1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Casting speed

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Valer, May 16, 2002.

1. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Some items can increase the casting speed, for example the overpowered Robe of Vecna, or the necklace given by the Shadow Thiefs.
    - Do theese items realy works?
    - And what is the normal casting speed?
    - Does it increasing by levels?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Robe of Vecna's not really that owerpowered. Sure, it allows you to cast instantly for the first time, but you can't do it again until the full casting time required normally passes. So you get the first strike, but that's it. (And, of course, you can then again cast very fast, but you'll always have to wait for the casting time period between two spells.) You can't cast one spell after another in two second intervals as most people seem to believe.

Casting time is written at the info for each spell in your spellbook. It doesn't change with levels.

3. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Could you clear one thing up for me, do Sorcerers cast spells faster than Mages?
    Through testing and checking this doesnt seem to be the case, but people are talking and im simply listening.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] They both cast at the same speed.

5. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I knew it!!

6. GibbyCat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Technically, they do cast at the same speed. However, there are some spells that are the same for both priest and wizard that cast at different speeds. For example, Dispel Magic cast at 6 for priest and 3 for wizard; and Animate Dead casts at 1 for priests and 5 for wizards. These are exactly the same spells in every other way.

7. Taluntain

Media:
    Who's talking about clerics? The question was sorcerers vs. mages.

8. GibbyCat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You're right. Sorry.

9. Forashi Guest

[​IMG] Hmm... Taluntain are you sure? I seem to recall using the Robe of Vecna numerous times, and aside from the normal pause you'd have to wait before casting a new spell, there was no additional waiting. So you can actually cast 2 fireballs in about the same time you would normally cast 2 magic missiles. Only that even the magic missiles laung faster with 1 less casting time.

I've found it very useful in combat situations in comparison to other mages in my group who always lag because of the casting time. Even if it did only give you the first-strike, nothing else, at least it boosts your reaction time (always good to keep the mage in reserve when you see an enemy is casting a spell, just in case you'd need remove fear, combat dispell or something) and chances of getting that spell in the air before someone hits the mage and cancels it.

Oh well, it's a nice cloak nevertheless. As for overpowering, I wouldn't whine as long as you find no more than 1 of them in the game.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Ah, hm, possibly. Well, the point is still that you can't cast spells like a maniac, which is what most people who call the robe overpowered think happens. But to me the waits in between seemed longer than just normal pauses. Maybe we could get Ex to check it out? *hint, hint* ;)

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 19, 2002).]

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Right, I've finally checked that overpowered Robe and it is behaving as I thought.
    I'm not sure what people think about it, but obviously some things are not clear here. So let's first break the mystery over the so called casting speed.

A round in BG2 is 6 seconds long. The spellcasting time determines when in the round your character will actually release the spell effects. A zero means right at the start, and 10 means right at the end. Five means halfway through. OK?
    Now, there is no "spells per round" modifier as with weapons that would make possible for the spellcaster to actually cast two or more spells in one round. At least don't think it exists. Don't mention the attacked mages instant casting 4356 protections over themselves, those things are scripted in that way. Note that weapon speed behaves in a same way as casting speed.

And what does the lousy robe do then? It allows the spellcaster to cast slow casting spell BEFORE he is hit. Example:
    Don't worry about Edwin if someone attacks him if he has Robe of Vecna equipped. Edwin will now cast Death with speed 2 instead of original 6 (not many weapons have speed 2) and Edwin's opponents will die in agony before they even have a chance to swing their weapons! And you still don't think it's overpowered? :toofar:

The pauses Tal is referring to are nothing but pauses between two rounds. When our Edwin casts first spell almost instantly, he still has to wait 6 seconds for next round to cast another spell.
    You may check all this by selecting an option "pause at round end" or something like that. The console command to get Robe of Vecna in your game is:
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("WA2ROBE")

To prevent possible abuses of this command I've posted for experimenting reasons, it will be removed tomorrow.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    What abuses? Leave it. It's not like the robe's a secret, and the codes for all bonus items are listed on SP anyway.

As for it being overpowered, heh, I suppose it depends on how you use it. I never used any sequencers nor gave the robe to anyone else but my own char. So I cast everything manually...

