1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need Paladin build

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Melhisedek, Nov 20, 2006.

1. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fel: You should READ the post instead of just reacting to what you think was said. Klorox was obviously talking about BG1 (and I even put a reference to BG1 in the sentence).

And since you didn't read my previous post I'll restate what I believe the starting proficiencies for a paladin should be in BG2:
    ** two-handed sword,
    ** two handed weapon style,
    ** axe (the reason for this should be obvious to anyone who has played the game).

You don't need to calculate them, the bonuses are in the manual and on many web sites (including this one). You may want to peruse planetbaldursgate.com

2. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I have this damned BG1+2 collection that came without a paper manual (only pdf one which I have difficulties reading) but I'll check the page 134...

So you guys have played this game quite a few times :) That really speaks tons about this game. What I noticed while playing NWN2 was that I wanted to create another type of character and try to finish the game with him as well. I can imagine BGs and Planescape (which I plan on playing after BGs) are the same way :)

This time I'll bloody take notes so I don't forget everything like I use to do.

Shameful note nr1
    "I've already played BG1 to lvl 6 and I'm just outside of Baldurs Gate, but I don't remember a thing of it" (have this horrible painkilling medicine which has the side effect of making me forget stuff)

I've also played BG2 pretty far but medicine rule applies here as well :(

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

@ister: about darts and bows in BG1

A paladin will never use a shortbow since he can buy a composite bow in the prologue, so you'll have to add another 5 to the bow damage.
    And maybe even 2.5 extra damage since you can even buy a composite long bow +1, so you'll arrive at 21.25 damage per round, far more than the 14 damage you got with darts.

But you're right about darts not being that bad.
    If you are specialized in them you're also specialized with crossbows and slings.

The lower range of darts is only a small disadvantadge, but what I really don't like is that they're spent so fast and 20 of them (spent in less then 6 rounds) use an inventory slot while you can put at least 60 arrows which last 24 rounds into the ammo slots.

The extra 2 AC difference you get with a shield+1 don't even that out for me.

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

That's why, in BG1, you use a bow until you find that axe. Then, when you can add a shield, your build is complete.

In BG2, axes are good for Cavaliers especially (since they can't use missile weapons). The best kit is still Inquisitor IMO, but if you want to be really righteous, you can play a Cavalier (++ in axe, bastard sword and sword and shield style) or (++ in bastard sword, warhammer and +++ in two weapon fighting) and pick up Keldorn and build him towards ++ in two handed style. This is all assuming ToB BTW.

5. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

For stats:
    Baldur.ini -> Game Options -> Debug Mode=1 -> CTRL+8 at character creation.

For proficiencies:
    SOA
    -> ** 2H sword, ** 2H weapon style for Carsomyr, ** halberd for Harmonium Halberd / Wave +4

TOB
    -> either the above SOA profs, or
    -> ** Bastard sword, *** 2 weapon style, * whatever. Make a beeline for Watcher's Keep to pick up Foebane +3 and Purifier +4 with the intention of dual-wielding them. You can get Foebane pretty easy; use a good shield in the off-hand until you get Purifier if you're too low a level to get down that far.

6. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Oh come on, can you be any cheesier? :p

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Would you rather click Re-Roll for 2 hours till you get similar results?

8. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Oki... now I'm kinda pissed... I have this Baldurs Gate pack and the game refuses to run. It says it will only run on English language operating system...
    Is there a way around this?

9. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Are you running XP? If so it might be possible to just change the language setting to English, I'm not sure though just a possibility.

10. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Well I solved it I hope. I went on and installed international TotSC patch and now the game works flawlessly :)
    So far I've installed Fixpack 1.1 and am still deciding on what "Ease of Use" components I should install. I'm sure I'll go with stackable items and max HP, not sure about XP removers and such. Note that I'll be continuing with the same character on to the BG2... So will it create problems?

And hip-hip hurray for "Mordokai" who rolled the best darn Paladin ever ;) Thanks mate I was able to name him myself.

Now I just have to finish NWN2 and I'm golden

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    'Tisn't necessarily that bad. If you use Ctr-8 and then remove stat points until your total is close to 90, then you mimic a roll that, while being achievable, will likely take you a long time to roll. Time saved that can be used actually playing the game. I barely see this way as a cheat- more of a convenience to save time.

12. Mordokai Gems: 6/31

Actualy, yes, I would :p I find character creation one of the best part of the game, and if I have to roll for two hours to get the perfect build, so be it.

@Decados: sure, IF you remove those excess points. But the temptation may be too strong :) But, maybe it's just me, who likes rolling dices ad infinitum :p Also, it's true that I usually play the characters who have high minimal scores, such as rangers and paladins. Rolling 90+ points for a fighter or a mage is a whole different story.

13. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I'm with Mordokai, re-roll is part of the BG playing experience.

14. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I always take the time to roll my stats. When I finally get that uber roll, I appreciate my character all the more because of the extra effort it took to get my final stats.

15. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I also agree with the previous posters. Rolling great stats oneself is fun.

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Playing with realistic stats is even more fun than pumping them up to artificial degrees. ;)

And many things work with paladins. I remember having a cavalier with single weapon style, 16 STR (you get belts and gloves anyway), some 14-15 DEX and maybe 12 CON.

17. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Heh. One playthrough, I rolled my stats with real dice, then recreated them in the game. :)

18. Anjo Gems: 6/31

Word.

19. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Darn skippy!

I love playing with "nerfed" stats.

20. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

@Klorox and chevalier:
    Do you play with low stats when you are not metagaming or replaying ?

Low stat paladin in BG1 isn't that fun.

Low strength - can hardly wear his armor and has to shift loot to stronger party members or even leave it behind
    Low dex - low kill percentage in the party since others hit far better with their bows
    Low dex,low con make the paladin vulnerable and lead to other party members doing the heroic front line fight.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.