1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Degree Worth the Debt?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackthorne TA, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was reading this article about people regretting the debt they incurred getting degrees, and I wondered if they're unusual. So, how do people here feel about any debt they acquired getting degrees?

I was lucky enough that my parents paid for the degrees I got from state universities, but I think if I had had to take out loans, I would have been responsible enough (i.e. not racked up an insurmountable amount) that I would not regret it given the position I am in now.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My folks paid for college. I paid for law school, which included several loans. I had them paid off on time and with little issue. I certainly do not regret that debt at all, as I could not have gone to law school without it (I was not going to do it while working) and, as I actually enjoy my career as a lawyer and the practice of law and have also found it to be very rewarding in a monetary sense, the investment was well worth it from any angle you care to use to view it.

damedog likes this.
  3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Financially it isn't worth it to rack up debt getting a teaching degree. If I had started cleaning toilets instead of studying I am pretty sure I would get a greater total life income.

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

In retrospect, I think I made a mistake accepting an offer that came with a large "tuition postponement" package, and should have applied again the next year for a more favorable deal. Oh well, I guess I didn't make the most out of that degree either.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think this is a major problem with our society. We have built a monster with our post secondary education system. Colleges and Universities have become so large that they need a steady stream of students paying a tremendous amount of money to maintain themselves. The problem is that many of these students are not deserving of going to college. Fifty years ago the people who went to college had the brains to get into college. Now, just about everyone goes to college. Many of these students are getting degrees which in no way prepare them for a career or their degree is in a field that in no way can pay for the education they received.

My buddy's ex-wife went to Tufts University for five years and got a degree in "social work". She graduated with over $100K in debt and got a job at "Project Bread" which is a food shelter, which paid $20K per year. If my buddy hadn't of paid off her debt while they were married she would still be paying it. Needless to say it wasn't a very fair divorce settlement as he got no credit for paying off all of her debt.

I was at a seminar in which the speaker was the Dean of Accountancy at a private college. He flat out said that at least 50% of the students at his college have no business being there.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    While I agree that a lot more people go to college than they used to, it's not correct to say "just about everyone goes to college". I looked it up, and unless "just about everyone" includes 38.5% of people living in the US who are at least 25 years old, most people still don't.

However, that percentage is about 10% more than what it was 30 years ago, so I agree with your initial statement that more people are going to college these days. I just don't think it's "just about everyone". But you'd think that as more people go, the cost per person would go down, not up. You'd think that the overhead costs of running the college would be spread out over more students. That evidently doesn't happen, and I don't know the reason for that.

To the topic at hand though, the answer for the people in the link is college was definitely not worth it for them. But there's three points to be made here.

1. The cost of going to college has risen dramatically. I graduated from college in 1996 (bachelor's degree) and had about $20,000 in loans, which at the time represented about half the cost that my undergraduate education - the college I attended was about $10,000 per year. That same education today would cost about $25,000 per year. (I received grants for my graduate work, and so my master's didn't cost me anything.) Now I don't live in a fantasy world, and everything costs more today, but a 250% increase in cost over 15 years seems excessive. Hell a decent public university costs about $20,000 per year these days. But college graduates earn an average of $1 million more over the course of their careers than non-college graduates, so for the typical person it's still "worth it".

2. Some of those people looked really young, like they've only been out of college for a few years. You really need a reality check if you think that your college degree is going to let you walk into a high paying job straight out of school. My first job after receiving my master's degree paid just $28,000 per year. I had to put my time in, take another job that paid about $35,000 per year, and work my way up to my current salary. Saying "college wasn't worth the debt" when you've only been in the job market for a couple of years isn't realistic.

3. When considering the debt you want to take on, you have to look at the career you plan on persuing when you get out of college, and what salaries the people have in that profession. The jaw-dropping example in BTA's example was the married couple who were both social workers who had a student debt of $240,000. How can you possibly think it's an OK idea to take on $240,000 in debt if you're planning on becoming a social worker? That exceeds the amout my brother borrowed to go to medical school, but when he got done, he was a doctor and therefore knew he would earn a salary that would enable him to pay his loan off.

