could bind the demon to your will, or some such thing...

20. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think the demon-summoning thing would work well within a different major plot. For example, you need to summon a demon to either find a way to weaken something powerful or get information, or to fight an enemy too potent for the group to combat. Obviously your motivation would change based on alignment; a good character would most likely want to banish the critter as soon as possible, whereas an evil character would see the benefit of having a pet tanar'ri or baatezu. Just so long as it wasn't munchkin-ism, I think it'd be a nice touch.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.