1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots as well as access many other forum features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a truly friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this excellence is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today and convince yourself!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.

My playthru of TOEE/Co8

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by WickedPrince, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Paracelsi

Paracelsi ★ SPS Account Holder Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wouldn't recommend it, wizards get the feat for free IIRC. You could just hire an NPC wizard to do that for you.

2. WickedPrince Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hmmmm, perhaps having Zaxis take scribe scroll to generate gold would work. I could burn his XP down to closer to everybody else and then pay for Meleny's crafting that way. I'll test if I can make gold that way.

That turned out to be a bust too. Cure Mod cost 75 and sold for slightly more than 50.

3. Paracelsi

Paracelsi ★ SPS Account Holder Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Your appraise needs to be maxed (at your level) to pull that off, and some scrolls are more expensive than others. Don't forget that Appraise is also an INT skill, not CHA.

4. WickedPrince Gems: 3/31

Well my rogue is my appraise spec, she maxes it and her Int is her second highest ability. It just wasn't benefiting me to bother trying to sell any crafted items.

5. Paracelsi

Media:
    Try crafting a wizard spell scroll instead and selling them to Burne. You actually get selling higher prices from certain NPCs, usually the ones who would be interested in the item you're trying to sell.

6. WickedPrince Gems: 3/31

Inspire Competence improved the sale value of Cure Mod to 54 of the 75 it cost to create.

--

Ah ha, that worked. Got about 109 for a 75 gp Invisibility scroll from Burne's vender, good call. So that plan could work, and it would let me toss out some cure scrolls for a few key fights too.

--

This makes me wonder if there isn't a vendor who would buy the stat enhancement items at a better price. But this is a good go.

And while I'm at it, thanks for taking the time to explain it to me until it sunk in. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2017 at 2:16 AM
  7. Paracelsi

Media:
    Nah you're doing a lot of this stuff on your own while I offer admittedly vague advice. :p
    It's been years since a did a full playthrough of ToEE.

8. WickedPrince Gems: 3/31

Well I had a weird idea for a group that I wanted to try based on my own strangenesses and it completely broke the standard doctrine of Fighter/Cleric/Wizard/Rogue + what-ever support character seems interesting + companions that seem interesting. I think I'll try it like this, with Zaxis crafting scrolls for fun and profit and Meleny adding Craft AnA so she can turn all the Masterwork Weapons I've been finding into elemental weapons for a bit - THEN taking Craft Wondrous for the rest of the stuff. I'm still going to have to cheat completely and console command a +2 cha cloak for Zaxis unless I decide to just adjust his charisma upwards a little bit. Either way it needs to be at least 16 before he reaches L7 and gains his 4th level spells because he doesn't gain a caster slot without it until L8. But with turning him into a scroll whore his advancement will slow down for a while. I am guessing that there's some items to be found inside the temple, but I'm trying to get as many of the peripheral quests like Grud's Fish Story done so that Ah Fong opens his masterwork Monk weapons up. I have played PnP for a long time and I'm more used to the idea of purchasing a few items like the Gauntlets of Ogre Power and so on fairly early on. Going for what is normally very expensive elemental weaponry as crafted items runs a bit counter to what I'm used to. But I could see for instance how very useful the +1 Holy Sword I got from marrying Meleny was in it's damage output - so that proved your concept of elemental weapons coming up early. Especially when they start throwing groups of four trolls and 3 willowwhisps and so on as random outdoor encounters. One part of me STILL wonders what I'd have found on those other adventurers I ran into just out of Nulb.

The wandering monsters tend to have trash for loot - if I'm lucky enough to find that even, so the adventurer's probably had the best loot to gain in the game for a wandering encounter.

I always find it amusing when they run you into a fellow adventuring group with the potential to fight them and loot them or play to your GOOD alignment and let them go.

--

Ok so here's my current self-debate: I found out that Serena's sister Riana can be recruited at the whorehouse IF you have Serena in your party and you pay for her freedom. She starts out as an L2 rogue but her charisma is higher than Zaxis so it would be feasable to multiclass her into bard. I'm trying to use the console commands to cheat as little as possible, but it might make a bit of sense to give her XP so she can level up a couple times to keep up with the rest of the group and give her 2 levels of bard right away. It will take a bit, but eventually she should end up as a better bard than Zaxis because of the higher Cha despite starting out as rogue2 and several levels behind him. I picked him up to help with the moathouse and with everything that's happened he's barely L6 at my last major save point.

Although I found a good usage of Zaxis as a scroll crafter I'm getting a bit tired of his voice and wondering if it wouldn't be a good time to off-load him. In fact I'm considering backing up all the way to when I completed the moathouse so I can collect Serena and Riana almost as soon as I get to Nulb. If I did that Riana should be well on her way to catching up to Zaxis by the time I get back to around where I am currently - exploring the Earth node level of the temple.

