1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Another Sample of the flavor of ALFA

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Sir Belisarius, May 16, 2003.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, as long as you can beat the beastmen outside, it's easy to light the way by yourself. Just have a few oil flasks on you to do the lighting, and don't open any doors.

I saw you on yesterday, but I don't think I ever ran across you...

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] This is a long one...The end of a quest that began 3 weeks ago (IRL), or 3 months ago (In Game Time). It is the Darksteel quest for those familiar with the story. For those that aren't, you'll get the general idea from my story...Enjoy!

***Sir Falin and the Return of the Ironstar Clan***

Rejoice! All good folk of Daggerdale! Not all is dark in the land! A great evil has been put down, and a strong ally has been gained!

Rem put down his mug of ale with a clang as the patrons of the Broken Dagger looked at him with wonder. The rotund hin sat back in his chair thoroughly pleased with himself as he thought of the events from the past few months.

"Aye, I saw most of the assault on the mines..." Rem said with a grin. "Many good folk from Dagger Falls assisted in the effort, and quite a few did not return. Indeed, none would have returned had it not been for the efforts of Falin Ironaxe, the stout D'Tarig dwarf, and local hero Kerrick Mac'Larian."

"It took three full assaults by brave adventurers from Daggerdale to finally throw down the the evil Duergar." Rem waved his hand dismissively. "No, no, good folk. I'll not tell the blow by blow story of each foray into the mines! Suffice to say, all manner of horrors faced the companions as the crept deeper into the mines; closer to the goal and the secret: Darksteel."

Rem took another draught of his ale as he continued. "The Duergar were unyielding in their defense of the mines. They fought fiercely, giving no quarter, and asking for none. The skillful gray dwarf mages, clerics and warriors drove at the party at every turn. And each time, Kerrick and Falin, at the forefront of the attack, turned the duergar back. Oh yes, there were others, Ruben, Drago, Ariana, and I, brave hin with the love of adventure, helped in the assault. Either scouting ahead of the group, or supporting the brave warriors in front of us with volleys of arrows and bolts aimed at the evil dwarves."

"Healers, priests and druids braved the depths to oust the gray dwarves from the mines to find the secret of Darksteel." The brave Jastra, who fell before the quest could be completed, Otiben; the forester, Yuki, the fair priestess, and even some of the Wind Walker company helped to cleanse the mines. All uniting to defeat the denizens of the mines: Duergar, Hook Horrors, and Umber Hulks. Even a goblin named Kardakel formed an unsteady truth with Falin to gain the ultimate prize!" Rem grinned as the shock of the goblin ally sunk into the collective crowd.

"Tis true, fellows! Strange allies, in strange times. But all would have been for not, had the companions not had this assistance. ((Others, feel free to add to the story here...I missed the part where Kardakel helped the party - I'd like to hear it myself)) But in the end, All fell before the determined assault of the Daggerdale adventurers, and the mines were finally won! The glowchamber; the source of the secret of Darksteel was back in dwarven hands! The promise of the riches of darksteel were close to being realized."

"The remaining companions gethered as Mark Tourbadour entered the mines for the first time in ages. As he walked through the mines, I could see that he knew his way, that the knowledge of memories almost forgotten. As he came to the door to the glowchamber, he stopped and admired the workmanship and magical runes on the door. Tears welled in him as he turned to the group. As he spoke, the party was shocked again, as Mark told his tale."

"This is a great day, my friends...For the King has Returned!" Mark exclaimed to the wonder of the group. "I am Markis Ironstar, king in exile of the Ironstar Clan, and today, I come home. What we have lost has been reclaimed, the secret and power of Darksteel has been found, and the Ironstar Clan is reborn!" Rem waited for the magnitude of this to sink into his audience.

"Mark spoke to the ancient dwarven guardian defending the glowchamber entrance and proclaimed himself the rightful heir to the Ironstar Clan. He bade the guardian take his eternal rest and led the party to the glowchamber, and opened the long closed doors of the great forge."

"The chamber was immense! Ancient dwarven runes and their fabeled craftmanship showed throughout the chamber. The heat beating against the companions' faces as they followed Mark into the glowchamber. Surrounded by molten lava, the forge and anvil, the centerpiece of the great forge."

"Mark pounded his hand on the anvil and roared with glee: I am home!" His eyes sparkled as he imagined the glory to come. Then, he turned to the party. Proclaiming himself King of the Ironstar Clan, he made his first proclamation." Rem paused for another drink.

"Falin, step forward and take a knee." Mark said in a commanding tone. This day could not have happened without your help, and the help of those you brought on this quest. For your efforts, I give you the Ironstar Mace to continue the fight in my stead, since I will be remaining here. You will be my first knight of the Ironstar Clan, for your bravery and honor has restored my throne.

