1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout: New Vegas - Open Letter

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Oct 22, 2010.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Fallout: New Vegas Senior Producer Jason Bergman has posted an open letter on the Bethsoft forums, explaining the recent updates. More to come, console fixes and some bug myths:

As you may have seen, we released a patch over Steam for PC users last night. While we didn't release a full changelist, the patch contains quest and scripting fixes. It's not a minor hotfix, it contains over 200 fixes in all. We are in the final stages of testing this update on both 360 and PS3 and we hope to have them out to users very soon.

We are also pleased to say that we have just released a second fix for PC users to address the autosave and quicksave issues that some people were encountering. That particular issue was never seen prior to release and it was extremely difficult to reproduce reliably, even after the game had launched. In order to fix this problem we have had to disable Steam Cloud functionality. It has been turned off, and we won't turn it back on until we're absolutely sure it will not cause any more problems. Please restart your Steam client to make sure you get the update.

We are also working directly with hardware manufacturers to improve performance for certain video cards. This is a driver issue, and not directly related to the game.

On consoles, we are aware that a small group of 360 users are seeing a DLC warning which is preventing you from loading save games. We are absolutely looking into this bug now, along with other reports of save game corruption. It is our highest priority right now that we find out what is causing it. In the meantime, we recommend you save often, and revert to an older save if this occurs.

As far as general memory and instability, you should see an improvement once the patch goes live, but we are continuing to work on this based on user feedback.

We want everyone to know that we are monitoring the forums and cataloging every single issue we see reported. We're reading forum posts, we're checking Twitter, and we're reading Facebook comments. We aren't able to reply to most threads, but we're listening. If we see an issue, we have people here trying to reproduce it so we can fix it.

While there are definitely legitimate issues out there, we wanted to take a moment to address a couple of things that have been reported as "bugs."

The now infamous Doc Mitchell video, while very funny (and horrifying) was not a bug. Unfortunately during our launch day, there was a brief window where Steam was pushing out corrupt or incorrect files. In the event that a user wound up with a corrupt meshes.bsa file, they would get that error. It was easily (and instantly) corrected by simply re-validating your files with Steam. At most, a handful of people ever saw that issue, and even then, only for a moment before fixing it.

We have seen forum posts where people are claiming they are not getting all of their perks. Again, this is not a bug. In Fallout: New Vegas, you receive perks every other level, not every level as you do in Fallout 3.

And finally, a quick tip: Be aware of your faction status before assuming the game is broken. Factions will react very strongly to you based on your current armor. If you're wearing Powder Ganger or Caesar's Legion armor, you will be shot on sight by the NCR (and vice versa). Also note that there are groups of renegade Powder Gangers (known simply as "Escaped Convicts") who will shoot you regardless of your faction status.

Please post any issues you are having to our forums and we'll do our best to fix them as quickly as possible.

Thanks,

The Fallout: New Vegas Teams at Obsidian and Bethesda​

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I won't be buying this game since it requires Steam. I guess they want to herd all of us PC users into playing on X-Box, since Steam has a variety of its own issues. Sorry, no. If I can't play the game as a stand-alone PC game I won't be buying. Bethesda should start considering its clients before it treats us this poorly. A few of us just won't play, regardless of how hyped your game is, until you treat us with some respect.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What problem do you have with Steam?

4. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Thanks, BTA. I can PM you, if you think you can help. :)

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, does that mean you have a technical problem then? I thought it might be philosophical or something. Not sure I'd be much help since I haven't had any problems with Steam in the past (though I haven't run any of my Steam games since I've recently upgraded to Windows 7), but feel free to PM if you want.

6. Chandos the Red

Media:
    BTA - No, it is nothing philosophical. I reinstalled it just to see if I could get it to work and it did. Suprise! It seems to be working fine after the reinstall. What I will say is that when it doesn't work, the game is just a shiny disc that doesn't do anything. It does make a good coaster for my beer though. :beer:

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Heh, that's true; if Steam doesn't work, you're screwed. Fortunately I've never had a problem with it. Not that I have tons of games through them, but a few including some nice indie games like World of Goo. :)

Good luck.

8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    When I first start it, I still get a Windows message that says, "Steam has stopped working -- Windows is searching for a solution." But if I just cancel the message, Steam is still running. Oh, well, as long as it keeps working.

9. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The problem is that pc-gamers did it to themselves for pirating so much that the industry reacted.

