1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'm a FALLEN Stalker?!! Help!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Eyebreaker7, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    How do I switch back to not being Fallen? It changed because of my choice in Hell during the Test of Wrath. I've tried SK but don't see anything that would work. I tried resetting his alignment. I tried switching his specialty class (Stalker) to a different one (Wizard Slayer) but I'm still a Fallen Ranger :confused:

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm afraid you can't cheat or SK yourself out of this one, and the only way to regain your ranger status in-game is by completing the ranger stronghold quests. On the bright side, you can now dual into any fighter/x class, and with a ranger's high starting stats that should be interesting. Downside, there's no fix for this. You either reload or use Near-infinity.

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What happens? DO I lose any abilities/skills/spells? Does it even matter that I'm "fallen"?

4. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think fallen rangers can't cast spells, since they're divine spells granted from some form of deity. But I'm confused - wouldn't you notice this already in game?
    Ranger abilities should also vanish, things like Stalker's hiding. You're effectively a fighter without fighter bonuses. Hopefully, ranger's armor and equipment restrictions are also gone.

5. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I stopped playing him in hopes of finding a way to "restore" him. Not sure how he will be affected in game. I didn't want to risk making things worse.
    So I started my blade back up. Never got very far with her anyway so now I'm really enjoying the game. :)

6. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yep you lose all spells and innate abilities. You become a fighter that can only specialize in weapons (two pips max per weapon proficiency) although your character still uses the ranger/paladin XP progression table for leveling, so your character also gains levels more slowly than a plain fighter.
    Dual-classing removes most of the penalties, if you try to dual-class into a thief you will become a plain fighter-thief with bizarre stats (14+ wis and very high cha if you were a paladin, for example).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  7. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I'm rolling up a new Stalker and just for fun I looked at Valygard's stats. He's an illegal character with his 11 Wisdom that is supposed to be a minimum of 14?? Cheating game. Lol.
    Or is their a good reason for it being so low?

Also what kind of armor is his Corthala family armor? It sure doesn't look like studded leather or worse?? :)

---------- Added 2 hours, 46 minutes and 46 seconds later... ----------

What would be the "best" armors to look at for a ranger / cleric?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  8. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

I guess he has an illegal wisdom because otherwise a legally rolled character with identical stats and race/class would be able to wear his armour! This way there's an illegally-achievable requirement (maximum of 11 Wisdom), so no legally-made character can wear his armour. I've not checked his armour, so this is just a hopefully plausible hypothesis.

As far as I recall it's not classified as an armour "type", as such, though I'd imagine it's a combination of leathers, studs and chain (kinky), and highly enchanted.

Cleric/Ranger multiclass should be aiming for the same armour as a Fighter/kit, Fighter/Cleric or Fighter/Druid: Plate Mail, and the heavier and more enchanted the better! Early on there're a couple of Full Plate +1s sitting around on various tired enemies' shoulders, best relieve them of it asap. Later in SoA you can get Red Dragon Scale, Gorgon Plate +4, T'rahcie's Plate +5 (both the latter double up perfectly for serving dinner) and Armor of the Hart. Finally much later, if/when you reach ToB, you should be changing your tactics: everybody and their grandmother will be spanking your ass regardless of Armour Class, so you need to start pumping up the damage resistances instead. A high-level C/R has some of the best DR buffs, as he can resist up to 25% of ALL DAMAGE types with his Armor of Faith spell, can take the Hardiness HLA for a further 40% resistance to physical damage, and can wield the Defender of Easthaven in the off-hand for 20% more physical resistance, totalling a whopping 85% of all physical damage just totally ignored! Slam on your Iron Skins for tanking, power up the Draw Upon Holy Might for 25's in Str, Dex and Con, Greater Whirlwind for 10 attacks per round, Globe of Blades for extra damage-dealing, pull out your Flail of the Ages +5 and you are pretty much a maelstrom of destruction and invincibility. Or you can summon Devas and cause Implosions for even more damage and destruction!

On the other hand, if you're dual-classing from a Stalker to a Cleric, and you want to keep the hiding/back-stabbing abilities going once you recover the Stalker levels, you'll need a different strategy. Notable armours for such a build: Shadow Dragon Scale, Night's Gift +5, and eventually Grandmaster's Armor +6 or Studded Leather of Thorns +6. However this build will not be as viable for tanking, except through Iron Skins or later in ToB by increasing DR as explained above.

