1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good Multiclass combinations?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Gaidal, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Gaidal Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] So what IS the best class combo in the game anyway? Anyone with a great or awful multiclassing story to share?

I'm going to multiclass my Half-Elf Paladin soon, any advice on a 2nd or 3rd class? I'm thinking Cleric...

2. Sol'Kanar Guest

I think you're asking the wrong question here. There is really no best combination of classes. There are some classes that go together and some that don't. It depends on your preferred play style.

3. Syrel Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] My char is a Ranger(13)Rogue (3)Fighter (2)
    which makes for one tough char :)
    strong fighting skills

the fighter levels allow me to specialize in weopons.
    the Rogue levels boost up my disarm and detect traps as well as giving me sneak attack bonuses

and the Ranger give me piles of stuff :)

but i have no magic so if you like magic on your char then you may want to consider a mage combo of some sort or a cleric combo.

but pretty much any fighter type combo is good
    fighter type = palidin/Ranger/fighter/Barbarian
    one of those + one of these
    rogue/mage/cleric
    should be good :D

some combos may be harder to play then others depending how you like to play.
    if you like to hack and slash i suggest not making a rogue+mage :)

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I play a lvl 7 pally/ 4 fighter - a very powerful melee char yet lacking flexibiliy. Fighting a mage without any spellcasting power is kinda tough. But he beats up anything comventional that comes in his way easily - with three attacks per round.

However, I also thought about a cleric level or up to four to get some spellcasting powers and to improve my will save.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 03, 2002).]

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I have to second the opinion that there is no 'best' combination. It all depends on what you want to do. I happen to like the fighter/ranger or the ranger/rogue as good combinations. I also generally avoid multiclassing my pure spellcasters because so much of their power is directly tied to caster level. But that's just personal preference and I know plenty of people who do make fighter/wizards or mage/thieves for example.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

6. Atheris Gems: 1/31

I just made a pretty good one......Ranger/Monk/Rogue.......I played him in a training mod to make him a ranger7/monk10/rogue3, and he came out pretty good. I'd have to say that thinking back on it, I probably would have made him a ranger7/monk7/rogue6....I ended up being a human with absolutely UNCANNY stealth capability, 2 handed weapon proficiency (shortsword) Unarmed attack proficiency, able to disable traps and open locks an animal companion, and all the special feats that come with being a monk (speed, flurry of blows, stunning fist, etc.....it was pretty cool. of course you'd have to start off as a ranger, cause as a monk, the beginning levels are pretty difficult due to all the restrictions. Put some assasins garb on him with the hooded type "head" and you've go yourself a homade ninja. Anyway, just my experience.

Thanks

7. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ah...the fun I had with my Half-Orc sorcerer/paladin/rogue...:)

Play with what you like, not with powerful ones. It really, really doesn't matter and you'll have far more fun with combo's or single class characters you LIKE to play then just going for some cheesy ultimate combo.

8. Rael Elrohim Gems: 1/31

From a practical standpoint, you want to try and have your second class fill in the weaknesses of your first. Like fighter or barbarian is a good second class to toughen up a magic user, while a fighter might want a class that can use magic. Rogues get a lot of skills at the first level, as do monks.

I'd think twice about paladin/cleric - they are two very similar classes, with similar advantages. Both get turn undead and heal, and can wear heavy armour with no serious penalty, and so on, so it might be an idea to mix in something a little different?

And dont forget that once you multiclass, you cant gain more levels as a paladin.

9. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Are you sure that the paladin and monk restriction on gaining levels after multiclassing is actually in NWN? Its not mentioned in the manual AFAIK.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

10. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

this just came to me.

The ultimate spell caster.

Sorcerer/Cleric/Druid.

You would practically have a spell for every occasion, also you would get a familiar, a animal companion, a henceman, and even shapeshifting abilities.

You would have an endless list of spells, so you wouldn't have to rest as often, but i think you will fall short of the high level spells tough.

