1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A necessary evil

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Triactus, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I was watching the movie Kingdom of heaven, you know this historically "accurate" movie, this week-end and the movie's Balian character got me thinking. I will put all concerning the movie as a spoiler in case someone who hasn't seen it wants to watch it.

The story takes place in the christian kingdom of Jerusalem. The king has been able to broker a peace with the muslim leader Saladin, whose forces vastly outnumber his. But all is not well in the kingdom. Two christian templars leaders, Guy and Raynald, continue to harrass the muslim forces to ignite a war. Worse, the king is about to die from a disease and his sister (his heir since he doesn't have children or brothers) in married to Guy, one of the Templars. Once Guy takes over the throne, the king is sure he will go to war with Saladin, destroy his kingdom and carry thousands to thier deaths.

So you have this guy Balian, a baron who believes in honour and will be a perfect knight to God to attone for his sins. Great. The king hatches a plot. They get an audience with Balian and the king ask him "if we were to arrest Guy as a criminal and execute him, would you marry my sister, inherit the throne and keep the peace with Saladin?"

Balian's answer : "no, I cannot. That would make me appart of an evil act (the execution of a man). My conscience is worth more."

So, the king dies from disease, Guy takes over........goes to war with Saladin, the Jerusalem kingdom is destroyed and thousands die.

Was Balian's decision just? Does the evil of killing one man to avert disaster count as a "necessary" evil?

Is there such a thing as a "necessary" evil, or is it lazyness in not finding a perfect solution?

And what is responsibility? If you know someone will commit a crime and you let him go, knowing he will commit a crime, does that make you appart of the blame as well, or is it squarely on the shoulders of the person actually doing the crime?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Was the sister ugly?

3. Triactus

Media:
    I thought she was pretty enough. Which is all the more stupid considering
    Balian slept with her while she was married to Guy. So the high and mighty guy commited adultery. And they were both in love with each other...

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] There were several reasons I stopped watching this and turned back to gaming whilst it was on TV.

"Necessary Evil" is a ridiculous term in and of itself. It's simply a way of demonizing something you don't like whilst accepting it's something you have to do. It's excusing an unpleasantry on an external concept to nullify responsibility for your own actions at worst - at best a hideous exaggeration :p

Balian was selfish to his own cherry-picking of morality, he was not a just man as he had no code of honour that he followed faithfully and instead of admitting he was more concerned about his own skin dressed it up as some religious decision. A simple waste.

As to responsibility, people are responsible for their own actions. I can persuade and bend others views to be more akin to mine if it is necessary, but I cannot begrudge them for having their own views and opinions. If a persons actions are a threat to me or my aims then it is my responsibility to intervene for myself. If a persons honour dictates they intervene for the benefit of another then that is also their duty.

If I do not give money to a man who then goes on to steal from another that makes me no more of an accomplice than refusing to detain someone for fear they will do similar.

5. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Sometimes there are no good solutions to problems, let alone perfect ones. It's a human misconception that things can always be fixed, and that there always has to be a reason for everything.

6. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, he was an idiot, to turn Eva Green down!? ;)
    That woman has eyes deeper than the ocean! #drool#

But the thing is, it wasn't just about Guy's execution, but all who were loyal to him.

7. Triactus

Media:
    @ Gaear : While what you say is sometimes true, some solutions are better than others. There are often a win-win solution that pops up, without warning. The question is often "Should I choose now or wait until a better avenue opens up?

@ Darion : They did mention though that they would execute all of Guy's followers who would not bend the knee to the king. Given that you can view Guy's actions as treason to the king and morally unjust, people who won't bend the knee to the king would be considered criminals legally and morally to the same extent as Guy.

8. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Both. Because, no matter how you look at it, not everyone can come up with a "perfect" solution to a particular problem.

You mean what is the scope of responsibility? If it's not stated explicitly (like if you're in a government position or something) then imo it's up for you to decide. You can choose to hold yourself partly responsible for someone else's crime, if that's what you want. There are no rules when it comes to these things. Like I'm a selfish being, so I probably wouldn't blame myself if it was just some stranger. It also depends on the crime.

The movie wasn't too bad. Wouldn't watch it more than once though.

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Dude, it's just a broken dichotomy.

:D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.