9. khelban12 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Greetings and sorry for the late reply. Besides the alignment change, you also need to remove the effects that give you the fallen status and re-grant the kit bonuses.

You can but it is not very straightforward. I tested it with my Archer run and could restore him using SK and DLTCEP (i used dltcep to remove the "fallen" flag but maybe it can be done using SK).

My Archer lost Spells, Stealth, Called Shots and other Kit bonuses so essentially everything.

Let me mention some rough steps. I used my Archer save but the procedure should be almost the same.

First copy your save game to a new one in case something happens. For example copy the directory 000000015-Stalker to 000000016-TestFallen.

Now, create a new stalker and when Imoen opens your cage use SetCurrentXp to level him to the level your fallen character has and save the game with some name.

Forget this scratch save for now and open the TestFallen save in ShadowKeeper. In the characteristics tab change the alignment to whatever it was.

In the Innate tab, you will notice that you have all your HLAs like Greater Whirlwind and stuff but no kit abilities. Press the "kit" button and apply the stalker kit abilities for as many levels as your character has. Now that the kit abilities are ok, count all the innate abilities and HLAs that you have and go left to the Memorization tab.

The priest spells should correctly mention how many spells you can cast but the innate number will probably account only for your HLAs. Increase it to the number you calculated.

Now go to the Affects tab. There you will read some "Disable button" effects that are applied by some spells. My Archer had the spells SPCL234(disable spells), SPCL235(disable turn undead), SPCL351(disable stealth). Delete these effects to restore the ranger abilities.

At this point, your character has all the ranger abilities, all the kit abilities but not the kit bonuses. For example, my Archer will have the called shots but not the +1 to hit and damage he gets every some levels.

I can tell you which effects the stalker kit uses (backstab, 20% stealth, etc) but the easiest way to apply them is to open the new scratch stalker you created and copy-paste them from there.

The SK part is done so save the game. If you load the save in BG2 you will notice that you have every ability but the character is still mentioned as "Fallen Stalker". Now it is DLTCEP time.

Run DLTCEP, go to the settings menu and disable the "read-only" flag. We need to modify our game so go to the edit menu and choose "game (gam)". There, click on the "external game" button, navigate to the save game produced by SK (for example "TestFallen (edited 001)") and open the baldur.gam file.

It will probably say that the game contains errors but it will load it fine. Click "Edit PC" and on the left you will see the field "Class Flags". It will probably have the value C00. If you open the pull-down menu you will notice that C00 is the sum of 800 (Exportable) and 400 (Fallen Ranger).

The default flag for PC character is 0x0800 but it didn't work when i tried it. When i tried 0x0000 (Normal) the Fallen flag was correctly removed so change it to 0x0000. Click Exit (or Press Esc) and DLTCEP will ask you if you want to keep the changes. Keep them and click on "Save Game As" and again navigate to the save game directory and overwrite the baldur.gam file. Now your character will correctly appear as Stalker and not as Fallen.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  10. MrMermaid

khelban, is this a sound method for having a permanently Fallen Ranger/Paladin that still has the usual special abilities? I.e., skip the second step involving DLTCEP. I like the sound of that, and it would fit my usual evil game. :) I think the Cleric/Ranger should be included in the ultimate multi-player-created power-gaming party, but I like to role-play evil and kill a lot of innocents (and face off against the waves of Flaming Fist in Part I, and Cowled Enforcers in Part II), so that usually rules out the C/R.

11. Paracelsi

Media:
    AFAIK whether a ranger/cleric can fall or not depends entirely on how old your game is. In older game versions (like mine) rangers/clerics are unaffected by reputation loss/alignment changes. ;)

The newer versions though (anthologies with fixpacks, etc) comes with its own rules and you end up turning into some weird fighter/ranger combination if your reputation drops or if your alignment changes.

Edit:
    Btw, as it turns out the very first version of the game allowed cleric/rangers to fall. Then they changed it for some reason.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  12. khelban12 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I haven't tested if the stripping of abilities is a one-time event or it is applied at every level up (or every reputation change) even if you are already fallen.

If there is a "if not fallen -> strip abilities" check then what you want will work.

13. MrMermaid

I've just checked on my game, and apparently my Cleric/Ranger can't become fallen! It must be a bug of the form that Paracelsi described, as I'm not playing from the latest GoG version, but instead from an older DVD version. Very strange. Still, now I can make the ultimate party! :D

14. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I noticed last night as I was experimenting that if you change your class FROM a Stalker to a dif class that you wont become a Fallen Stalker even if your alignment changes :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.