1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jaheira Romance WARNING

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Slappy, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Just a quick not to warn all the other sad people like me who became obsessed with Jaheira and the romance. With the help of a number of tips and the use of CLUAConsole to check the Romance rating, I did manage to complete the romance - ahhh so sweet.

Anyway, like many others, I became sadly besotted with Jaheira but......

Today while preparing for some mind flayers, I changed her helmet and armour around. This is the first time I've seen her 'nude' since the start of the game and god is she (if you are of a sensative nature and really feel for Jaheira do not read on)
    ugly. Terrible shock. So be warned, unless you are prepared to use shadowkeeper or other 'cheats' to change the charcater model and have fallen for Jaheira, for your own sake, keep her helmet on.

You have been warned.

Mind you the portrait is still nice (though I use the one from BG1).

2. Jefe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I think all the female paper dolls are hideous. But, as a friend of mine is fond of saying. . . 'They all look the same w/ the lights off.'

May I ask where you found the tips to finish the romance? I've been up and down these boards just trying to find out if you can complete it, but I've had no luck.

Also-CLAU console?

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31

OK here goes (what am I letting myself in for here). The Jaheira romance is a complete bitch to complete (just like the woman herself if you get in her bad books). I don't know if there is an easy guide to completing it in any of the guides on this site, hopefully Taluntain will correct me on that. I got my info from a number of BG sites and a lot by searching this forum using 'Jaheira' and 'romance'.

The points to keep in mind are:

- It takes ages (sometimes you think its hung and then she starts speaking again for no apperent reason)
    - It is very sensative to a number of key events and triggers in the game.
    - It runs in real (sitting at the computer time) as well as in-game time.
    - She gets jealous very easily (if you have the other women in the group eventually you will be asked to choose - often you try and be diplomatic and that simply isn't good enough for the lovely (with helemt on) Jaheira)

Anyway to help with some of this stuff you can use the console. For information on how to access this (and cheats) look at this site at: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_tips.php

At the console type CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("Lovetalk","LOCALS") while holding the mouse pointer over Jaheira's (or any romancee's) portrait. Press return and the console will show you their romance rating. In Jaheira's case you want to get this up to 70 eventually. Anyway, this command helps to make sure things are still moving by checking it occasionally (it normally increases by 1 or 2 after a dialogue with her).
    You can also type: CLUAConsole:SetGlobal(“JaheiraRomance”,”GLOBALS”,1) after you have completed a dialogue. The JaheiraRomance is a variable that is used to count down the time to the next dialogue (setting it to 1 apperently speeds things up - but I'm not fully convinced).
    Finally, in desperation you can use: CLUAConsole:SetGlobal(“LoveTalk”,”LOCALS”,XX) which sets your love talk to a given rating, where XX is a number. (So if you really blow it you can set it to 70 but I don't know what other unexpected affects this might have).

OK, next bit. If one of your problems is caused by the jealousy factor you could try using the Romance hack. Again available from this very site at: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_editors.php

OK and now the triggers - MAJOR SPOILER - and please feel free to correct me on this, I'm working from memory (and everyone on the chat room knows I'm nearly senile). Firstly you must take on the Harper quests - that's bring the poisonied man to the building in the docks, help Xxan (I think his name is)the wizard in the docks and deal with the rogue mages. You will also need to complete the Jaheira curse quest and buy her the little keep-sake from the big boned bald trader in the docks. When you are challenged by harpers, always try and be nice and supportive and do everything you can not to kill them (eventually you do have to kill some). When Jaheira dissapears for a second time go looking for her upstairs in the harper hold. During the dialogues try and be supportive and balanced (she's a Druid and a Harper). Later on a joke can cheer her up too.

Other points - I tried to use up as much real time as possible to help the quest along. i.e. don't rest your party or jump to distant map locations before you need to as some of the romance triggers are based on games time while some are based on real time. If you keep resting to speed things up you won't allow the real time triggers to kick in (be patient). Towards the end, I used to leave the PC switched on with the game on pause, while I was doing other stuff (you know eating, washing, non-games things) to help pass real time. It also does seem to help if you rest outside (though not always essential) as Jahiera loves her trees.

And finally - one other key event that causes lots of problems for people. A bloke called Dermin keeps turing up later in the romance and, if you kill him before the romance rating has reached 53, the romance stalls (time for CLUA Console). There used to be a patch for this but I think its dissapeared (correct me here someone).

