1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Counter Strike Source

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Tap Dancing Oyster, May 10, 2005.

1. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I know many people have mixed feelings about this game - but having recently upgraded from a 56k Modem I have never really tried online gaming so I had to try it out.
    I quite enjoy it - but there are a lot of detractions as well, mostly caused by some of the other players. I asume there are a few of you who play this here, I could do with some help on the following -

I could do with a list of servers - for some reason steam only loads a few hundred into its list. And there doesn't seem like there is a list on the steam site.
    Any recommendations on good servers, preferably not full of idiots (you know what I mean) would be a blessing.
    Any other useful tips for a beginner?

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Get a good config. Play in 12/12 servers with good players. Watch good players and see what they do/use.

3. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Its the same as CS:Z or CS 1.6...just that Source has better graphics and updated physics/maps.

No biggie.

4. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Cheers, not many players though

My online experience stops with about 3 sessions of team fortress. So I've never played CS 1.6 or condition zero.
    Went to some scripting site - but I need a little more experience with the weapons before I start messing round with that.
    Still enjoying it though, I seem to be getting a little better now I'm learning the maps. Theres seems to be quite a few cheaters around though.

5. Gro'Mul Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I play CS:source incidentally. Unfortunately I had my first run-in with a cheater (I mean, nobody can run like lightning right?)
    The problem with good servers is that, after a while they get abandoned because some cheaters or teamkillers constantly ruin the fun. I had found some nice servers (from the netherlands) but they were left empty after some cheaters and teamkillers spoiled it all.
    Try to search for servers where chatter is at a minimum and add them to your favorites...That's the only advice I can give....

6. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

I am having difficulties getting more than 150 servers in my server list. Something to do with the hardware BT have sent me I think. I have found a few good servers - mostly clan public servers where there is often an Admin.
    Getting better although I underestimate the need to rest - start off pretty well - for 1 hour then my performance drops off.

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

I get thousands and I have a 50 ping european server filter. Maybe you have a filter on.

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Tap Dancing Oyster: Have you tried playing at LAN gaming places? That's where I learnt to play CS waaaaaaaay back, and actually having better players physically around to give you tips and stuff to improve your game helps a lot. I know that from experience... :D .

9. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

I filter for CS Source, Server not full, with players playing, in Europe, ping <150 and VAC secure. This will give me about 100ish servers.
    Even without any filters I only get about 150 on a refresh. It seems strange that I get almost as many with filters as without, you'd think that with all the restrictions I place I'd get about 3. I have tried reinstalling steam - it made no difference, I know its not right because I have a mate that gets between 7 and 10 thousand.
    I have a feeling its something to do the port settings on the piece of cr*p router/modem BT sent me. So given a little more time I'll try a different one and see if it makes any difference. I have managed to find a few decent UK servers - I tend to add them to my favourites and keep going back to these.
    Tried some Aim map last night - I definitely need some target practice.
    If it was easy to set up some LAN day I'd probably be up for it, seems like a lot of hassle when I can do it in my house. In terms of learning the only things I really need to pick up now are scripting, just can't be bothered to learn yet and some of the maps more fully. Other than that I can't seem to hit a barn door, I don't hold down fire for long either.

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Erm pal, I think that you would get tons more help on the steam forums (or not). Do a search on those message boards and if you have to start a topic, type well and be very nice! Hopefully someone there can help you!

11. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Cheers, I'll give it a try if I have no luck with my modem.

12. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I play it from time to time, and I have found a great public server, called "KiFFERSTUEBCHEN.de II". It has a mixed variety of good and not-so-good players, but there is always good players there. Cheaters and TKers get banned, but so far I havent run in to any of them. They have a huge variety of good maps, many of the custom made. The coolest thing about the server is the sounds that they have, most of them taken from the Simpsons.

13. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Some of the sounds can get annoying after a while - but I might give it a try if you post the IP address. Chances are though I won't be able find it without the IP on my current set up.

Perhaps some others here might be tempted -
    Sarevok fancy showing off your elite skills?

14. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

I can't play it right now. I have too many problems with my PC hardware and until I get it all fixed, most of my games will freeze and jitter making it impossible to play online. What I suggest you do is to stay away from big servers full of newbs. Go to clanbase.com and find ladders for CS:S, look at the clans that are doing really well, go to their IRC channel, and get their server IP. Try to avoid German/French (unless you can speak their languages). Try not to get into the habit of holding camping spots where you clock up tons of newb kills. If you do that, you will only ever be good at that! If you go into a server and your team is doing really well, switch sides, always make CS as difficult as you can!

15. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

if u werent in europe i would recommend the frau and sailor jerry's inebriation station (FASJIS) servers. im admin on them, but only after i had played on them for about 3 months. Great atmosphere, lots of fun, and until a couple of the admins(mainly me) got grounded there was usually an admin on the server. they got a 24/7 office and 24/7 dust2.

16. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

I'm not sure how much effect this will have on pings - I might check them out over the next couple of days.
    I enjoy dust2 and office they are the two most balanced maps IMO.

17. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

yea most of the other maps are stacked one way...those can be fun though if played correctly.

18. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

I've now been playing this since the start of May - I've joined a nice group of players. If anybody is interested in joining me for a blast try this server, I'm on most nights, you should recognise my tag.

195.20.108.89:27015

I can understand the stigma attached to this game - but we enforce some solid rules on this server. All of the members are 18+, and anyone breaking the rules gets kicked.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.