I would try this, but at the moment i am partically looking forward to making a MONK/SORCERER or MONK/DRUID(easier of the two as they both require wisdom). But not a monk/cleric (i just don't like clerics).

Also other effective combos i was thinking of was the obvious, Fighter/Mage- and with the double edged sword you can be Darth Maul.

Also i was wondering what the most useless multiclass would be.
    Wizard/Sorcerer
    Barbarian/Fighter
    Bascially because they are very similiar classes.

Oh well, i have babbled enough. bye

11. I think Bioware should tweak a little on that xp cap. It's impossible to get a decent character out of 20 levels. No level 8-9 spells if you dual with something else and stuff like that.

12. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well that's third edition level rules for you ;) Actually, I don't think you'd like the rules for levels after 20 any better. I haven't seen much on them, but I did see a snippet about having to choose what features you got when you gained a level.

Now as far as good class combos, what's so bad about adding similar classes together? Those are they ones that stack the best without giving up so many advantages. I've been fiddling around with a human ranger/barbarian/fighter in a little custom mod of mine, and at 6 ranger/4 barbarian/4 fighter, he is really a nice character for pure fighting character. Eventually I'd probably like to talke it up to 9 ranger/5 barbarian/6 fighter. Awsome fighting charcter, and none of those damned ranger spells (why is it that rangers have spells at all).

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Plan for the expansion. Wait for the expansion. Buy the expansion. Expand.

14. Izlude120 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I personaly like my Palidin/Sorcerer.
    He has great fighting skills and pretty good spells. He is very flexible also. Im going to get him to lv 5 or 6 pally and then go all sorcerer. This can get me to lv 6or7 spells. Enough to cast tensors transformation. I think Palidin/Sorcrer is good because palidins need good charisma anyway any you can pick him to be more melle or magical. You get to pick.

15. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] I'm having great fun with my Gnome Sorcerer(4) Rogue(7)! With Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting, he's a decent lil' beast in melee too.
    He has the Panther Familiar at the moment, to give him a hand in Combat. I'm currently using him to test out my new campaign. He's suitable for nearly every occasion. Cleric spell aren't a problem with Use Magic Item (cleric scrolls), Traps and Wizard spells he can do fine. Stealth goes without question: Hide(9) + Move Silently(9) + Invisibilty. He can even do high charisma stuff with Persuade (7).
    Perfect all-rounder.

16. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31

ok, crawl, that was just my opinion maybe some similiar classes can go well together, but you would miss out on their high level abilities.

yes a fighter/barbarian could work, but come on, i could not imagine a wizard/sorcerer. being better than a pure wizard or pure sorcerer.

17. Izlude120 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

actually sorce-wizard is strong. You can equip all light wepons and you have a massive amount of low level spells. So many magic missles mainly. It ripps right through most anything. So with support like in Multiplayer games he would be realy effective. Sorce-Wizard is realy offensive if you like pure offencive.

18. Crawl Gems: 23/31

You have a point about redundancy with similar spell casting classes. You won't get high level abilities, but then, by combining fighting classes like that, you're not missing out on too much. Some, yes, but if you do it correctly, you do make up for it with the enhanced abilities of the other classes.

19. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Paladin-1/Sorcerer-19 is what I'm tampering with at the moment.
    You get the very good 1st level paladin abilities and also 9th level spells which I consider very important.

I'm still a 3rd ed D&D newbie :)

20. Christian Gems: 7/31

my character is so cool...

it's a druid/wizard.
    now I'm only 2/2 but it's very funny.

i'm not good at melee but for fun, he have a scimitar in each hand, just for fun. He have a necromancer tunic.

I have a familiar and a compagnon. I take 2 panther. very cool. the compagnon is stronger then the familiar but I can possess the familiar so it doesn't really matter.

and I took, the half-orc.
    very strong team and I'm back of them, hiding in shadow and casting healing and offensive spell.

I really enjoy the game so far!

I play it the way I want, I know I can be more powerfull. like taking the bear and the hellhound but I'm making fun with my panthers. and my 2 scimitar that I use once per year :) to kill a weak gobin lol.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.