And finally, finally, if you do play around with any of these setting make sure you keep regular saves as backups - you can never be too sure. To be really scared, see my post about save game bugs (did Jaheira affect this - probably not but don't sue me if it does)

PS. I brushed over all of the sub-quests here but you can download walkthroughs from this site and search the forum for specific help on these. Hope this is useful, and please point out the mistakes - I'm working from (bad) memory here.
    PPS. if you do complete it, you get to meet a very dear old friend.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  4. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Elminster!
    Love his pointy hat!

5. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Hope it isn't some kind of doppleganger, like the one you meet in BG1!

6. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Just a quick Amendment to my earlier post - I think you might need to do the Jaheira Curse, then get the locket BEFORE you start the Harper's quest by working for Xann to resuce Montoron (Names spelling - I need a Helmet of increased brain activity and memory +20)

7. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hey Slappy- Xzar and Montaron. :D

8. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

The locket thing isn't really necessary for the romance. But it's only possible if the romance is active so you can use it for that purpose. And of course it's a nice gesture...

It is however necessary to sleep outdoors a couple of times. So if nothing happens for a while try that.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I noticed a funny thing: When you pause the game for, lets say, 5 minutes to get a coffee or a pizza - it is very likely that a conversation will pop up after unpausing ;) this can even happen when you do so in a fight :D

10. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] With ref. Xsar and Montaron I noticed montaron's body in Shadowkeeper. Does this mean you can find it so that the assasain doesn't get Xsar? If so - where is he?

11. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yes, Ragusa that's how it works. Some events are triggered by days passing in the game (like Dermin will show up x days after event y) and some (dialogues mostly) are triggered by "real" time spent gaming.

About Montarons body, I seem to recall finding it in one of the chests upstairs. But I don't think it is possible to open that chest before you've delivered the bird.

Also take a look at this quote:
    <QUOTE>

Some clarifications of some common misconceptions:

1) the locket thing where you buy a locket with Jaheira's picture in it in the Docks has nothing to do with
    the progression of the romance. It can only happen, however, if the romance is active.

2) the harper plot (where Jaheira gets summoned by the Harpers, ultimately leaves them, and then the ultimate
    question of her Harper status is determined) is not necessarily part of the romance plot. It is inserted into
    the overall romance scheme if you have it going, but all that is required is that Jaheira be in your party and
    you've completed the Xzar/Montaron sub-quest for it to begin.

3) the bandit plot IS part of the romance plots, as your feelings for Jaheira are tested. It is inserted before
    the harper plot, so the harper plot will be delayed until the bandit plot is played out.

I think that's it. Jaheira's plot is the most complex as it has numerous preconditions before it continues on
    in several cases, but it's not as bad as some seem to think.

David Gaider
    Design, Bioware corp

<END-QUOTE>

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Montaron's body is in one of the chests, but only after Xzar is killed. I opened all the chests the first time in the building, and I found Monty's body in a chest I had opened previously when I went back after being duped.

13. Slappy Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I seem to remember someone else comenting about how often the women seem to start a romance dialogue during, or just after a fight. I think the theory is that they are all a bit S&M and get caught up in all the excitement of hot sweaty armour clad bodies. Seems perfectley viable for Viconia and Jaheria but I can't see it with Aerie. Mayb she just realises that she nearly died so decides it time to get things moving romatically....

14. Jefe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Sorry about the delay. Slappy. . . HUGE thanks, that was a bungload of work. I appreciate it.
    RE: S&M girlfriends: Arie does start whining about wanting to experience everything. If that is what she is into, she should see Shura's comment about *stabbing everyone discreetly in the ass w/ knives*

15. Slappy Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Thanks for the thanks Jefe.

I always thought Aeire was far too sweet for the 'knife trick' - you've just shattered a dream.

16. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

What was it that Factol Erin Montgomery said again?

"Smell it. Feel it. Taste it. Hit it."

[This message has been edited by Rakanishu (edited March 14, 2001).]

17. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Nah, not my type.
    She can go use knives on herself.

18. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] if you finish the romance, you get a necklace, what does it do?
    is it worth waiting?

19. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Jaheira gets a Harper pin that only she can wear. It is worn in the necklace slot and to quote the in game stuff:

"A Harper Pin is a treasured item, signifying that the bearer is an honored and trusted member of the Harpers. It grants the wearer exceptional protection against many different kinds of attacks. They are not attuned to any particular person, but you would be hard pressed to find someone that would lend such an item or even let it out of their sight. It is quite literally a badge of honor.

STATISTICS

Equipped Abilities:
    +5 bonus on saves vs. spells
    Non-Detection
    Immune to Magic Missile
    100% Resistance to Electricity"

20. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

If I have to romance that b***h to get the pin, they can bloody well keep it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.