1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

FR Book Recommendations Needed

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by ion, Oct 3, 2005.

1. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I love the works by Salvatore, but enjoy learning new words as I read, and find the books about Drizzt bland in their word usage.

I am looking for books set in the Forgotten Realms that are written using a higher level of vocabulary.
    Any recommendations? Thanks

[ October 08, 2005, 01:17: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't think you'll find many FR stuff to your liking then - they're aimed at a teenish audience, so they're not going to be very challenging. None of the ones I've read strike me as having anything interesting writing-wise.

3. Newfie Banned

The Last Mythal series is a little better.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I have a pretty good vocabulary, but Richard Lee Byers books (which I like a lot) constantly baffle me with their choice of words. Check out his stuff.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have never read a Forgotten Realms book that had an interesting plot, engaging characters, or exciting usage of words. I think you're going to have to look elsewhere for that sort of thing.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Elaine Cunningham notwithstanding, agreed. Then again, it's been a long while since I've read one of her books; maybe I've got the rose colored glasses on.

7. ion Gems: 5/31

Oh well, although Im not really surprised. Thanks

8. Gilden Gems: 5/31

If you want a series of books that has some serious language mixed in there, try Donaldson's "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever".

Two sets, each of three books, not easy to read at all, and can be quite frustrating, but they have an indefinable POWER.

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Not off topic, but sort of:

I too, am interested in FR books. Would you suggest I read them? I've read a ton of Dragonlance, which i love.

10. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@Saber: Well I would recommend The Avatar Series. I haven't read the whole series though.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

if you're into the drow:

dark elf trilogy and hunter's blades trilogy are imo salvatore's best work by far. cunningham's trilogy about liriel baenre isn't bad either. i also recommend the WotSQ series which was concluded recently.

other FR stuff I'd recommend are the Return of the Archwizards trilogy by Troy Denning, (as already mentioned) the avatar trilogy, The Rogue Dragons trilogy by Richard Lee Byers, the Last Mythal trilogy by Richard Baker and cunningham's halruaa trilogy (her best work imo).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.