1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots as well as access many other forum features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a truly friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this excellence is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today and convince yourself!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.

Evasion Vs Spell Focus

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Rik Kirtaniya, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Rik Kirtaniya Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I made a Dwarf fighter, and gave him one monk level to get the evasion feat, and he's doing pretty well evading the kegs of blasting, as he has 18 Dexterity and the Lightning reflexes feat.

I plan to use him as a decoy with the Fireballs, since the heavy armour which he'd be wearing as a fighter won't hinder the Reflex saving throws.

Now, from what I've heard about spell focus, it adds to the DC of spells and makes saves against them more difficult. I wished to give my sorcerer Spell focus: Evocation, but I'm wondering whether it would make evading Fireballs difficult for my Dwarf fighter, since Reflex will not be his primary saving throw. I don't know if Spell Focus really helps a lot, but I don't want my fighter getting fried by fireballs, just because the DC is increased due to Spell Focus. Is there anyway for Evasion to be effective for a high level fighter (whose reflex saving throws are not the primary ones)? I wonder whether that odd monk level helps in improving RSTs. Also, is Spell Focus potentially suicidal in the scenario I've described above, and finally, is it worth it?

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Just have your cleric or druid cast a protection from fire spell on him. There are several of increasing effectiveness as they gain spell levels. Oh, and take the lightning reflexes feat if it concerns you that much.

That said, I've found that evasion isn't as great as people make it out. I've had a thief backstab an enemy, then tried dropping fireballs on him, only to get fried too often to count even with high stats and improved evasion.

3. Rik Kirtaniya Gems: 1/31

Well, even the best protection spells offer about 10/- or 15/- elemental damage reduction, while a level 10 fireball can deal upto 72 damage with Spirit of Fire and a failed RST. Also, they are highly specific in regard of the type of damage they offer protection against, and as I'm new to this game, I cannot possibly predict what elements I'd be up against. The problem is greater with skull traps, since they do greater damage and 'slashing damage' (Is there any decent non-'caster-only' spell to protect against slashing damage?)
    Evasion looks pretty neat since it avoids the damage completely if one is lucky and has the advantage of being non-specific.

I don't expect that I'd evade damage every time, but at least I would like to do so most of the times. Considering that I've already had lightning reflexes, is there no other way to improve evasion chances?

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Buffing.
    Cat's grace has moderate duration and increases dexterity and by extension evasion.
    Luck (2nd level wizard spell) in theory should give you a +1 bonus on every die roll. On a D20 used for the evasion calculation, that increases evasion by 5%. I haven't tested this.
    I believe this stacks with Bless, which I believe stacks with Prayer or Recitation. Chant also stacks with some of these, but I forgot which combos were valid with chant.
    Note that I might be confusing IWD1 with IWD2 I'll have to check the descriptions, but the computer with the games installed is turned off as I should be in bed right now.
    A bard can also buff him to increase saving throws.

As for "not being able to predict which element you will get hit by", you just said you were going to drop a fireball on the guy! You should know a fireball means fire damage, which is what you should put extra protection on the character before doing that. If you plan to drop fireballs on your fighter, buff him with a resist/protection from fire spell just in case.

5. Rik Kirtaniya Gems: 1/31

Thanks a lot!
    Oh yes, of course! How silly of me! :D I should have mentioned that I wanted that to mean the AoE damage spells cast by enemy casters. However buffing a decoy with protection spells is, in my opinion, tedious, as the damage reduction is very small compared to the damage that may be received on a failed RST, and anyways, the fighter will have a pool of hit points to survive long enough to quaff a potion of extra healing.

Back to the original question, can someone please enlighten me about the effect of spell focus in the given complication?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2017
  6. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    I was always disappointed by the ineffectiveness of the "protection from element" spells in IWD2. Especially when I found that the 4th level spell Protection From Lightning did NOT offer very much protection at all from the 3rd level Call Lightning cast by Trugnuk outside the Horde Fortress. There should have been a counter spell to Call Lightning that would neutralize it, especially a 4th level spell taking out a 3rd level spell, rather than offering very little actual protection. Heck, I made a post partially about that one encounter

That said, I found [improved] evasion isn't nearly reliable enough for the tactics of dropping a fireball on your rogue unless you use a lot of short-duration buffs. If you are going that way, you should probably slap a spell that protects him from fire damage just for the hell of it in case he fails the save anyways.

That was just my experience, other swear by the tactic.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  7. Rik Kirtaniya Gems: 1/31

I share exactly the same sentiment. Well, don't you think the Baldur's Gate series of protection spells were much better? They offered at least 50% to 80% protection, and the 4th and 5th level ones offered 100% protection! Moreover if the resistance went over 100%, you got healed instead of being harmed. It's sad that there's no such thing in IWD2.
    I think you are right. I didn't realize this at first; but as they say, better be safe than sorry.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    The way the mechanic is set up could work, if the damage reduction wasn't so pathetic compared to the amount of damage dealt by the spells the protection spells are supposed to counter.
    The 4th level protection from lightning should reduce the damage by 20-30, not a mere 6. Alternately, could make it do a random 1d6 per level of protection up to a maximum of 10d6 and it would be acceptable. A mere 6 damage against electricity, and ONLY electricity is nothing compared to the damage output of shocking grasp, let alone Call lightning making the spell almost worthless.
    Same for the mere 7 from protection from fire, and why is a 3rd level spell giving better protection than a 4th? Why is protection from lightning a 4th level and protection from fire a 3rd?
    The protection from element spells are almost worthless in IWD2, while they were powerful in BG and IWD1.
    Granted, I rarely used them in Baldur's Gate or even IWD, but they were at least worth it, like casting the mere second level spell Resist Fire in the ice areas so you could cast fireballs with abandon as they were super-effective against ice monsters.

Rik Kirtaniya likes this.
  9. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    BTW, on this line of thought, has anybody done a mod to make the protection spells actually worthwhile?

10. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm not aware of any. You could adjust them using DLTCEP without much trouble though.