13. Forashi Guest

[​IMG] Yes, that´s right! But then that would mean I was wrong... damnit. What I mean is, I do recall casting high-level spells with mages (or for example fire elementals with Jaheira) and should the spell take long enough, they´d actually start casting a new spell instantantly after the first spell is finished. This would support the theory of every 1 spell fitting into one round, the casting speed determining when. So no matter what the casting speed, only once per round.

Then Robe of Vecna really does merely boost the reaction speed... But you can always make the waiting for next round more useful by having cast some Melf´s Minute Meteors on you, I think. :)

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    To be able to cast a spell before beeing hit usually means to be able to cast at all since a hit usually interrupts spellcasting.

The casting time vs. weapon speed argument isn't that convincing either: Just let the attack be done by a fighter (or better a kensai) with a shortsword (or better: Kundane) or a dagger (whichever) there. They should be able to hit first.

To be honest, I just fon't understand what is "abusive" about the robe of vecna. The only thing you can say is that it allows you to playe your spellcaster closer to the frontline.

15. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Ragusa, there is no kensai opponent in SoA.
    Majority of opponents have weapon speed slower that the mage equipped with that robe. The problematic part as I see it is that even Amulet of Power is not overpowered with spellcasting speed decrease.
    As for frontline spellcasters, you can always pick up MC or DC mage.

Oh, that reminds me...
    /me goes to post a request at BIS official boards to disable usage of overpowered items in non-collectors edition of IWD2

16. Ragusa

Media:
    Extremist,
    sure the majority of opponents in BG-2 SoA is slower. But so what - a mage is a backliner anyway? AFAIK there are at least two kensai opponents in SoA ... though I may be worng and there is just one:

* Koshi, renowned for wielding C'Fury and for dieing in a hail of arrows and
    * iirc there is one kensai in the party you meet in Firkraag's dungeon (at least there was someone using kai ability and wielding wakizashis and katanas).

Of course, since I always play with ToB installed this may be different in SoA only - though I doubt it. I don't really see the point in stating that the amulet of power is less overpowered than the robe of vecna ... :rolleyes: You and the bonus pack ... :rolleyes: :D :p this dispute is kinda pointless ... :p

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited May 20, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  17. Extremist Gems: 31/31

I was serious up there. There is no kensai in SoA.
    Koshi is pure fighter as you may see if you summon him and add in your party (HLKOSHI).
    I don't know who in the dungeon you're referring to, but that is not kensai either.

The talking about this is not pointless. The bonus merchants items must be demistified before someone says that finishing the game with them is more satisfying then without them.
    But let me ask you something, where can you find such items for small bucks in the Chapter 2 in normal game except Staff of Rynn? I wouldn't say anything if those items were Chapter 6 items, but no, you can get them before you even move your backside from the Waukeen's Promenade. Such a thrilling game! So challenging!

18. Ubull Ravenhorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If there is no way casting like a maniac, then how the hell did Gorion do it?
    Or he is an overpowered-ultrablaster-Megaarchmage?(at level 19 if I remeber well)
    (And I'm not stronger than Elminster, but he is only level 26)
    Vecna's robe is goody, yeah, you can't cast spells like a maniac, but you can't lose your spells so easily. It also hastes the priest spells.( My mage/priest was quite overpowered)

19. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Once again you are right, in a legalistic way. As you well know, nothing is as it should be in the game due to lazy programming: Take Cattie Brie (C6CATTI/ C6CATTI2) for example: The IEE sais she's male ... or take Akae (AKAE; the other "kensai" in Firkraag's dungeon I mentioned): She is a plain fighter, no kensai - surprisingly though she has 3 kai abilities as spells memorized ... ;)
    And yes, Koshi is no Kensai too but maybe you should correct that in a fixpack Extremist :)

20. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

:eek:

Catti-brie is male? :toofar::aaa:

Can I just diverge from the topic a bit (oh well actually it is quite well diverged already) and ask:

Are there ANY kits as enemies in SoA? I know there should be a beastmaster in the Copper Coronet - but maybe that's just in the description. And, of course you can run into a bounty hunter enemy. BTW Is wulfgar scripted as a barbarian?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.