1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Dungeon Siege worth $9.99

Discussion in 'Playground' started by The Great Snook, Aug 31, 2003.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just saw it at CompUSA for $9.99 and I'm curious if it is worth it. I
    have been a big fan of all the infinity engine games, Wizardry 8, and I am
    also a big fan of Diablo and Diablo 2.

Does the game have a thriving online community like D2 or is it mainly a
    single player game.

All comments are appreciated

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow! I just saw it in CompUSA for $29.99 still, and it came out quite a while ago. For that price, I say get it - no brainer. It's a blast to play. Both the single and multiplayer are great, though I've only played the multiplayer briefly. It's really the best of both worlds. Imagine playing Diablo in the Neverwinter Nights engine, with a party of up to 8 characters. Kicks ass. :D

The game is not much in the way of roleplaying; pretty much hack and slash. But if you like Diablo then you probably don't care. Character development is based on skills instead of classes (ie you use the bow a lot, your archery skill goes up; cast magic a lot, you become a battle mage, etc.). Very fun game, beautiful graphics. Not the best game I've ever played, but it certainly is up there.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Worth $9.99??! It isn't worth ****!

Truly the game is THAT bad.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Death Rabbit, try playing Diablo without the skill-point system or the items (or spells). Then you get Dungeon Siege. After you have tested DS for a few hours, you will know what it will be for the rest of the game. :(

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I think it is pretty much a waste of time, next to Diablo2. Yeah yeah. its that cool 3D graphics. But well. That is it. The game is good for Simple clicking and getting stronger, if you want some kick back time for your brain in a rushed life.

If you do deside to give it a try, buy it through Sorcerers Place to help run the place. At least then it won't be a total loss. :D
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/index.php

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2017
  6. Blast Skeleton Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I've finished Diablo 2 like 15 times (x5 Acts)before it got boring.
    I've finished Dungeon Siege only once and i don't think i will play it again. :eek:
    It has superb graphics and gameplay (Diablo2 ripoff + up to 8 party members), but unlike aforementioned game, enemies don't respawn.
    So if you finish the game, it's over; unless you export your party and continue online. ;)

7. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

There are expansions for it, besides, mindless killing is cool.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Dungeon Siege is a good game, not very deep etc. but its a fun an entertaining game

9. dshadow Gems: 8/31

It was entertaining for the first hour and the graphics were certainly eye-catching, but there was next to nothing in the way of gameplay here. See an enemy, kill it, see another enemy, kill it... That's about the size of it.

No depth, no storyline, no interaction with other characters beyond a default message. Probably more interesting to play than NWN but it can't hold the candle to the likes of BG.

10. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I've actually managed to complete the game recently, and have to say I'm slightly more impressed than I was with Diablo II (I gave up on that a third of the way through).

But for any kingdom to have their roads pass through obscure dungeons they deserve every problem they get. The game only gives a reasonable (or vaguely resonable at any rate) expalination for one of the dungeon crawls to get to the next location.

If I'dspent £6or7 on this I'd have considered it a poor purchase, although at that price I'd have been buying on a could be good or bad and hope something turns out good. Thankfully I borrowed the game not bought it.

11. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

diablo 2 was fun for a while...then everyone started hacking.

anyways dungeon siege is a blast if you play it with a friend over lan. no lag like you get on the zone and you dont have to mess with the firewall settings if you have one.me and 3 friends had alot of fun playing it multiplayer for about a month and then the cd messed up.

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, you can all EAT me! I stand by my recommendation. :cool:

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It's a win/win situation, even if the game should suck. For THAT kinda money it's not a very big risk to take.

14. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I've played through Dungeon Siege twice, and I've started for the third time. I'd got bored of Diablo 2 by the third act.

The reason to get Dungeon Siege is for the graphics. The battle in Dragon's Rathe and the final battle are beautifully displayed, and I think that it was worth the £30 I paid for it. Great game, class act, brilliant buy, etc.

15. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Dungeon Siege is a HARDCORE kombat game. Like Diablo1 or 2 or Icewind Dale.

And then some.

There's a tiny little bit of story which really isn't terrible, it's just not anything that Disney or Salvatore hasn't already published. It's really like a refined Neverwinter Nights engine, more than an Infinity. It's three dimensional, and the camera does a very good job of keeping the monsters and your party in the visible area. The only problem is when you are *entering* a dungeon or residence, and at the crest, the camera hides everything; basically, don't try to sneak and peek through the dungeon entrance, and you'll be alright. In or out, pick one.

It is overtly kombat intensive; unless you're a hardcore kombatant, you'll get your fill about chapter 3, and start cheating from there. It's interface is excellent; fine tuned and user friendly. You can make anything to anything, and let the enemy sweat the details. There's sixteen times sixteen weapons and armour and spells, so if you're an inventory freak, you WILL find a small bit of heaven. You can have something like 8 followers, including a donkey (who's inventory is quite a bit larger than the normal NPC's).

The game engine is tweaked and fluid, and with a Ti4200 (overclocked to around 295/595), it is silky smooth at 1600x1200x32@75hz. The music is fairly decent, and the atmosphere isn't outstanding, but it's not bad at all. You will feel like you're in a dungeon, but don't expect any kind of heart pounding/sweating.

It's worth $9.99.

16. dshadow Gems: 8/31

One thing I always found annoying about it is how easy it is to get lost. The game world is massive and the map displays such a tiny portion of it that it's difficult to know where you need to go. I think I spent more time trying to find my way than anything else.

17. ettercap Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

18. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just started playing myself, and I've got to ask ...

Is there a way to get custom avatars for the character you're playing?

When I tried to create a male character, the guy always looks like some sort of dumb Klingon brute no matter what you do with the Hair or Head options.

It was worth it to me to create a girl character to avoid looking like that for the rest of the game.

19. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Dungeon Siege is a terrible game. The fact that this game is being backed by Microsoft gets the game itself much publicity and even more good words from magazines and game sites.

There is no way to custom your avatar. It is like voting under a dictatorship, you can vote but you have no choice; you can make changes but there is little options.

i have no problem about the story. i celebrate Diablo as much as i celebrate Baldur's Gate. The essence of a game is its gameplay, the process of playing the game.

In either Diablo or Baldur's Gate, you are given a chance to craft your characters. Especially in Diablo2, make a search in gamefaqs.com and you will see a great portion of faqs are devoted to character building. Character building is a very fun and interesting process. It is in this process that test your intelligence. We all compete about the character we built. With the ability to control how our character grow, we can play a sorcerer with a melee start and a magic end.

In Dungeon Seige, this process is taken away. The gamer becomes a puppet of its game. Sure, we can decide how to play our character in order to build our character, but, to me, this is a very bad idea. At the start of the game, severely lacking spell scroll, a sorceress have to hack her way to the first village. The gives her a strong fighter start. Well, that is her start and that will be her end as well. Without a strong start, this sorceress simply cannot use her magic to fight her way beyond first village.

Playing Diablo, controlling the character, switching between skills and spells, running this character around give you all the excitement for playing the game. Playing Baldur's Gate, laying out your formation, deciding your spell sequence, playing your battle strategy give you all the acomplishment for playing the game. What does the combat in Dungeon Seige gives you? Nothing. You control nothing, you do nothing, you get nothing.

Dungeon Seige is an insult to a gamer's intelligence. 9.99? Why should they put this game in shelves anyway?

20. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Buy it, then sell it to a buddy (or better yet, someone you hate) for 20 bucks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.