Falin took the mace and rose to his feet. Knight and guardian of the Ironstar Clan, his eyes misty ((it's true, I swear they were!!)) as he held the mace proudly in his hand. Mark went to each companion next, beginning with the first among them, Kerrick. He presented each companion with a medallion, proclaiming them dwarf-friend and honored guest of the dwarves; the highest honor any non-dwarf can receive!

"You have my eternal thanks, my friends. I am deeply in your debt. I have much work to do, to get the mines and forges going again. But if you ever need me, you can find me here. I'll not leave these chambers again. Fear not for me, for I am happy with this." Mark said as he bid us farewell.

Rem sat back in his chair, feeling fully satisfied with his tale, and the story of the regaining of the secret of Darksteel. Yet one sceptical human looked at him with contempt. "How do you know all this hin?!? I think it's just a lie, told by a drunken halfling, and no of this has happened! What do you think of that, little one?" the tall man said as he towered over Rem Stoneybrook.

Rem's smiled widened even more, and he winked at the surly human. as he did so, his hand reached for something on a chain under his shirt. The human tensed until he saw the glint of a golden medallion emblazoned with the mark of the Ironstar Clan. "Because I was there...I was there" Rem smiled as he caressed the medallion thoughtfully.

~Rem Stoneybrook

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well written Bel!

heh, want to write my ALFA application if my first one gets turned down? ;)

4. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Sure, but as a lawyer, I charge $200/hour for my services ;) Gotta pay for thos lap dances, you know! :lol:

5. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Good luck with the bar exams Sir Bel, although with 18 Int they should be a cinch! Hope to see you back in Alfa soon.

6. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks Erran...I'll still be around (I am addicted) I just need to limit my playing to just a few hours on the weekends.

Are you playing on a server now? Or working on Phlan? I've been to Arabel with my character, but I usually stick close to Dagger Dale.

Rem is knocking on the door of 4th level...A fair feat for ALFA!

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I just got re-accepted into ALFA! Give me time to reinstall the game, read the rules, and I'll be online any day!!!

:good:

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

GREAT

Anothe SP-er on ALFA...

Post your character onto "How many ALFAns are there?" on this board so we'll know who are you in-game.

Congratulations :grin:

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] A taste of my second night on ALFA ...

Altga was weary as she unrolled her bedroll near the campfire. She had run and walked the lengths of Daggerdale, from the edge of the Lonely Voices, to the bridges far down the road.

As she was walking into the pub, she met a gentleman who proceeded to tell of a bandit hunt and a rather large purple worm on the loose. Intrigued, Altga met him by the River Gate to find out more.

There she met a group of powerful adventurers. The mighty cleric Kira, the bow-wielding Tania, the mystic Gaedylln (sp?), the foreign Katarna, and the undisciplined Brillian. Banding together, they journeyed out into the night, seeking the bandit in black.

Katanga took the lead, sulking from hill to tree, scouting for danger. It was a slow process, but not a drop of blood was lost due to her diligence.

After hours of creeping in the woods, we came to the bridge where the bandit was said to ambush travelers. Staying well back, we all drew bows, and at Kara's command, let loose.

Many shafts pierced that bandit's breast, but Tania's was the killing blow. I snuck forward to examine the body and see if more associates lurked about. The coast was clear, and the party began to go their separate ways. I had offered Tania the loot, as she dealt the final blow, but she seemed uninterested, so Kira and I sold and split the cash.

Soon after I was contracted to help rid a Berrypatch of a thief ... a large, rabid bear of a thief! Sneaking to the top of a hill in the middle of the berrypatch, I saw the bear standing over the corpse of a half-orc. A shiver ran through my spine, I had met a kind half-orc druid in the market just before this.

Keeping my perch on high ground, I notched an arrow and fire. The enrage beast shrugged the wound off, but could not seem to find me. I continued to seek cover while peppering arrows down on him. I hit 4 out of 4 arrows, and with a great roar, the beast fell.

Rushing down the hill, I found that the corpse was, indeed, the body of my friend Grumsh the Druid (droooid as he says). I gathered his belonging, but could not bear his enormous corpse back to town. Kneeling next to him in prayer, I sprinkled dirt on him, and left him to become one with nature.

As I returned to the Freedom Fighters headquarters to close my contract, I had a most unusual encounter ...

(formal post on the next encounter)

Altga walked over to the campfire by the River Gate, and stood in silence as the others bantered around her. Waiting for a break in the conversation, she hesitantly began to speak.

"I just encountered a drow in the heart of Daggerdale." That seemed to get their attention.

"I was walking into the Freedom Fighter's headquarters, when I noticed a man dressed in black entering the keep. He had taken his helm off, and to my horror I saw that he was a drow."

"Valor ruled over my common sense, and I followed him into the keep. Seeing he had no weapon in hand, I drew my two rapiers and demanded to know what business, foolishness or trickery brought him to our city. There is talk of the evil beasts invading ... had I encountered a scout?"