So for some of these people, their first class should have been Reality 101.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Exactly! And indeed that was jaw-dropping for me too! What were they thinking? :hmm: :nuts:

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Guys - they weren't thinking. Unfortunately, many kids in high school are encouraged to go to college and go into their "dream" job -- whatever that is. What happens is that they take classes that interest them or that they "should" take without even considering the ramifications on, oh, the rest of their life. So, people who want to help others, which is certainly a noble goal, major in whatever it takes to be a social worker and then do that, not understanding or realizing along the way that the kids in high school they used to mock for being in shop are going to make more over their careers than the social workers and without debt.

There are several careers in the US (I can't speak for Europe) that require an inordinate amount of education for the compensation delivered. Teachers and social workers come quickly to mind but there are others.

I went to Wharton as an undergrad, so the people I went to school with had a complete eye on the bottom line down the road, but the people in the College of Arts and Sciences at Penn were less aware, and this is at an Ivy League school.

In sum, it seems that many, many people make education choices without consideration for the anticipated salary. It's not that high salary should be the be-all, end-all, as many people would be depressed and miserable in a typical high salary, Type-A job, but the frickin' idea ought to cross their minds as some point, just so that they aren't all surprised and what-not when they can't afford to pay off their college debt on the salary they are making.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I guess I just don't get why someone would choose an expensive private university when they can't afford it and really can't hope to afford it once employed.

I could have gone to nearly any university I wanted to for both my BS and MS, but I didn't want to burden my parents (or myself) any more than I had to, so I chose state universities.

I am also someone who prefers to learn on my own, so I never felt that what university I went to would make much difference in the long run. After your first job, almost nobody cares what schools you went to, only how well you did at your last job. Maybe it's different for doctors/lawyers?

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    OK, I get that, but when I was 18, I knew that social workers weren't pulling in 6-figure incomes. I'm not expecting your typical 18-year old to make grandiose debt-payoff analyses, but they should be able to realize that it's going to take a really, really long time to pay off $240,000 in student loans, if the career you're pursuing pays in the 30s. They should be able to realize that 240 is a lot bigger than 30.

I agree with that. Plus, if you go to a state school, and plan on living in that state after graduation, chances are there wil be a lot of alumni there. I grew up in Pennsylvania, and there are so many Penn State grads working in the state, that going to Penn State isn't a bad choice at all. While htere are a great many private schools that may get you a better education, there aren't many employers in PA that will look down their noses at you because you went to Penn State - quite the opposite in fact.

I also agree that work experience tends to trump education. A good education indicates that you have the potential to be a good employee. Actually performing your work duties at a high level proves you can be a good employee.

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Isn't part of the issue then that social workers and teachers are getting paid too little? If it needs an expensive degree and it is work that needs doing how come it doesn't pay?

12. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Undergraduate degrees are free here. I was lucky enough to have my parents pay for my master's fees (€7,500) and rent for the year while I paid for my living expenses through savings from my part time job when I used to live at home. So I had zero debt leaving college. I'm glad I don't live in America.

Some things are kinda similar though. Lots of people go to college because they feel they should and many study whatever they want to with no thought as to what they'll do when they finish. Obviously they're much better off not being in debt but they may as well not have gone to college. At the same time we can't get people to study IT or science where there aren't enough workers for the jobs. I'd be curious if the free fees have made this aspect worse than elsewhere.

My understanding wasn't that the main advantages of the Ivy League is unrivalled teaching. The main long term benefit over cheaper colleges is arguably the network of people you build up while there. Your classmates are much more likely to be high fliers or rich and in twenty years time there's much more chance that they can pull better favours for you than others.

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Nobody needs an expensive degree; my sister is a social worker and went to community college and state university for her degree. An expensive degree is a choice.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    But there's no reason to rack up $240,000 in debt - no degree is that expensive. Like I said previously, doctors who go to medical school and need about eight years of education don't rack up that much debt. How long was this guy in school? Is he Chris Farley from "Tommy Boy"?

