1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Man, Firkraag is EASY!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Melkhior, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Melkhior Guest

[​IMG] Everybody keeps asking for help in beating Firkraag up. Why!?
    He is incredibly easy! I used one three traps with Jan. ( It´s cowardly to use
    more, like sleeping and set traps again. )
    Then I took Lower Resistance once, with Edwin. At the same time, I used magic missiles with jan and started attacking him with my undead hunter, korgan and minsc while Viconia stood back healing. If somebody died, I used ressurection scrolls and got them out of the fighting range. In a short while ( perhaps 5-10 min ) he was stone dead. My character and npc´s were at lv.9 and this was my first time killing him in a group. ( I´ve killed him soloing too )
    Why does people have prob. with firkraag?

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] It took 5-10 minutes? That qualifies as a good fight in my eyes. Using traps against dragons is IMO cheesy, but it looks like you could have handled the fight anyway.

Some say dragons are too easy, some say too hard (mostly beginners), it comes down to what you expect.
    How many monsters in BG2 are tougher than Firkraag? Kangaxx and maybe one or two more. Is Irenicus tougher than Firkraag? He ought to be, since he's the bad guy of the adventure.

3. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Nah using only 3 traps isn't that cheesy. Another much easyer way to kill him is to lower his resistance and use finger of death/flesh to stone/desintagrate. That's what I did when soloing a sorcerer.

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

If he's easy to kill or not depends on what level you beat him.. when it's too easy, try it next time when you're at lvl 9/10 and it will be hard enough.

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The problem with using those spells (except finger of death) of course is that you will prpbably lose any loot the creature is carrying. So it's not really the best way to deal with a dragon. Also they all run the risk of not working (like many spell) as the dragon might save against them (lower risitance does not lower saving throws). Finally you don't get finger of death until the wizard is at level 14, which isn't much use for the level 9 party Melkhior is bragging about. In fact at level 9 you don't get any of the spells you mention.

Anyway, for more views on killing the dragon, have a look here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000566.html
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001614.html
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001832.html

6. Melkhior Guest

Headbanger: I was lv9. read what I wrote :) "My character and npc´s were at lv.9 and this was my first time killing him in a group. ( I´ve killed him soloing too )"

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sheesh... Here we go again... You people crack me up!

Firkraag was easy! All I had to do was heal and resurrect all the people he killed!

If a monster is easy, why do you have to resurrect your party? Why do you have to heal them? I guess the meaning of easy is different for you and me... :)

8. Melkhior Guest

Hey, Blackthorne TA... My pally could take yer wimphole character anytime. The reason I had to ressurect one of them (Jan) was because I hadn´t slept once since I entered the ruin.
    Eat that, turnip hating scum!

(btw, it was Jan Jansen who killed the dragon. hmmmmmmmmmmmm... I wonder if he has a new story to tell people. He´ll tell everyone that he slayed the dragon by himself..gaah! I gotta go stop him!
    c ya!

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

HEY MELKHIOR!!!

BTA didn't make a personal attack on Your Paladin or any other of Your characters. He just made it clear that You and He have different opinions on what an easy battle is.

If I would design a list from Your statements could it or would it be:

Goblins, gnolls etc: Hilariously Easy

Mephits, carrion crawlers etc: Immensely Easy

Stone golems, drow fighters etc: Extremly easy

Mummies, Umber hulks etc: Very easy

Clay golems, Mind flayers: too easy.

Liches, dragons etc: EASY!!

I'll Just waste my 7 faces here: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited June 04, 2001).]

10. Melkhior Guest

ok, ok... whatever.

11. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I soloed the entire game with a gnome illusionist (int=14, str and con=3) who was nude and never learned a spell over level 2.

I killed the red dragon on my first try without casting a spell or summoning a monster.

I finished the whole game in 20 minutes.

I rock dude!!!!!

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Hey I don't believe You!! You cant play Nude :p :D :D

13. Melkhior Guest

eehm. That might just have been the sickest conversation I´ve ever heard on this board.
    eh.. uh.. no comments . . .

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think Cotman was trying to be sarcastic.

On the whole "easy" thing - WHO CARES!!! I play these games because they are fun. If one or two battles prove to be anti-climatic, I move on. If the whole game is easy or un-amusing, I drop it for a better game (or for a real-life activity!)

I wonder if saying that the dragon is easy is kind of like a high school kid bragging that a cheerleader is easy. The only real purpose is to make him look cool.

BTW - this isn't a personal attack on anyone, really! Its just pent up frustration over: 1) the number of "Blank foe is easy" posts, and 2) the lack of easy cheerleaders that I encountered in High School.

15. ayecapitan Guest

O'course, now dragons are easy fer everyone... We all read enough spoilers, exploited the game to the point where everything is easy even for a 1st level transmuter.
    Dragons were hard indeed fer people who had played this game when it was just out and who had never seen anything more powerful than a lvl10 fighter in their way (from bg1, o'course).
    Maybe the first topics about killing the famed Thaxll and Firkraag would be indeed interesting, cos noone actually new all the ways, and maybe there people said those were hard... but now... :

16. Melkhior Guest

ayecapitan. Are you blind? I just wrote that I didn´t do like others! In that case, I would have used only traps, cloudkill & so on. but I didn´t.

17. ayecapitan Guest

Like others?
    Um, what kind of others would use traps & cloudkill to kill a dragon? (btw, ye DID use traps :)) 'Tis branded as an unhonourable way... I've nothing again yer way, but in me opinion, 'easy' does not include yer chars dieing. AND, my point was not that ye're wrong, but that everyone knows how to kill a dragon, and everyone knows that they be easy, esp fer you...

18. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I must be a really bad player because I think I only ever killed one dragon without reloading several times. As far as my tactics go, well, just hack away with fighters, quaff potions, cast spells and pray for healing. The one dragon that I killed straight away would be regarded as cheating, or at least cheap by many seasoned BG players - I used a quivering palm attack and it actually worked for once.

I think if you sat down and practiced your tactics and memorized what every spell does and timed your melee attacks perfectly and had really good weapons and maybe used cheap cowardly strategies and knew what to expect and told a few white lies - then the dragons would be 'easy' to kill.

There are those of us who just play the game for rp enjoyment, and not to see how fast and easily we can vanquish a foe. It's always easy to beat a dead horse.

Hey Mathetais - Future Pastoral Businessmen shouldn't be scoping for easy cheerleaders anyway ;)

19. Melkhior Guest

Ayecapitan: When I´m reading about how people kill dragons they encounter, they always say that cloudkill and traps amongst other things is the best and easiest way of slaying ´em. Now, I used one (ONE) one! set of trappings. But that didn´t matter, I´d have slain him anyhow.
    Lord Moeken: That´s pretty much what I did too. (Hacking and slashing that is...) but I had my tactics since I´ve beaten him up once before, playing solo. (alot harder) That might be why it felt so easy to slay him.
    And why do people sound angry when they write back to me on this topic? :cool:
    well, at least I´ve got some answers and I thank you for that.

20. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yes yes...dragons are easy, when you rush them with your overstuffed high level party!
    It could be easy with a stand of 6 to 1. Try it with your main character alone! I have succeded only once with my sorcerer. Fighters can't finish them at all!
    They're awesome beasts, I say! Respect them!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.