I am also debating if I want to dump Elmo from the party, but I'm wondering what I'd replace him with. I don't have an extra Male PC to marry Fruella and her throwing cleaver.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2017 at 4:29 PM
  9. Paracelsi

Media:
    You can simply create a level 1 PC from the inn to marry Fruella and then dump him after you get the weapon (D&D version of a greencard/cleaver wedding).

If you're going to get rid of Zaxis you might as well use up all his XP for crafting stuff.

10. WickedPrince Gems: 3/31

I figured that if I went directly from finishing off the moathouse to Nulb and got Serena and Riana then most of my party would be L4 and those two would be L3 and L2 respectively, so they'd only be slightly behind the curve. And at that point Zaxis didn't have craft scrolls yet since he was still L5. Having him burn xp on craft scrolls tho was about the only good reason to keep him. Eventually I can have Riana take Craft Scrolls though. I wonder if you can make out good on craft wands though? But Burne's apprentice only takes scrolls I presume. And the small problem with trading out a toon would be that I'd have to remove one of my current PCs to do it. It would only be a small XP loss though. I wonder tho if she's actually worth having? Or am I better off keeping Elmo and his magic gear and cleave feats?

From what I've seen is that you can't swap starting gear on the companions so that for instance you can have your Craft AnA person enchant stuff. I'd have to find another battle axe and enchant that for Elmo, and with Fruella's "Cleaver" being a unique weapon you are kinda stuck with it right? She won't trade it to you so you can enchant it correct?

11. Paracelsi

Media:
    If you can work with her personality Fruella's actually almost as good as Elmo (minus the magical gear).

Wands can be pretty expensive so that could work. Burne also accepts magical items.

12. WickedPrince Gems: 3/31

Does he give as good a prices as for scrolls?

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  14. WickedPrince Gems: 3/31

Ok, thanks for that link, it helps a lot to see who is who and what they can do and stuff. It also leaves me wondering how to arrange my next party so I can pick up some of the other interesting companions like Pishella.

So, I decided to backtrack all the way to when I finished the Moathouse, then make a run out to Nulb and grab Serena and replace Zaxis with Serena's sister Riana, who I am turning into a Rogue2/Bard2+. I figure that with her higher charisma ultimately she'll make a better bard than Zaxis once she has a few more levels under her belt. I may have her pick up craft scrolls, or maybe wands, and turn her into the party money-maker, which might sound a bit odd considering her previous career was whore. Then when Meleny reaches L6 I'll have her get Craft Arms and Armor and enchant all the Masterwork Weapons everybody is carrying.

I did have one thought. If monks can flurry with clubs, then having a monk flurry with Lareth's Club of Striking should work. I might have to try that out. But I'm not entirely sure how to tell if it's working or not.

So I managed to cajole the two frontmen for the Earth and Fire priests in Nulb into hooking me up and currently I'm running around the Earth level cleaning house of junk while working up the nerve to do the last two quests in Emrydy Meadows and the one in Imeryds Run. I'm probably close enough now to pull them off, but I'm inclined to wait another level. But completing those will get me about back to where I was. That is after I mop up the two Temple recruiters and their thieving GF. AND LOOT THEM.

And interesting bit. I ran into a fight and because Riana seemed to be having too much fun chatting with some frienemies she didn't bother to follow us to the fight, and then she couldn't get around the frienemies to join us AT the fight.

So I finally went on a rampage and killed all the frienemies on the Earth Temple level: all the bugbears and gnolls and human troops, just for the heck of it. Hopefully that doesn't come back to haunt me, but on a previous run the fights to free the prisoners got several of those mobs to attack me afterwards so I figured I'd try that again. Everybody but Elmo and Serena went up a level. Meleny made L6 and got Craft AnA and converted a bunch of masterwork weapons into +1 weapons so nearly everybody has at least one. I also did a level shift and figured out that some areas are just beyond my poor little party - right now.

Well after that entertaining mess I gained enough levels across the group that nearly

Edit: So just to resolve that issue and clear the area of undesirables I mopped up all the generic mobs in the Earth Temple, leaving the Earth Priest and his people at the center. Everybody except Elmo and Serena went up a level - which means I now have Meleny crafting arms and armor - converting all the Masterwork items in the party to +1 magic as I can afford it. I still might have to have somebody figure out Wondrous Items, but I suppose that this will have to wait until Meleny is L9. I'd hate to have HER expending all sorts of XP on crafting and end up seriously gimped though, but I don't really have much choice for anybody else as a replacement who could craft as much useful stuff. On the other hand I need a way to get THREE charisma cloaks with having two Sorcs and a Bard in the party

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017 at 11:18 AM