Like BTA said, you can become a social worker without an Ivy League education, and you'd be foolish to go to a very expensive school if you want to be a social worker. It's just a really poor return on investment.

Here's the other thing that kind of builds on work experience trumping education - higher education trumps lower education. If you get a graduate degree, it ceases to matter where you got your undergraduate degree. It doesn't matter if you got your undergraduate business degree from Podunk College if you went to Wharton for your MBA.

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] My degree probably won't be worth the debt. But considering I only have to start paying back when I start earning a certain pay bracket it's also unlikely to be a major concern for quite a while. My best friend has elected to start paying off her loan whilst she is still staying with parents and she's regretting that decision already.

Overall I don't think I'll regret doing my course, I pretty much need a piece of paper to say "I can do stuffs" to be employable and even then that is a slim hope of a potential career.

In the UK the loan gets written off after 10/15 years if you're not earning the pay bracket they expect and I can imagine it being very evident the plethora of courses being guilty of such a thing, considering you can do courses in things such as music appreciation and the like as universities like to employ courses that make them look more populous, with opportunities for the local community to get more involved in higher education (ie making university a simple option for those who would otherwise opt out)

As someone else put online, university is like unemployment - only your parents are proud of the latter.

16. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My wife's parents paid 4 yrs of college for her. She paid(signed for loans) the next two to receive a Masters she doesn't use. She started over in a unrelated field and got a PHD. When we bought our house about 5 years agao, she already had over 100k of debt from her school loans. Luckily I had no debt. We are still paying them. And will be for a bit longer. Was it worth it? yOu bet ya! She makes pretty big money adn her potential earnings are still rising and will continue to do so in her field, as her degree opens up all sorts of doors for her. Possibly a pratice later on.

Not all degrees will get you there though. You need to be picking the right field to enter the workforce in. Teaching doesn't pay alot here in Rockford, but Engineering could. The medical field is a shoe in for decent pay. So is a law degree. I make decent money as well, utilizing a Customs Brokerage License. No degree is necessary to get your license. Just pasing a very hard test. Many lawyers I work with also have their Brokerage License and tell me the test were definitely on par with each other.

You don't need a degree to be sucessful financially. It sure can help though. But is the Degree worth the debt? In most cases, I would have to say yes.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've been employing people for finance and accounting roles for years. Some of the people who have been the best at the job and have gone on to earn the most money have been people with the most minimal education qualifications (and vice versa). As an employer, I am very cynical of the value of degrees and qualifications. NOTHING trumps a good attitude and some common sense, and that is pretty much all I interview for.

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You hear about useless people with all kinds of degrees everywhere and I know a fair share myself... there seems to be a considerable percentage of people who somehow manage to breeze through the years and tests to their diplomas but after being faced with real-life application of their "knowledge" turn out to be completely useless. Or constantly make such ridiculous 1st-grade mistakes that I just stare in disbelief how they managed to get past the 1st year of university, let alone 4.

Based on that I've developed the "empty head" theory. I surmise that the faster and more effortlessly someone manages to get through university, the more likely it is that they've got so little stored in their brains that they easily manage to soak up and reproduce all the superfluous filler BS that most university courses have a plentiful amount of. Apparently though, by the time that they manage to find a job they forget even most of what they might have learned at university and simply revert to the empty head state.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The there's the aspect that a lot of what you learn you never have the opportunity to apply. There are some exceptions to this. Obviously, doctors apply what they learn in medical school - although probably little of what they learned as an undergraduate. Same thing with lawyers - yes to what they learned in law school, no to what they learned in undergraduate school. I use very little of what I learned to get my degree in my present profession.

20. I'm on my first year at college. I already don't know if its worth it. Its boring and I don't know if I will have a good job in the future. I'm thinking of going to college, but spending not too much on time on it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2022
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.