1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Europe vs America

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Spliff Krieger, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

[​IMG] Why are Europeans fed up with Americans, and why are Americans jealous of Europeans...?

How do you feel about the other continent, what would you like there and what would you change there? Why do Americans get on your nerves, and why do Europeans piss you off?

2. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Europeans don't piss me off. Americans on the other hand.... no comment. Don't want to get banned.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I predict that this thread soon will be too political for Whatnots. I see it being moved.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not fed up with America. Maybe thoroughly fed up with a couple of Americans and certain American policies, but not fed up with America.
    I could say this about some European countries and persons, albeit with less emphasis.

There are a number of things, and some very important ones, I hold very dear about America, it's just that some of them are hard to find these days. Talk about decent donuts as a less important example ... :1eye:

4. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I don't mean to hurt people's feelings, I was just hoping people would come up with some funny "facts", so we can all have a good laugh...

For example: "I like the fact that all American girls get a boob job on their 18th birthday..." And more stuff like that...
    But if we can't be polite and humorous about each other, than this topic is of no use...

5. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I sense this topic could turn into flaming war. It would be best not to touch this subject to avoid hurting feelings.

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I have no problems with Americans, over the years i've met quite a few of em on the internet, some of which become good friends, and i hope to meet them someday in real life.

Also, i haven't met a single American who is jealous of Europeans, i don't know where that misconception is coming from, and i honestly wouldn't know why they should be jealous. On the other hand, i do know quite a few Europeans who act annoyingly frustrated towards anything or anyone from the US, and i feel that in most cases those sentiments are born out of jealousy, so i believe it's the other way around, but that's just me.

Of course i've also met several American boneheads, but you can find those in any culture.

7. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Voice1 Europeans hate americans because they have money whilst americans are jealous of europeans because they have history and culture.

Voice2 It's complete :bs: and propogated by that icon of truth Hollwood; but that's probably what you meant isn't it.

Voice2 aside Why is it that whenever someone mentions BS you immediately smell Texas

Voice1 exeunt left muttering I talk to the trees that's why they put me away

Voice2 exeunt centre

voice3 exeunt left

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Pac man,
    except for the jealousy aspect, which I doubt in, there is also one of disappointment, or disillusionment. That's first of all for politics. But I don't even think that politics, how controversial however, are the key. They are merely a symptom.

IMO the big underlying point here is the issue of differences in menthality and about schools of thought. That is a point that in earlier discussions caused the biggest controversies. I suggest searching the archives on that. Or to PM me.

As for American lifestyle or culture, we in the 'West' are all pretty much on board there and like it. That certainly is not the point of friction between Europe and America.

9. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Hey, i like differences in mentality, if not for that, the world would be a gray boring place. I even like the "our buildings are bigger than yours" mentality, it always makes me chuckle. Some people can get immensely pissed with those statements, but why ? Aren't we in a way all doing the same ? The French can be pretty cocky too, possibly even worse than the Americans. And now that i mention it, my own fellow countrymen also know how to annoy others. I prefer to relativate statements like that, everyone is kinda proud of his nation's achievements, if you want to bragg about it, be my guest, i don't mind.

@ Darkstrider

I have money too, will that cost me my European citizenship ? Now that i think of it, so does everyone i know. Matter of fact, i hardly know any people that don't have money, yet none of them are Americans, please elaborate because it confuses the hell out of me. :shake:

Oh, and Americans have culture and history too, a lot of Europeans even try to copy American culture. We eat Cheeseburgers at McDonalds, drink Coca Cola, wear Nikes and Jeans, listen to Hip Hop, celebrate Halloween and other American traditional festivities, need i go on ?

Americans are not jealous of European history, at least not the ones i know. They hardly know a damn thing about it because A) they don't care, or B) they didn't get properly educated.

I sometimes call myself "an American trapped inside a European body", just for fun, but there might be more truth inthere, than i could possibly imagine. :D

10. DarkStrider

@Pac man

Voice3 enter stage left Was I been serious no I don't think so as Voice2 pointed out Voice1 is all BS ....

Voice3 exeunt right

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31

If you're hearing so many voices, go see a shrink. :D

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Speak for yourself Pacman :D , and BTW Halloween is Irish/Scottish, not US. Its called "Samhain" here, and "Hallo'ween" in Scotland.

But back on topic, I find that the US is the land of extremes. Some of the nicest people come from there, and some of the worst people I have ever met also come from there, but no culture is perfect. I only find it annoying when some US citizens tell me they are 'Irish' but cannot name a city apart from Dublin, and think that to make traditional Irish food, you take any popular dish, and replace the water with Guiness (don't believe me? Then visit any Irish pub in the US!). Of course I don't like US government policies, but that is nothing to judge the people on. Its a bit patronising to call cheeseburgers and other fast foods, 'US' foods, as they have some great breads there, and all the black American dishes are superb.

13. DarkStrider

I never said I was hearing voices, just because I was bored and decided to write some meaningless chaff as stage directions. As for shrinks the ones I've met socially all tell me that as my mind focus is analytical they'd hate to see as a patient. Not that I'd go.....

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There are things about both that I love and things I can't bear. Sometimes Europe feels like an oasis of omnipresent leftism. The blind kind of compulsory leftism on European universities, if you know what I mean. That would be my pet peeve with regard to Europe, I think. On the American side, I don't like certain products of the tension between the strict puritan traditions and the lavish liberties in the area of morality. For example, I lack words to express how I utterly hate the non-exclusive dating tradition (nb. there are rumours of the concept being actually European). I profoundly dislike bad manners and by this I don't mean deficient etiquette but plain gross behaviour. However, of that both sides of the pond are equally guilty, which makes them blow equally hard. Maybe HB, NS and the rest tell us what things look like on the back side of the world? :p

That's not funny, that's sad. And I hope it isn't true, although it's probably becoming like that. Europe follows, anyway, I guess. Does anyone happen to have some statistics?

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The citizen of US are okay, probably, but I'm pretty fed up to the "americanism." I mean: can't the news find anything better to report than what Mr. Bush is bombing again or who has sued what. Personally, I would like to hear more about Asia and South-America for change.

16. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I don't really have a problem with America in general but I've met a few persons from there and their deeply arrogant behaviour was something astonishing. They were not adults however and only some teenagers who were visiting my former school so it probably does not reflect the entire or even the majority of the American population, I've met plenty of Finns who are complete dicks too. ;)

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You can't seriously believe this:

Come on -- get a grip. If you want to list stupid stereotypes then say so in the thread.

I don't personally know any American who is jealous of Europeans. In fact, most Americans are happy with living and staying in America (I'm not saying that's a good thing).

18. DarkStrider

The americans have more millionaires and billionaires than any other country and that was what I was referring to. I am fortunate enough to be in 1 of those classes, though I'm not american.

The americans have culture ? Well sort of their's is mish-mash of various european influences and some african. The real culture of america the european immigrants tried to suppress, but some pockets of it can still be found; Navajo, Cree, Blackfoot, Sioux etc. As an aside were you aware that the first use of a biological weapon was by the U.S. Cavalry when they knowingly gave smallpox infected blankets to the Native american Indians. Apart from thanksgiving the majority of their festivals come from europe somewhere.

Fast food is not evidence of culture it is evidence of laziness and apathy IMO.

Of course all of this is opinion and you're quite welcome to ignore it my original post was just a bit of fun sadly misinterpreted

19. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I don't hate Americans, just their government.

20. DarkStrider

What is it you like about their government how funny it is or how corrupt ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.