Steam is OK, I like it. It remains a risk.

10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    :bs:
    :bs:

I'm a PC user and I've never pirated a single PC game. As a PC gaming client, I've paid for all my retail, over-priced games.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Leaving aside for now whether or not PC gamers brought it on themselves, my problem is with how the industry reacted to the percieved piracy problem. The problem I have with steam or other forms of copy protection implementation is that they bother only the paying customer. The game will be cracked regardless of copy protection and after that anyone that downloads that version can play without being bothered by Steam, Starforce, SecuROM, whatever.

In the end, then, copy protection only serves to annoy the paying customer, while not stopping piracy in any significant manner.

It is a sad state of affairs that when I buy a game, I become so annoyed with the copy protection implementation that I end up downloading the game so I can play it without that rubbish. I normally avoid games with that kind of copy protection, but it increasingly seems that if I want to persist in this avoidance, I'll soon have no games to buy at all.

Not that this really bothers me, as I have a pretty large collection of old games to replay, anyway. Not to mention that I find myself having less and less time and desire to play games as well.

12. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I don't think Merlanni was referring to you personally. :)

But the problem is that PC games are widely pirated, leaving you and me and other honest gamers to pay for the free-riders, both in terms of higher prices, more annoying copy protection, and fewer available games to choose from.

Console games aren't as easily pirated, making them more profitable. I can't blame gaming companies for producing games they can expect to turn a profit. It's what keeps them alive, after all.

13. Chandos the Red

Media:
    It's called the cost of doing business. Every industry has its share of scammers. I don't feel sorry for the gaming industry in the least. I come from a retail/sales background and have seen bigger scammers. A lot of custmers get free/steal stuff in retail all the time.

Lastest example from last week:

I special ordered an expensive item for a customer, which was supposed to arrive in 3 days. I got an email the next day from the supplier saying that the item may be delayed because it was not at the warehouse. I called the customer explained the situation. The response was, "No problem. I'm disappointed, but there's nothing I can do."

It turns out that the supplier went through the trouble to have the item overnighted to the warehouse, so it arrived in exactly 3 days. You think the customer would be happy? When the customer came in to pick it up, he complained that he wanted $150.00 off the cost because "the ordeal made him nervous." Really! Even though the item arrived on time, at extra expense to the supplier. Guess what? He got his $150.00 off. This kind of stuff goes on ALL the time.

THAT costs all of us as well. Who do you think pays for that in the long run?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  14. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    What you call "the cost of doing business", I consider an euphemism for "theft". And let's face it, theft is rampant when it comes to PC games.

And yes, I know who ends up paying for it. You do. And I. We pay a higher price (to cover for the thieves/"pirates" who want a free ride) for an inferior product with annoying copy-protection. Or we don't get the product at all because nobody wants to develop games for the PC, since they know they'll be operating at a loss. Like it or not, it's profits that keeps the business alive.

I don't know if I should feel sorry for the industry. They can just switch to the console platforms and leave the PC to Microsoft Office. ;) But we should feel sorry for honest PC gamers.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    While I tend to agree, it serves to discourage casual piracy (i.e. amongst friends/acquaintances), but is that a significant portion? Hard to say.

Funny how console games are consistently $10 more expensive than the PC version. Seems preventing piracy only serves to dirve the price up in this case.

16. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Licensing fees are also higher for consoles.

17. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I know people who do. Some on a large scale, one even had a side business in it.

All my software is legit, games, programs and windows. I accept all the stuff gamemakers do to prevent it. I will not use half-reasons to justify anything. Some companies go to far. I once had to remove Nero burning rom from a pc to play fallout3.

No matter how you try to justify it, It is and remains theft no matter how many loopholes local laws have. It remains theft. There is no grey area.

It is not personal Chandos.

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    NP. :) I did not take it that way, but only in the "PC gamers brought it on themselves." There are many PC gamers like you and me who buy our games, and the lot of us should not be condemned for what a certain group of "other" PC gamers do in this regard.

But I believe that your remarks towards gamers in general is pretty much the attitude that the industry has towards PC gamers and I believe that is, at least in part, why they treat us so poorly. The other part is that they don't know any better.

19. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    IMO Steam is much better than Games for Windows.

Many things in New Vegas make me think about Fallout 2. One thing is for sure, New Vegas is certainly as buggy as Fallout 2 (unpatched)...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.