1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looting PLEASE help!!!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by meatypetey, Jan 2, 2008.

1. meatypetey Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Bought ToEE some years ago. Tried to play but bugs made itnot worth the time. I recently pulled it off the shelf after seing the patches that are available and installed the game. Here's the problem: Cannot loot. OK. Tried patch 3 from Atari and other websites and now the game won't load. Re-run patch 2 and the games loads but then can't loot dead bodies. I'm going crazy with this. Can anybody please help me fix this? P.S. I also tried the unofficial patch and got the same results. I like the idea of controlling an NPCs inventory and not having an X.P. cap. Is there a way to resolve all this easily?

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    One workaround is to enter combat mode (press 'c') to loot dead bodies.

The Co8 patch definitely fixes looting if it is installed properly, but this can become quite complicated for some users depending on what version of the game you own. e.g., some versions come pre-packaged with the official patches, and some of those patches contain the .dll file (the one that is altered to fix the looting bug) bundled in the executable file, which essentially causes our modified .dll to not be used. There are in turn ways around this, but it's all quite complicated.

If your executable is larger than 2 MB in size, then you likely have the version with the .dll bundled inside of it.

If you're not interested in getting that involved with all of this, the combat mode workaround is probably your best/only option.

Good luck.

3. meatypetey Gems: 1/31

Looting PLEASE Help

Thanx Gaear!!! That really helped. Unfortunately I'm still having other issues. Last night I started the game and couldn't open doors (pointer becomes a hand when you mouse over). I had to rerun patch 1 and nothing happened. Then patch 2 (same result) Then patch 3 and 1 then 3 and 2. Didn't work. Got to work the other night when it happened but not last night. So I decided to try Co8 patch 4.0.0. That got the "door" bug fixed, but I still can't loot without using the combat workaround. I considered what you mentioned about the dll. files you mentioned and figured that since I bought the game early (before the patches) that it did NOT have them prebundled. What I don't understand is why that didn't fix the looting bug and my problems with the doors. I've read the description about 5.0.0 final and decided it's not for me. Personaly, I'd like to keep the game (for now anyway) basic; as it was written without all the extra "stuff". I don't have anything against it, I'd just like to play it through the way it was written and then try again with all the extras a second time. Besides, the downloading of those mods seems pretty complicated and there is no suggestion as to where to save those files when you do download them (Temporary Folder? C:bad:Programs\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil?) Any ideas?

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Depends on the file, but pretty much all of them have instructions either on the site or in the zip/rar itself. If there's an executable inside it doesn't matter where you unpack the file, as it can be run from anywhere.

5. Gaear

Media:
    @meatypetey -

If you're still seeing the looting bug it's possible you may have downloaded an Atari patch that has the .exe bundled in it as well. Either that or you still don't have our patch installed correctly. The best thing for you to do is consult our Downloads forum at Co8:

http://www.co8.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

In that forum, at the top, is a sticky thread called "Comprehensive ToEE Installation Instructions by Zebedee." Follow the instructions therein to the letter, including redownloading the Atari patches (1 & 2) from the links provided. Since you're using Co8 4, simply substitute it for Co8 5 when it is referenced in step 5 of that thread. Then ignore step 6 (it involves beta mods).

It may also be in your best interest to track down a no-cd crack for the patch 2 version of ToEE. We don't have any moral qualms about recommending this, because some people's games simply won't work without them. That said, we tend to refrain from supplying any links to these cracks. But they can be easily Googled.

If you're downloading one of our modpacks, what you're actually downloading is an installation utility. So as Taluntain says, it doesn't matter where you save it to. The easiest thing to do is just save it to your desktop and run it (the installer) from there.

Good luck.

6. bushmins Gems: 1/31

I also have this problem with opening doors and looting. I have done the following:

Install game
    Install patch 2
    Install Co8

BUT although im running the game through the front end im not selecting Co8 module. Does this mean the Co8 looting bug fix wont be used?
    If i install official patch 3 the game will not run (reinstalling patch 2 sorts this out).

Is there anything else i can download (so i can keep my old saves from playing original) to fix the loot bug?

7. Gaear

Media:
    Yes.

To my knowledge the only solutions for the looting bug are Atari Patch 3 (if it happens to work), our modpack, or using an old OS like Windows ME.

8. bushmins Gems: 1/31

OK. Thanks.

9. bushmins Gems: 1/31

I just tried the 'Moebius's latest temple.dll' (From here http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/ToEE/index_misc.php). I only put the temple.dll file into the main ToEE dir.
    This fixes the loot bug, but im not sure what else this file does. There are other files within this 'Mobius' download but i did not add them to the main ToEE dir.

Does anyone know what changes just the temple.dll file will make? There is a read me but im not sure if all the changes it says are contained within the temple.dll or in the other files that come in the download.

10. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I can't make a list because I don't know exactly what the changes are, but I clearly remember the DLL file only fixing bugs and glitches. I'm pretty sure it adds no new content (quests, areas, NPCs, etc), so if you want bugfixes without changing the game in any other way this is probably better than getting the full Co8 mod. Do keep in mind that many bugs fixed by the full mod are not fixed the temple.dll, so you'll still come across some issues.

11. Gaear

Media:
    Just be aware that use of the modified .dll file only is at your own risk, as we son't support that configuration. It was never intended to operate that way. The best alternative in this case would be to install and use our version 3.0.4 modpack, which was the first release to contain the .dll and also coincidentally contains the smallest amount of new content, being as it's fairly outdated (circa 2004 or so). As Ziad says, you'll be missing out on a variety of other bugfixes with this as well though.

12. bushmins Gems: 1/31

Thanks for all the help. Im good with what i have done so far. Seems as though i can switch between the temple.dll mod and the official patch 2 one with no problems with my saves at the moment.

Great game though, ive put my first trip through IWD on hold for this. As soon as im done with ToEE original campaign i hope to give your new ToEE world a go.

13. allyx Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The extra files with moebius2778's .dl fixes the -511 magic missile bug and a few other issues, there is no new content involved at all with that mod.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.