"He calmly turned to face me, his hands staying well away from his weapons. The door was opening and a large half-orc druid began to stomp in. He whispered, "If your curious and want more information on the drow invasion, meet me at the Red Rock." With that he brushed passed the large druid, into the night."

"I stood bewildered. The druid offered to help, but I thought coming armed with a party might trigger a bigger trap. It would be easier for me to sulk in, detect an ambush, and flee if I was alone."

"The Red Rock are was heavily patrolled by Freedom Fighters. Keeping my steel in hand, I circled the drow, looking for others of his ilk. Satisfied, I approached him. "Don't mind the steel, but I'm the cautious type. You had information on the invasion?"

"We continued the conversation in the inn. Alone at the bar, he took off his helm and I stared across the table into a set of red eyes right out of the stories that brought me home before curfew as a child."

"He tried to be pleasant, which caught me a bit off guard. There was little of the drow arrogance I've heard so much about. After a few long pulls off my wine flask, I asked him to begin his tale."

"To know of the invasion, you have to know the whole cast. There are four main groups. First, the citizens of Daggerdale. You know them well."

"Secondly," I countered, "The hordes of the underdark ... with whom I am drinking."

The drow chuckled. "Actually, we are not united in this. The main group, faithful to Loth (I had to spit and make a sign to protect from evil at that cursed name) has no wish to conquer your lands. We find it hot, infested with bugs, and plagued by a sun that seeks to turn us into ash."

"There is, however, a group who worships Vhaerun, Loth's twisted offspring. This group of renegades is banding together and seeks to conquer both the land above the crust of the earth and the land below.

"These renegades are headquartered in the northern city of Cormanthor, near the ruins of Myth Drannor in the Great Forest.

Recently, they have begun to steal from the followers of Loth, and are planning to destroy a surface-trading post that the Loth-drow have establish.

The core of these renegades is called "The Sons". This group seems to be the hand that aims the bow, and is beginning to seek targets in Daggerdale.

To make matters worse for us, according to this drow, the Sons have formed an alliance with the Zhents. Both parties wish the destruction of Daggerdale for their own fell reasons, the enemy of my enemy ...

Altga's voice trailed off. "I don't know if I was duped. I have no powers to detect lies, just my gut. But my gut said to trust him. The Loth-ites sent him to seek out the Sons' headquarters. It may be in the sewers, or deep in Zhent territory. From what he says, once this stronghold is established, he will bring from the underdark the most powerful magics Farun has seen to equip us, aiding us in the destruction of the Sons."

"This seems far too self-less of the drow, but then he reminded me that these worshippers of Vhaerun are stealing for the drow, and the saying is that the drow always do what's right ... for the drow. The need help to pull this thorn from their own side, a thorn that threatens us as well."

"I have no way of contacting him directly, his race keeps him hiding. However, he has also told his tale to Ariel Sunstream, and Varc'cirn the Ranger. If you see them, they can collaborate.

It wasn't until I was leaving his company that I thought to ask his name. It is Taj'mirri Tlabbar, Third Son of the Third House of Mezzoborum (sp?)j

I don't know where you stand on this, but I say, what harm is it to seek this drow stronghold. Destroying it, and any drow-harboring Zhents, will only benefit Daggerdale.

As for me, I will lend my bow to this quest, and seek to destroy the Sons.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    *snort* Not such an easy task to destroy a Drow stronghold. I think for one such as I, still new to adventuring, it would be suicide.

11. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Coward.

Luck be a Lady!

~Rem

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    *snicker* If Rem is so eager to die, I will mourn his loss, and then loot his body for some nice equipment! :lol:

13. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Nice equipment? Don't go spreading that around...People'll start gunning for me.

I am just a poor businesshin trying to make a living in the Dale...

Haven't you realized why Rem is still alive? Because I go first. Always. The enemy never kills the scout! They let him pass to draw in the main body!

Tactics 101

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Bah! Rem is alive because his friends resurrected him! :lol:

15. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Bah! Rem is alive because had enough gold on his body to be resurrected!!!!

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] Tehehe. Money does you no good if you're dead and nobody knows it, or cares :)

17. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

The money on that dead half-orc sure came in handy for me!

18. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Glad you had a good time Math. Although, it was a bit of overkill the five of us taking on that poor 'ol bandit ;) And I wouldn't call Kira mighty....yet :p

19. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

What do you mean? 1Xp + 13 GP in bootie...that was worth it! :rolleyes:

Darn Kat-woman

20. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You only got 1xp for the whole encounter and the quest? That's not right....your PC should have got 1xp when the bandit died, and then 30xp when we went and told Lent in the Freedom Fighters HQ. That 30xp should have been rewarded with the gold :confused: If not, we should mention it to Mem.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.