1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

help with win xp

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by lasgalen, Jun 30, 2005.

1. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i felt a little nostalgic for some POR (i know, some would suggest i need my head read), but unfortunately the other half insisted i upgrade to win xp, which doesn't support directx8. it's playing hell with my graphics, and i was wondering if anyone could suggest a solution.

how come black isle managed to make a series of games that run on anything, even laptops with cruddy graphics cards, when every other company churns out stuff that seems to have excessively complex system requirements - all slightly different form each other? sods.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since when does XP not support DirectX 8? I'm pretty sure 9 wasn't out yet when XP was released.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm running it currently in XP without problems (and DirectX 8 installed, I may have upgraded though).

4. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Which Pool of Radiance are you talking about ? There are two, and if you mean Ruins of Myth Drannor, it works perfectly on WinXP with DirectX 9.0x. Actually much better than on Win98SE...But why do you need DirectX 8 ?

5. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yes, I was talking about RoMD. I might be reading the problem wrongly, but the game worked fine on my old system running win98. i now have winxp, and have just installed the latest version of directx 9.0c, and what i'm getting is big chunks out of moving characters and interactive items: the background is fine.
    i tried to install the version of direct x that came with the game, but it reads my sytem as being winNT, and says it doesn't support v8.0.
    i appreciate your advice re this!

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sounds like an issue with your graphics card or drivers. Try installing some older drivers.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.